• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8/11 Tiggers @ Tweety (1:05pm)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is not signed past this season. If the FO thought this was not going to be the year to push all in for the postseason, why sell off some pieces and then add a piece? Yes, Flores is out for the season but this was a great chance to give more young hitters playing time to see what they have. Hitting in AAA tells you nothing these days. There will be no rebuild in 2025 so take advantage of 2024 to test out who to keep on the roster for next year.
But who is actually hitting in AAA that needs to hit in the MLB?

Lucky isn’t playing. Maybe Canha is taking ABs from Lucky, but Lucky has not played 1st at all, and that is primarily where Canha has been playing, so I don’t really see an apples/apples issue there. Encarnacion is getting a lot of playing time, and while he isn’t killing it, he isn’t embarrassing himself. Conforto has apparently been on fire, but I haven’t really seen that in real time. I still fully expect him to turn in a worthless AB every time he steps up, but the box scores are telling a different story over the last week or so. I guess that really just tells me he doesn’t instill confidence.

I was not in favor of the Canha trade at the time. But he has breathed some life into this clubhouse, and it didn’t cost us anything, so I see no harm.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Birdy still needs some work. He is super young, so that’s fine, but maybe penciling him into the rotation for next year may have been a little premature.
Agreed. OTOH, I’m ok with him figuring things out at the ML level if he gives us a decent outing 50% of the time. If it drops below that, then try Black, or Teng, or Roupp, etc and let Bird work it out in Sac. I think we can pencil him in to start the season in the rotation unless he implodes over the next 8 starts.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is not signed past this season. If the FO thought this was not going to be the year to push all in for the postseason, why sell off some pieces and then add a piece? Yes, Flores is out for the season but this was a great chance to give more young hitters playing time to see what they have. Hitting in AAA tells you nothing these days. There will be no rebuild in 2025 so take advantage of 2024 to test out who to keep on the roster for next year.
Agreed, but FZ is still trying to make the WC.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but FZ is still trying to make the WC.
By the way pushing hard and finishing the year strong, even if they fall short of the playoffs, can only help them re-sign guys like Chapman and Snell and get other FAs if they pursue them.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way pushing hard and finishing the year strong, even if they fall short of the playoffs, can only help them re-sign guys like Chapman and Snell and get other FAs if they pursue them.
The key .... but .... the other side of the coin is also in play ... if they self destruct (which I doubt) and falter badly it will make the FA market quite difficult. I don't believe they can reach the playoffs this year. Too many teams in front of them and quite a few games in the loss column behind ... but you never know. They just need to stay competitive ..

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key .... but .... the other side of the coin is also in play ... if they self destruct (which I doubt) and falter badly it will make the FA market quite difficult. I don't believe they can reach the playoffs this year. Too many teams in front of them and quite a few games in the loss column behind ... but you never know. They just need to stay competitive ..
Indeed, so better to compete and not self destruct then

There are a couple posters who think the team should just tank and play kids and not bother with winning games anymore, I disagree with that idea strongly. Finish strong and either make the playoffs or get close enough that FAs (and we!) see the potential to compete next year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking I was wrong about counting us out at the Trade Deadline. 1.5 games behind the Braves (-3 gms in the lost column). 4 game homestand with Atl starting tonight. We go 3:1 and we only need to jump the Cards (we finish with a 3gm home series vs STL) and which leave the Mets. We're -2gms behind the Mutts....

So it's not out of reach IF we avoid bonehead plays like yesterday. Up until the 8th last night I would have said having a vet like Canha would be a steady influence for the dugout. Now.... :noidea:

I'd rather have Cobb-on-a-short-leash with the hope he regains form and deal a few wins. Exporting him to CLE did nothing for our chances this year

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed, so better to compete and not self destruct then

There are a couple posters who think the team should just tank and play kids and not bother with winning games anymore, I disagree with that idea strongly. Finish strong and either make the playoffs or get close enough that FAs (and we!) see the potential to compete next year.
Tanking only made sense if they were to trade Snelk and Chappy. Since they didn’t, they may as well try to get in.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking I was wrong about counting us out at the Trade Deadline. 1.5 games behind the Braves (-3 gms in the lost column). 4 game homestand with Atl starting tonight. We go 3:1 and we only need to jump the Cards (we finish with a 3gm home series vs STL) and which leave the Mets. We're -2gms behind the Mutts....

So it's not out of reach IF we avoid bonehead plays like yesterday. Up until the 8th last night I would have said having a vet like Canha would be a steady influence for the dugout. Now.... :noidea:

I'd rather have Cobb-on-a-short-leash with the hope he regains form and deal a few wins. Exporting him to CLE did nothing for our chances this year
The only number in the standings that matters is the loss column. This “games back” bullshit is just noise.

the Giants are 3 out with 42 to play.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We aren’t ONLY behind the Braves, though. We are ALSO behind the Mutts and Turds.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanking only made sense if they were to trade Snelk and Chappy. Since they didn’t, they may as well try to get in.
Further, tanking doesn’t REALLY work in baseball.

How did Joey Bart work out for us?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only number in the standings that matters is the loss column. This “games back” bullshit is just noise.

the Giants are 3 out with 42 to play.
4 game home series vs ATL. Win the series and we are even or ahead in the loss column against them. We'll know Th
3 game home series vs StL. Win the series and we are ahead of them in the loss column
2 gms behind the Mets in the loss column, no games head to head.
Not impossible. Too early for the white flags

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 game home series vs ATL. Win the series and we are even or ahead in the loss column against them. We'll know Th
3 game home series vs StL. Win the series and we are ahead of them in the loss column
2 gms behind the Mets in the loss column, no games head to head.
Not impossible. Too early for the white flags
While you have it mapped .... it's not that straight forward. During the next 42 games many of the teams in front of us will also be playing each other. That means that one of them will always win. Any loss by us will be immediately felt. It's difficult trying to pass that many teams in front of you. It ca be done but you have very little wiggle room. Last I saw we wer 5 behind in the loss column. That's the number that counts.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While you have it mapped .... it's not that straight forward. During the next 42 games many of the teams in front of us will also be playing each other. That means that one of them will always win. Any loss by us will be immediately felt. It's difficult trying to pass that many teams in front of you. It ca be done but you have very little wiggle room. Last I saw we wer 5 behind in the loss column. That's the number that counts.
Yup.

Games back is MUCH less import than rank (how many teams are ahead of us).

And we can’t just ignore the Cubs and Reds behind us. The Cubs are as close to us as we are to the Braves. They can pass us in 2 days.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

Games back is MUCH less import than rank (how many teams are ahead of us).

And we can’t just ignore the Cubs and Reds behind us. The Cubs are as close to us as we are to the Braves. They can pass us in 2 days.
Agree, but it's not impossible. I'd given up at the trade deadline, I'm trying to be my better self - glass half full and all that - for a few more weeks

Let's go 3:1 vs Bravos and continue this discussion Th :thumb:

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But who is actually hitting in AAA that needs to hit in the MLB?

Lucky isn’t playing. Maybe Canha is taking ABs from Lucky, but Lucky has not played 1st at all, and that is primarily where Canha has been playing, so I don’t really see an apples/apples issue there. Encarnacion is getting a lot of playing time, and while he isn’t killing it, he isn’t embarrassing himself. Conforto has apparently been on fire, but I haven’t really seen that in real time. I still fully expect him to turn in a worthless AB every time he steps up, but the box scores are telling a different story over the last week or so. I guess that really just tells me he doesn’t instill confidence.

I was not in favor of the Canha trade at the time. But he has breathed some life into this clubhouse, and it didn’t cost us anything, so I see no harm.
Villar has hit decently in the big leagues this year but got dumped when Canha was acquired. They could bring up Auerbach too