• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A basketball version of the Champions League has finally arrived

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A basketball version of the Champions League has finally arrived. It just isn't going to mirror soccer's version.

USA Today's Sam Amick reported a new league, filled largely with former NBA players, is expected to launch with 16 teams from all over the country. The Champions League is not affiliated with the NBA but will base a number of its teams in already-occupied markets. CEO Carl George indicated the league's goal is to not compete with the NBA but to offer competitive basketball during the offseason.

Amick named Al Harrington, Rasheed Wallace and Maurice Ager among the former NBAers who have already committed to playing for the New York team. The league has roughly 60 players in place thus far and has a goal of each roster boasting at least two former All-Stars.

“As surprising as it might sound, it comes as a surprise to most of (the players) when their career does come to an end,” George told Amick. “What we become, then, is a transition from that point forward. And we’re thrilled to be at that place. We’re the next step in the evolution."

The plan, as it stands, it to make the Champions League a more attractive alternative to the NBA's D-League. Currently, D-Leaguers who are not signed to NBA contracts earn a maximum of $25,000. (Players could earn as little as $13,000.) By contrast, George said the average Champions League player would earn around $200,000.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miss watching Rasheed Wallace and Al Harrington play? Well, you are in luck.

According to USA Today's Sam Amick, several former NBA players like Wallace will be playing in a new summer basketball league called the Champions League. The league is set to debut in the summer of 2016.

Behold The Champions League, a non-NBA affiliated venture where the league's chairman and CEO, Carl George, is hoping to provide family-friendly and affordable entertainment during the NBA's downtime. The vision, expected to be announced formally today, looks like this.

Sixteen teams to begin competing in the summer of 2016, with a strong preference for players who have competed in the NBA during the last three years. According to George, the New York team is already fully formed and includes former NBA players Al Harrington, Rasheed Wallace and Maurice Ager. Teams in Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Miami, Orlando, Atlanta and Cleveland are up next, with the goal to employ approximately 250 players in all (170 on teams, others as player-coaches or in other roles). Each team would have two former NBA All-stars on the roster and a Hall of Famer in the front office. George said that 60 players have committed to this point, with many more “in the pipeline” while the subsequent teams are rolled out.

Approximately 30 games to be played in July and August, with 10 charity/marketing events in non-NBA markets during the non-season months also included as part of a player's compensation package. On average, George said, players would make approximately $200,000 per year (for 80 or 90 days of work) in their pay structure if they take part in both the season and the charity events.

The first charity game, scheduled to be aired on ESPN's digital channel, ESPN3, will take place on Jan. 29 in Saint Louis University's Chaifetz Arena. Among the expected participants in that game, according to George: Rip Hamilton, Brandon Roy, Josh Howard and Harrington.

While it remains to be seen how much game guys like Wallace, Harrington and even Rip Hamilton have left, The Champions League sounds like a very promising idea. As soon as the NBA season ends, there is always a dearth of professional basketball so The Champions League could help fill this void.

For retired players, The Champions League is a way for them to connect and still be involved in the game of basketball. As former NBA player Keyon Dooling told Amick, they are not playing for the money.

"It's not about the money," Dooling, who still serves the NBA Players Association as the Western region player representative, told USA TODAY Sports. "Most guys will tell you that they miss the community in the locker room, the camaraderie in the locker room, they miss their favorite restaurants that they used to travel to in all these different cities, that they miss the noise of the crowd. Those are some things that even a hundred million dollars can't fill that void."

The Champions League is not the first basketball endeavor aimed at former players. The Basketball Tournament uses a million dollar prize to get former players like Mike Bibby and Brian Scalabrine to play in a March Madness-stylized tournament. The Champions League is not a winner take all type of tournament though and seems to be more focused on helping former NBA players and top level college players play in a competitive setting in front of fans. We will see how it all turns out this summer but just the promise of Wallace suiting up and playing again already makes The Champions League interesting and exciting.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds awesome!!!
"and 41 year old rasheed wallace grabs his back"

most guys will be blazing in the parking lot pregame. it will be interesting, but probably a hot mess overall.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"and 41 year old rasheed wallace grabs his back"

most guys will be blazing in the parking lot pregame. it will be interesting, but probably a hot mess overall.
I like the idea, but I definitely see what you're saying.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds awesome!!!

I'd watch it -- but only if some of the following guys play ... Oliver Miller, Shawn Kemp, Sprewell (with PJ as coach), Eddie Curry, Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum, ...

(I'm mainly joking ... wouldn't watch it.)

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd watch it -- but only if some of the following guys play ... Oliver Miller, Shawn Kemp, Sprewell (with PJ as coach), Eddie Curry, Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum, ...

maybe vin baker can use some of his starbucks vacation time?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds really cool. It will be great to hopefully see guys who gt too old to be in the NBA anymore, continue playing. How cool would it be to possibly see guys like Kobe, Duncan, etc. and then a little further down the road, guys like Melo and Lebron continuing to play?

I'd absolutely watch.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey, look who's back?

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a cute idea but this league would go bankrupt within a couple years. If I wanna watch a bunch of old men play basketball I'll go to a local 24 hour fitness. I ain't paying $ to watch this shit.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. When I saw the thread title, I was expecting that it would be about something similar to soccer's Champions League. Watching old guys on random made-up teams was not what I expected. I thought it would be something like the Warriors facing the champs of other pro leagues around the world.