• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9/11 Tower Day Beer Makers @ Snelk 6:45

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your last statement clearly defines the issue ...... also makes one wonder ..... what is our definition of a middling OF and what would be our expectations ....
Personally, I think the potential upside of Carny trumps any “vet leadership” that can be added by anyone on the FA market (non tenders may adjust that market, of course, and of course Soto and Belli are in a different class).

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why would he do that, when he can "honor" the opt out clause? Absolutely ludicrous to think a player, who has at best 15 years to make his money, should leave tens or hundreds of millions on the table because....loyalty?

He'll get 5/150 from somebody. Might be us.
Your answer is EXACTLY my point ... his (or Boras') ONLY purpose for taking this contract was to have the ability to opt out after the first year and test the FA market again. The only way he stays under contract is if he has a really horrible year here and can't get more in the FA market .... but can get another 30M and can try again next year. I do understand why he did what he did .... but he's NEVER going to leave tens and hundreds of millions on the table ... no player will ... and to quote your own words ... it's ludicrous to think so ....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your answer is EXACTLY my point ... his (or Boras') ONLY purpose for taking this contract was to have the ability to opt out after the first year and test the FA market again. The only way he stays under contract is if he has a really horrible year here and can't get more in the FA market .... but can get another 30M and can try again next year. I do understand why he did what he did .... but he's NEVER going to leave tens and hundreds of millions on the table ... no player will ... and to quote your own words ... it's ludicrous to think so ....
But but but…

He wants to stay here.

As long as we offer up the largest contract.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(I just realized I forgot to list Yaz…)

They all still have options (only Ramos and Villar used their final options this year).

But I don’t want a middling “vet” added. That just eats roster space. We have plenty of young, homegrown talent who can be shuttled between SF and Sacto if needed.

Looking at LOCKED roster spots in the OF right now…

Yaz (assuming his arb is picked up)
Lee (he technically has options, but…)
Ramos
Encarnacion

Everyone else I mentioned either is not under contract or has options (or isn’t really an OF).

I just don’t see room for an additional vet (middling) OFer. That would likely come at the expense of Encarnacion. While that wouldn't be Earth-shattering, I am not sure we would get enough added value to make it beneficial.
Oh, I agree (and I forgot about Yaz as well. I do think he is back). I just don't expect the Giants to agree.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear…

If they can somehow get Soto, AWESOME! I am all for that. I just don’t expect it. I am less “excited” to bring on Belli, but I don’t have a strong opinion on that either way atm. And if we are able to swing a trade for a solid 3rd (or better) OF, I am totally game. I just don’t think the current FA crop is exciting enough to bump any of our current crop of kids. I think we can find a real keeper between Carny, Crazy, Matos and Lucky (his future, I think, is in LF).

Carny - I “like” his bat, and his glove is MUCH better than I expected. I think he has a legit future in the league, but he may still be a couple years away from solid, so he may end up being a roster casualty, unfortunately.

Crazy - He passes the eye test with flying colors. I really like what I have seen from him so far. Not sure he is ready to be “handed” a job just yet, though. Overall, I like him more than Matos.

Matos - We have seen that he CAN get the job done. We have HEARD that he is stellar, defensively. But he is still super inconsistent, and quite frankly, I just haven’t seen the defense that everyone raved about. It actually concerns me that our “experts” touted that about the kid. How could they have gotten that SOOOO wrong?

Lucky - He hasn’t blown up the minors, but I think he has hit well enough to say his bat is ready for the bigs. But DAYUM is his glove atrocious. I am not even convinced that he can be trusted in the OF. If he proves to be a DH only, he would be a very disappointing bust from our farm.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read something that li thought was just crazy ... had to read it again ... this is just ...not sure what the word is ...

No team in the MLB has gone longer than 3 years without having a 30HR guy in the line up .... no team but the Giants that is. We are now finishing our 2nd DECADE and entering the 3rd. Our last 30HR guy was Bonds in 2004.

Found that hard to believe ...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read something that li thought was just crazy ... had to read it again ... this is just ...not sure what the word is ...

No team in the MLB has gone longer than 3 years without having a 30HR guy in the line up .... no team but the Giants that is. We are now finishing our 2nd DECADE and entering the 3rd. Our last 30HR guy was Bonds in 2004.

Dang!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As much as I pshaw the argument against Oracle, it is a pitchers park. So that is a factor.

But I have ranted for years about how this team has a generational problem with developing hitters. Bonds, FA. Kent, trade. Aurilia, trade. Burke, FA. Mitchell, trade. You need to go all the way back to Williams to find a player developed by the Giants who has hit 30 HRs (with the Giants - Duvall is the only other guy since to have done it at all, and they punted on him before he blew up).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a feature of the contract. Not a bug. We got him at the price we did precisely BECAUSE the opt out was there. Why complain about it?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight we get Fitz, Ramos, Carny, Crazy, and Wise. No Matos, no Luci.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually hope we don’t sign any outfielders, we have plenty to choose from that can be good to possibly great if we give them time.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt we sign an OF. I'm thinking Snell and Kim and call it an offseason

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear…

If they can somehow get Soto, AWESOME! I am all for that. I just don’t expect it. I am less “excited” to bring on Belli, but I don’t have a strong opinion on that either way atm. And if we are able to swing a trade for a solid 3rd (or better) OF, I am totally game. I just don’t think the current FA crop is exciting enough to bump any of our current crop of kids. I think we can find a real keeper between Carny, Crazy, Matos and Lucky (his future, I think, is in LF).

Carny - I “like” his bat, and his glove is MUCH better than I expected. I think he has a legit future in the league, but he may still be a couple years away from solid, so he may end up being a roster casualty, unfortunately.

Crazy - He passes the eye test with flying colors. I really like what I have seen from him so far. Not sure he is ready to be “handed” a job just yet, though. Overall, I like him more than Matos.

Matos - We have seen that he CAN get the job done. We have HEARD that he is stellar, defensively. But he is still super inconsistent, and quite frankly, I just haven’t seen the defense that everyone raved about. It actually concerns me that our “experts” touted that about the kid. How could they have gotten that SOOOO wrong?

Lucky - He hasn’t blown up the minors, but I think he has hit well enough to say his bat is ready for the bigs. But DAYUM is his glove atrocious. I am not even convinced that he can be trusted in the OF. If he proves to be a DH only, he would be a very disappointing bust from our farm.
Cray Cray has a super sweet swing. That isn’t taught, it’s his DNA. I‘d love to see the Giant stick with him

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Matos, no Luci.
Face Palm What GIF by SWR3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt we sign an OF. I'm thinking Snell and Kim and call it an offseason
Kim is having a pretty bad season. So assuming our PsTB still want him (and he has been linked to us since before we even had Lee), we may be able to get him for less.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is an argument that if the money is equal to somewhere else, he'd prefer to stay here.
Some of these guys are just grumps lol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel like we need more offense but not sure how to make that happen realistically (because we aren’t signing Soto)
I agree, but I don’t see signing another wave of Hanigers and Confortos will do anything other than block evaluation of farm potentials. Hey if we can land the Sotos of FAs, I’m all in. Just no more retreads