• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9/26 2014 @ 2012

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes, I stayed just long enough to see Parker completely botch that play. That's where he will struggle, route running and footwork. Okay, now I'm out.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if there was any notion at all that they might bring Vogey back for 2016, I think that has been dismissed.

You had a nice run here, Vogey. You are set for life - now go live it.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got an update on my phone that said Parker hit another home run. Wow, will need to watch replay of that later. Then realized the score :L

It's good that these rookies are getting experience, unfortunate that it's because of injury. If the team can stay healthier next year though, we know we have a tremendous amount of depth in the minors.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit. He hit another.

Dude is Jesus Guzman and Ryan Duvall set to 11. If he can just play near average defense...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have had Hudson and Zito throw out the ceremonial first pitch, and then take a bow to the crowd. This is downright embarrassing. Zito pummeled by a weak Giants lineup. And Hudson couldn't find the strike zone.

Well, the string of 5-4 losses has ceased. 8-4 A'ssssssss.

I really hate to see Hudson and Vogey pitch so terribly. And I hate seeing the bats go silent now that the AAA pitcher is out of the game.

Nice job, Colin. :heh:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants rookies have 12 hits in this game, and a rookie is in line for the win. Again, unfortunate for all the injuries, but it's good to see that we have reinforcements.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care about his defense. He needs to be in the lineup.

Holy shit.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's good that these rookies are getting experience, unfortunate that it's because of injury. If the team can stay healthier next year though, we know we have a tremendous amount of depth in the minors.

The Giants have some tough choices for next season. Parker and Tomlinson have options (2 for Parker and 3 for Kelby), but you really don't want to park them in AAA if they can help out the team. But I wouldn't be surprised to see either (or both) start the season in Sac and be the first called up in case of IF/OF DL in SF.

The difficult choice is whether to use Parker as the 4th/5th OF, or Byrd. And they should think about that NOW, because if they don't want Byrd, then they have to sit him a game, and take him out late in games where we are leading, or as a double-switch. But that will look douch-baggery to the players (after playing Byrd every game almost since he was acquired) and the Giants don't normally do shit like that. I see them taking on Byrd (it's only one year, after all) and Parker getting called up when the first OF goes on the DL. Tomlinson *used* to be strictly a SS, then became a SS/2B, and last year was a 2B/SS. Looking at fielding %, he doesn't appear to be a great SS. So Adrianza remains the 'defensive' SS (if Craw is injured) and 3B (ditto Duffy) whereas Tomlinson becomes the replacement 2B and (if needed) SS. Williamson is pretty straightforward - he should be in Sac to start next season. He was in San Jose (A) in 2014, recovering from injury, then did both AA and AAA this year. A year or two 'seasoning' in Sac would be a good thing. Brown should start the season in Sac as well, since he has 3 options. He should be the 3rd catcher stashed in Sac in case of injury. Perez & Maxwell should be traded or released (no options, no talent). Duffy should be our starting 3B next year.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants have some tough choices for next season. Parker and Tomlinson have options (2 for Parker and 3 for Kelby), but you really don't want to park them in AAA if they can help out the team. But I wouldn't be surprised to see either (or both) start the season in Sac and be the first called up in case of IF/OF DL in SF.

The difficult choice is whether to use Parker as the 4th/5th OF, or Byrd. And they should think about that NOW, because if they don't want Byrd, then they have to sit him a game, and take him out late in games where we are leading, or as a double-switch. But that will look douch-baggery to the players (after playing Byrd every game almost since he was acquired) and the Giants don't normally do shit like that. I see them taking on Byrd (it's only one year, after all) and Parker getting called up when the first OF goes on the DL. Tomlinson *used* to be strictly a SS, then became a SS/2B, and last year was a 2B/SS. Looking at fielding %, he doesn't appear to be a great SS. So Adrianza remains the 'defensive' SS (if Craw is injured) and 3B (ditto Duffy) whereas Tomlinson becomes the replacement 2B and (if needed) SS. Williamson is pretty straightforward - he should be in Sac to start next season. He was in San Jose (A) in 2014, recovering from injury, then did both AA and AAA this year. A year or two 'seasoning' in Sac would be a good thing. Brown should start the season in Sac as well, since he has 3 options. He should be the 3rd catcher stashed in Sac in case of injury. Perez & Maxwell should be traded or released (no options, no talent). Duffy should be our starting 3B next year.
Honestly, I don't see why Aoki needs to be brought back, especially since Byrd will be almost guaranteed. That makes an outfield of Byrd, Pagan and Pence with Blanco as the 4th man. I see no reason why Parker shouldn't break spring 2016 with the team, unless . . . . Tomlinson looks really good in his offseason work as an outfielder. That would make him the super utility. He's also played some 3rd base in the minor leagues and would become a sort of poor man's (defensively) Arias with a better bat.

Brown will definitely be starting the season in triple A (unless Sanchez and Susac are both traded and the 3 major league invitee catchers don't play up to snuff). Since Perez will be out of options, I think you are right that he will be gone. Won't Maxwell be a minor league free agent at this point since he was assigned to Sacramento after clearing waivers?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I don't see why Aoki needs to be brought back, especially since Byrd will be almost guaranteed. That makes an outfield of Byrd, Pagan and Pence with Blanco as the 4th man. I see no reason why Parker shouldn't break spring 2016 with the team, unless . . . . Tomlinson looks really good in his offseason work as an outfielder. That would make him the super utility. He's also played some 3rd base in the minor leagues and would become a sort of poor man's (defensively) Arias with a better bat.

Brown will definitely be starting the season in triple A (unless Sanchez and Susac are both traded and the 3 major league invitee catchers don't play up to snuff). Since Perez will be out of options, I think you are right that he will be gone. Won't Maxwell be a minor league free agent at this point since he was assigned to Sacramento after clearing waivers?

You're talking about a guy who was going to make the All Star team before he got hurt. He's an excellent hitter and can be hidden on defense in LF. For $5MM? He's a steal. Of course you bring Aoki back.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Aoki's option HAS to be picked up. That does not mean, though, that he needs to be a Giant in '16. I expect a LOT of trades this off season. The Gs were destroyed by injuries this year, but what that did was expose the ridiculous depth this organization has. Except in starting pitching.

Trade, trade, trade.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're talking about a guy who was going to make the All Star team before he got hurt. He's an excellent hitter and can be hidden on defense in LF. For $5MM? He's a steal. Of course you bring Aoki back.

I agree that Aoki's option HAS to be picked up. That does not mean, though, that he needs to be a Giant in '16. I expect a LOT of trades this off season. The Gs were destroyed by injuries this year, but what that did was expose the ridiculous depth this organization has. Except in starting pitching.

Trade, trade, trade.

Disagree about the value of Aoki to the team. He's a good hitter, not a great hitter, in my opinion. I know that WAR can be a bit subjective, but his WAR for 2014 and 2015 was 2 combined. I'm not sure that's a cannot miss option exercised. Since Byrd is almost a lock to return, there's no need, in my opinion, to also carry Aoki, unless the Giants are serious to trade one of them. I don't see the Giants' need to carry both.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Marco, doesn't Parker only have one option year left? He was called up (contract purchased) in 2014 and was on the roster for about two days before being optioned to Fresno and then called up again this year and optioned about a week later to Sacramento.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree about the value of Aoki to the team. He's a good hitter, not a great hitter, in my opinion. I know that WAR can be a bit subjective, but his WAR for 2014 and 2015 was 2 combined. I'm not sure that's a cannot miss option exercised. Since Byrd is almost a lock to return, there's no need, in my opinion, to also carry Aoki, unless the Giants are serious to trade one of them. I don't see the Giants' need to carry both.
Fair enough -- he's a solid hitter who was having an excellent season prior to getting injured. WAR is tricky, but as a counting stat, it's dependent upon playing. Seaweed was well on his way to a 2+ WAR year prior to being hit with a pitch. At $5MM per WAR, he's a lock to earn his contract and quite likely to be a bargain. As for carrying both, what's the downside? ABs for Parker?

We can safely assume Oxy will miss significant time. Aoki and Pence are generally pretty dependable, as is Shark. Birdman will be 38 and likely to miss time as well. I see no downside in keeping both -- we have plenty of payroll to sign 2 SP this off season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about this game today.

Sure, the game was a complete dud (except for Parker), but the spectacle of having both teams honor both guys really is something special that I am not sure has ever happened (or will ever again).

This is the type of thing that makes me feel lucky to be a Giants fan (kudos to the A's as well, even though they apparently needed to be dragged into the idea kicking and screaming).