• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

9ers trade for CB

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tampa Bay Buccaneers trade Eric Wright to San Francisco 49ers for conditional draft pick - ESPN

9ers trade for Tampa CB Eric Wright. Could be a productive move if he can turn around from a down year last year.

It seems that the 9ers are a perceiving CB as a weak depth position and are trying to address this?

Now the part that is a bit funny to me: Wright was both arrested on an undisclosed misdemeanor charge and in addition suspended for PEDs last year!

Now I am sad that the ESPN board is down. I would love to hear machprincess, Stupor, and Juicyfruit spin this into a "he didn't do any of this when he was in SF angle", while they continued to spam about any and every Seahawk related issue. That admitably would have been funny!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Harbaugh felt the need to bash our PED situation and saying how his team is above that kind of the stuff.
Then he goes out and aquires a guy that has already been suspended before for PED's.

Makes perfect sense huh

Kyle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Guys, I couldn't have said what you both just said any better!!!

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all fairness. I really don't care about the 9ers picking up a player who has used PEDs. Just like the Seahawks players, he has served his punishment and he will be tested again. If he is breaking the rules he will be caught again.

If the 9ers (or any team) can find a player who can improve their team then more power to 'em for doing so.

However, yes, it is hypocritical of Harbaugh to preach on one side and then go directly against it later. I have a lot of respect for Harbaugh as a coach but very little respect for him as a man. It also would have been fun to bash the trolls on this one!

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all fairness. I really don't care about the 9ers picking up a player who has used PEDs. Just like the Seahawks players, he has served his punishment and he will be tested again. If he is breaking the rules he will be caught again.

If the 9ers (or any team) can find a player who can improve their team then more power to 'em for doing so.

However, yes, it is hypocritical of Harbaugh to preach on one side and then go directly against it later. I have a lot of respect for Harbaugh as a coach but very little respect for him as a man. It also would have been fun to bash the trolls on this one!

Harbaugh is hypocritical.... No doubt about it...

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys realize that personnel decisions like trades usually go through the GM right? I'm sure Harbaugh does have some input, but it's not likely that he himself called up Tampa Bay and hammered out a deal. Not a huge fan of the deal, simply because it means we can't bash Seattle's CB's for their rampant PED use, but like you already pointed out, he wasn't helping us win games by cheating. Wright sounds like a bad headline waiting to happen. He is a good football player, hopefully he cleans up his act in a hurry.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys realize that personnel decisions like trades usually go through the GM right? I'm sure Harbaugh does have some input, but it's not likely that he himself called up Tampa Bay and hammered out a deal. Not a huge fan of the deal, simply because it means we can't bash Seattle's CB's for their rampant PED use, but like you already pointed out, he wasn't helping us win games by cheating. Wright sounds like a bad headline waiting to happen. He is a good football player, hopefully he cleans up his act in a hurry.

Red is that you? Welcome, you always seemed like a good poster over on ESPN.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The relationship between Baalke and Harbaugh is probably a lot like the relationship between Schneider and Carroll here. In other words, he's not going to bring in anyone that Harbaugh doesn't want, especially if it means giving up draft picks to get him. There are some GM-coach relationships where the GM and the coach aren't on the same page in terms of personnel... so either the coach has the final say on all personnel that gets brought in and dictates what he wants to the GM or the GM has the final say and tells the coach to make it work. I get the sense that it's more of a collaborative effort down there than one person dictating to the other.

Anyway, Harbaugh took a veiled swipe at the Seahawks and this move can be interpreted as hypocrisy if Harbaugh has as much of a say as I think he has (maybe not the final say, but enough of one to make sure that he doesn't get any players he doesn't want) or it could be interpreted as Baalke making a move that basically ignores what Harbaugh says he doesn't want in a player and kind of undermines Harbaugh... or they both really just want to give this guy a chance and if he screws up in a Niner uniform, he's gone. My money is on the latter, but there are going to be people who are going to go with the first or second scenario here too.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news.

With Wright, Whitner, Dahl, and Fraudomugha out there, will be 52-13 this time.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news.

With Wright, Whitner, Dahl, and Fraudomugha out there, will be 52-13 this time.

This is special, with Reid also missing tackles, but give Reid credit for making that big hit after a 37 yard completion down the seam, good hit Reid!!!! Ist DOWN.

Our LBer's are good, SF's are the best.
Our overall D is exciting, looking forward to 1st practice.
Our O is even better.
:suds:

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red is that you? Welcome, you always seemed like a good poster over on ESPN.

You bet Harold. I always try to pretty fair in my opinions, with an obvious lean towards to good side ;) Look forward to continuing rational debates with the opposing fan bases over here. I joined SportsHoopla about the time I bought a house and started reproducing, so I never got a chance to get into it, but it's a great site. Are you a mod here? If so that's great. You know the difference between healthy debate with a side of trash talking and trolling.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ried is a SS. Fast. Big Hitter. But he gets burned in pass coverage all game long. I'm not buying for a sec that SF plans to make him a FS in the NFL. He'll prob be their starting SS by 2014, and could be a good one, but SF still doesn't have jack at FS pass coverage, and their CBs are meh.

Pass it on that garbage all game long while keeping their front 7 busy trying deal with BeastMode and the Read Option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The relationship between Baalke and Harbaugh is probably a lot like the relationship between Schneider and Carroll here. In other words, he's not going to bring in anyone that Harbaugh doesn't want, especially if it means giving up draft picks to get him. There are some GM-coach relationships where the GM and the coach aren't on the same page in terms of personnel... so either the coach has the final say on all personnel that gets brought in and dictates what he wants to the GM or the GM has the final say and tells the coach to make it work. I get the sense that it's more of a collaborative effort down there than one person dictating to the other.

Anyway, Harbaugh took a veiled swipe at the Seahawks and this move can be interpreted as hypocrisy if Harbaugh has as much of a say as I think he has (maybe not the final say, but enough of one to make sure that he doesn't get any players he doesn't want) or it could be interpreted as Baalke making a move that basically ignores what Harbaugh says he doesn't want in a player and kind of undermines Harbaugh... or they both really just want to give this guy a chance and if he screws up in a Niner uniform, he's gone. My money is on the latter, but there are going to be people who are going to go with the first or second scenario here too.

Well, first and foremost I think you are reading way to much into his comments if you think he took a "veiled swipe" at Seattle. His comments were taken out of context to some extent. He is an NFL head coach who is obligated to talk to the media. PC is very PC about the things he says and does. Always has been. JH is the exact opposite. If he is asked a question, which he was, he will answer as straight forward and honestly as possible. Seattle players and fans seem to think that he made a point to go out of his way to trash talk Seattle when the reality is far from the perception. JH has some traits that I certainly care for, but he certainly knows how to get the job done on Sundays, and as long as he does that, what more could I really ask for?

As far as a "veiled swipe" as you put it, physically threatening an opposing head coach is pretty damn low IMO, and two your boys did it. JH is a egotistical maniac and he's bat shit crazy. PC should muzzle your guys before they start writing checks they can't cash ;)

And like I said, I have no doubt Harbs has a say in personnel decisions, but he is far from the top dog, so let's not pretend that he called up Schianno and worked up deal on his own. We are getting a guy who was set to make $8-9 Million a year for $1.5 M with no guaranteed money, and it will likely cost us a 6th or 7th round pick? I don't know much about the guy. If he improves our secondary and doesn't kill anybody(outside of Percy Harvin) in the process, it's pretty much a no lose deal.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now see this is what I'm talking about, some good rational back and forth from real NFL fans. This is going be fun!
Yes Red I'm a mod here and want poster from other boards to know...I encourage a healthly debate among rational fans, but hard core trolls that think they can camp out and harass Seahawks fans will be shown the door. You know the type.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it's true JH probably has little input into those deals, but he knows that as well as he knows what he's saying when he bashes Seattle for the PED thing. He has to know that other players have been suspended for drugs and those players could be joining his team any time and that he should keep his mouth shut so he doesn't look like a hypocrite.

These are thought processes rational adults go through before they open their mouths. JH though, says whatever he wants in the heat of some imaginary competition he's always in. Even his brother said so. Since they were kids he's always had to win everything. The guy could never play in a celebrity softball game without everyone hating him immediately.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's not a move you do backflips over but I still like it because I like the philosophy behind it.

CB is an area of weakness so bring in guys like Nnamdi and Wright that have basically 0 risk and let everyone compete. These guys know not everybody is going to make the final cut so that's going to push everyone to work even harder.

So even if Wright doesn't make the team his presence will have made the other guys better because they had to step it up to fend him off from taking one of their jobs.

Also with guys like Wright and Nnamdi you never know what a different locker room and a different set of coaches will do. Maybe the respond better to their environment and you bring something out of them and if not you you cut them and it's not a loss to you.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a move you do backflips over but I still like it because I like the philosophy behind it.

CB is an area of weakness so bring in guys like Nnamdi and Wright that have basically 0 risk and let everyone compete. These guys know not everybody is going to make the final cut so that's going to push everyone to work even harder.

So even if Wright doesn't make the team his presence will have made the other guys better because they had to step it up to fend him off from taking one of their jobs.

Also with guys like Wright and Nnamdi you never know what a different locker room and a different set of coaches will do. Maybe the respond better to their environment and you bring something out of them and if not you you cut them and it's not a loss to you.

100% agree, its the same thing Pete Carrel did for the Seahawks bringing in talent like Chris Clemons, Brandon Mebane;Mike Williams (one year) and Red Bryant. Getting them for low value and coaching or changing there potions for Mebane to allow them to flourish. Now obviously you don't hit every time such as Kevin Winslow the 3, and TO. But at least there doing everything within there power in order to get success.

That's why I can't fault the 49ners for there recent moves (as mentioned above) and I feel the hiring of
Harbaugh might have been there best decision they made in the last decade. They seemed too always have the talent (needed Qb help) but never seemed to put it to together. I remember a quote a few years ago about how Harbaugh came in and players where talking about how amazing it was to have a game plan to attack made everything different, which lets face it tells us everything we needed to know about Mike Singletary.

Yet as a person Harbaugh comes across as the guy who knows it all and is better than everyone else in the room. Where after five mins you'd want to punch in the head to shut him up or get away from him. He just seem like the kind of guy you wouldn't want to hang out it, Maybe I'm wrong after all I have never met him and can only go off what the media shows me but his personality off the field strikes me as having a God complex and not someone you'd like to drink a beer with.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree, its the same thing Pete Carrel did for the Seahawks bringing in talent like Chris Clemons, Brandon Mebane;Mike Williams (one year) and Red Bryant. Getting them for low value and coaching or changing there potions for Mebane to allow them to flourish. Now obviously you don't hit every time such as Kevin Winslow the 3, and TO. But at least there doing everything within there power in order to get success.

That's why I can't fault the 49ners for there recent moves (as mentioned above) and I feel the hiring of
Harbaugh might have been there best decision they made in the last decade. They seemed too always have the talent (needed Qb help) but never seemed to put it to together. I remember a quote a few years ago about how Harbaugh came in and players where talking about how amazing it was to have a game plan to attack made everything different, which lets face it tells us everything we needed to know about Mike Singletary.

Yet as a person Harbaugh comes across as the guy who knows it all and is better than everyone else in the room. Where after five mins you'd want to punch in the head to shut him up or get away from him. He just seem like the kind of guy you wouldn't want to hang out it, Maybe I'm wrong after all I have never met him and can only go off what the media shows me but his personality off the field strikes me as having a God complex and not someone you'd like to drink a beer with.

I understand the sentiment, but Red Bryant and Brandon Mebane were already in Seattle when Carroll arrived. Bryant was underachieving at DT for a couple years (10 games) but Mebane had been our starter since 2007.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Wright failed his physical, so he's being put on a plane back to Tampa with a Return to Sender stamp on his forhead.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wright failed his physical, so he's being put on a plane back to Tampa with a Return to Sender stamp on his forhead.

Maybe I'm wrong here, NS, but couldn't you have sent the docs to Tampa to do a physical prior to
the trade being announced? :noidea:

Harbaugh is harping on the Hawks for PED's that were player decisions. Trading for Wright was saying
hey, we really don't care about PED or Booze abuse, we need some secondary depth and will trade for
it.