• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Critical Look at the 2017 Washington Schedule/with predictions en sech

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The narrative on how to stay with the Huskies hasn't changed. You rush Browning and hope he makes a couple bad decisions. Now you have to score too so you can't just have a defense.You have to have the defensive personnel to pull that plan off. With Browning rehabing his surgically repaired shoulder I doubt his arm is stronger so I imagine most D coordinators are going to use that strategy. I would think Stanford and UCLA are the two teams on their schedule who have the players who can disrupt the Husky offense. UCLA is jeckle and hyde but they do have the athletes . Utah is always tough on defense but even if they can limit the Husky offense I doubt they have the offense to score more than them.
I would think the Huskys will be favored in all of their games unless Stanford beats USC in game two of the season and I could see Stanford being favored over them. But like wiz said even the best PAC teams of the past decade rarely went undefeated.
Getting pressure on browning. And spreading the ball on offense. Does seem to be the most effective formula. But the PAC is the PAC. At times it's almost like success and hype are a bad thing. In truth any team can win on any given day. I do cringe more when I see Thursday games on the schedule tho

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting pressure on browning. And spreading the ball on offense. Does seem to be the most effective formula. But the PAC is the PAC. At times it's almost like success and hype are a bad thing. In truth any team can win on any given day. I do cringe more when I see Thursday games on the schedule tho

Washington played two teams who had the defensive personnel to attack them that way (USC-Bama) and both were successful. They both also had the offense to take advantage. Except for two interceptions everything went right for USC and Alabama was just too talented . I expect Peterson to run a different offense when they play Stanford and UCLA. Maybe he drops Browning back a little farther and maybe he does a lot more quick passes to that RB of theres or controlled roll outs. It will be interesting to see those two games. If USC does get to the Pac championship game they wiil have at least seen most of the playbook.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nervous about getting that Oregon State type treatment no doubt.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington played two teams who had the defensive personnel to attack them that way (USC-Bama) and both were successful. They both also had the offense to take advantage. Except for two interceptions everything went right for USC and Alabama was just too talented . I expect Peterson to run a different offense when they play Stanford and UCLA. Maybe he drops Browning back a little farther and maybe he does a lot more quick passes to that RB of theres or controlled roll outs. It will be interesting to see those two games. If USC does get to the Pac championship game they wiil have at least seen most of the playbook.
I agree to give Browning his best shot against aggressive defenses. They may have to add more wrinkles. Whether it be screen packages. Or more production out of the run game when playing solid defenses. The thing I'm most curious about their depth. King and Jones were beasts locking down the outside. That's going to be a hard transition imo. Especially in the with PAC WRs.They weren't exactly players you just replace. A solid defense with the right system. And a productive offense. Could pose a legitimate threat

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nervous about getting that Oregon State type treatment no doubt.
Thursday's haven't been kind to SC. Oregon State and a few others will always have me a bit on edge. When it comes to Thursday games. Or the PAC in general. I'm never confident with Stanford or Utah either.ASU hit SC late recently too tho. The PAC is a shoot out

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA and Oregon will be much better this year. It's a very favorable schedule with most of their tough games coming at home. However, that road game against Stanford won't be easy.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, pressuring the QB and spreading the ball around when your offense is out is the key to beating UW? I mean isn't that about as vanilla a set of requisites as exists in football?

Every team goes through changes from year to year with the attrition.

Browning for sure will be working himself back into form early on with his rehab and he lost his favorite deep threat. Still, McClatcher is a hell of a speedster in his own right that can still take the top off a defense and now they will finally add a couple of tall 50/50 ball kind of possession receivers to work more of that middle distance game.

The thing is, UW is also faced with something they have never been fortunate enough to have in all of their recorded history: A returning pair of RB's that combined for over 2k yards the prior year. For all of the past RB studs that graced the shores of Montlake, never have they had this experienced returning depth. Add an O line with increased experience and I can see them relying on the run a lot more in those big games next year. Their running game wasn't nearly effective enough against the top teams and it's something I expect them to address more this year. They know they can't rely on just the passing game against those big time teams. It's far more about making them one dimensional than to simply say rush Browning for the win.

If UW hopes to run the table they MUST improve on their run blocking against bigger more physical teams. If you can't get the other teams defense to respect your running game they just sit back and bracket whatever key players you have in the passing game and make it very hard to keep drives alive. That's football 101.

Saying just take their run game away and actually doing so are two different things.

The only unit they will be returning that won't have experienced depth is their defensive secondary and so far the younger kids taking over back there look the part of making a unit ready to defend a Pac12 title. And the good news for them is that young unit gets a front half schedule that is about as forgiving as you could have planned for. The first real test of that UW running game isn't likely coming until at least the 7th game @ASU and the first real test of that secondary might be the next 2 games after the bye at home against UCLA and then Herbert and the ducks high flying offense. Both at home.

The back half has a few places to trip up, but that front half gives them a lot of time to work out bugs and get ready for the stretch run.

UW still doesn't have, and won't have anytime soon, the depth that USC does. Stanford too at least on the lines. So injuries are the one area that most threatens a deep UW run. There are a few positions that substantial injuries could really wreck their chances. Without those injuries I'd expect something between 10-2 and 12-0 with 11-1 at least likely.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, pressuring the QB and spreading the ball around when your offense is out is the key to beating UW? I mean isn't that about as vanilla a set of requisites as exists in football?

Every team goes through changes from year to year with the attrition.

Browning for sure will be working himself back into form early on with his rehab and he lost his favorite deep threat. Still, McClatcher is a hell of a speedster in his own right that can still take the top off a defense and now they will finally add a couple of tall 50/50 ball kind of possession receivers to work more of that middle distance game.

The thing is, UW is also faced with something they have never been fortunate enough to have in all of their recorded history: A returning pair of RB's that combined for over 2k yards the prior year. For all of the past RB studs that graced the shores of Montlake, never have they had this experienced returning depth. Add an O line with increased experience and I can see them relying on the run a lot more in those big games next year. Their running game wasn't nearly effective enough against the top teams and it's something I expect them to address more this year. They know they can't rely on just the passing game against those big time teams. It's far more about making them one dimensional than to simply say rush Browning for the win.

If UW hopes to run the table they MUST improve on their run blocking against bigger more physical teams. If you can't get the other teams defense to respect your running game they just sit back and bracket whatever key players you have in the passing game and make it very hard to keep drives alive. That's football 101.

Saying just take their run game away and actually doing so are two different things.

The only unit they will be returning that won't have experienced depth is their defensive secondary and so far the younger kids taking over back there look the part of making a unit ready to defend a Pac12 title. And the good news for them is that young unit gets a front half schedule that is about as forgiving as you could have planned for. The first real test of that UW running game isn't likely coming until at least the 7th game @ASU and the first real test of that secondary might be the next 2 games after the bye at home against UCLA and then Herbert and the ducks high flying offense. Both at home.

The back half has a few places to trip up, but that front half gives them a lot of time to work out bugs and get ready for the stretch run.

UW still doesn't have, and won't have anytime soon, the depth that USC does. Stanford too at least on the lines. So injuries are the one area that most threatens a deep UW run. There are a few positions that substantial injuries could really wreck their chances. Without those injuries I'd expect something between 10-2 and 12-0 with 11-1 at least likely.

With Brownings ,injury I think teams will take their chances on him being able to consistently hit on the deep ball . So they will stack the box more than they did last year because of what you said (the running backs ). He's going to have to hit some big plays to keep those defenses honest. A lot riding on how well that shoulder healed.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Brownings ,injury I think teams will take their chances on him being able to consistently hit on the deep ball . So they will stack the box more than they did last year because of what you said (the running backs ). He's going to have to hit some big plays to keep those defenses honest. A lot riding on how well that shoulder healed.
I think one of the most encouraging things that came out of spring was the performance of the tight ends. It's been since ASJ that UW had a legit threat you had to pay attention to at TE and there is a lot of optimism that there are at least two coming out of spring, and possibly a third. Add Brayden Lenius looking like he's on the come (6'5" 220) and a couple of very dangerous 6' ish freshmen coming in that all are possession type receivers and I could see quite a few changes to the passing game in general this year. I honestly think they will have a lot more options in the shorter/medium passing game. I don't think they will have to rely nearly as much on forcing the safeties back to find success in that range. Should help bring up his numbers overall.

The questions for UW when it comes to playing USC, Stanford, and whatever high talent team they may draw in the post season is just the obvious need to improve on both lines. They will be out sized so they really need to out-scheme and just execute better. To me it's more about the defense and the pass rush against those teams. They will not have success letting Darnold run around with 5+ seconds every play. Victor coming back with a vengeance will certainly help and Vea is a force, but they need a few others to step up against those big time teams and get something done in the backfield.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington has an easy schedule. I could see them possibly running the table.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington will get left out on weakness of schedule based on playing no one out of conference.