• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9/11 Tower Day Beer Makers @ Snelk 6:45

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O

No in other words he won’t give much of a hometown discount but if we pay market rate he’ll probably sign

He could have said “let’s see what happens “ or “I don’t want to worry about that until the season is over”
Market rate = top money. If team x offer 40M per year, that is market rate.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snelk not at his best, but when Carny, Yaz and Chappy go yard...he didn't need to be. Now that he's qualified for the win, I'd expect them to take him out.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snelk not at his best, but when Carny, Yaz and Chappy go yard...he didn't need to be. Now that he's qualified for the win, I'd expect them to take him out.
Must be a record for oldest player to hit a home run in MLB history.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that was the Giants' offense we've all grown to know and detest. At least it took to the 5th inning for ineptitude with runners in scoring position to make an appearance.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carny might be the real deal.

I hope they play Luci and Matos more down the stretch.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carny might be the real deal.

I hope they play Luci and Matos more down the stretch.
Seriously, there is no reason not to. They both should be in our long term picture. They should get as much experience as possible, regardless of results. Days off should be used to clear their heads if they get into slumps, but that is it.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, there is no reason not to. They both should be in our long term picture. They should get as much experience as possible, regardless of results. Days off should be used to clear their heads if they get into slumps, but that is it.
Would this mean we should not sign any other offense players for 2025?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the radio they said Snell has told the Giants he wants to stay and likes it here, just wants a fair market rate offer
While I understand his statement ... I also think he's just preaching the company like ... IMHO .... if he REALLY liked it here ... he would honor the 2nd year of his TWO YEAR contract and take the 30M rather than take the opt out and test the FA market again. What he really likes is the opportunity for a higher salary. Just don't think he was quite worth a 30M price tag for this year's contributions (I know it wasn't all his fault but 30M for this year's contribution is a little steep I think and then looking to take the opt out for a 'fair market price .... is a little over the top. What is he going to ask for now ... a 5 year contract with an opt out after each year?). Just not sure this is the type of player you want for a long term investment ... is this him or is it Boras?)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I understand his statement ... I also think he's just preaching the company like ... IMHO .... if he REALLY liked it here ... he would honor the 2nd year of his TWO YEAR contract and take the 30M rather than take the opt out and test the FA market again. What he really likes is the opportunity for a higher salary. Just don't think he was quite worth a 30M price tag for this year's contributions (I know it wasn't all his fault but 30M for this year's contribution is a little steep I think and then looking to take the opt out for a 'fair market price .... is a little over the top. What is he going to ask for now ... a 5 year contract with an opt out after each year?). Just not sure this is the type of player you want for a long term investment ... is this him or is it Boras?)
What you describe is the typical Boras' player. He'll say he likes it at his current location but that doesn't mean he really wants to stay there. As cal pointed out, fair market rate is determined by whoever is willing to pay the most on the free agent market. He'll only sign with the Giants if they outbid everyone else this winter (or early spring).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would this mean we should not sign any other offense players for 2025?
My comment was about THIS year. But we don’t need any middling OFers in this year’s FA market. We either get a stud, or e get no one. And I don’t think there are any stud OFers in this class that we will be seriously in on.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My comment was about THIS year. But we don’t need any middling OFers in this year’s FA market. We either get a stud, or e get no one. And I don’t think there are any stud OFers in this class that we will be seriously in on.
According to MLBTR, these are the top outfielders (at least the ones that made their Top 10 free agents list that is currently out):
Juan Soto (1)
Cody Bellinger (7) - assuming he opts out
Teoscar Hernandez (HM)
Tyler O'Neill (HM)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to MLBTR, these are the top outfielders (at least the ones that made their Top 10 free agents list that is currently out):
Juan Soto (1)
Cody Bellinger (7) - assuming he opts out
Teoscar Hernandez (HM)
Tyler O'Neill (HM)
I don’t see the Giants SERIOUSLY being in the mix for any of them.

OF COURSE the media will hype up our potential signing of Soto, but we all know that ain’t happening.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring any trade that totally change up our OF pool…

Lee
Ramos
Encarnacion
Matos
Fitzgerald (if we add a SS in FA)
Canha (if we keep him around as a 1B/OF - I am agnostic on that idea atm)
McCray
Meckler
Wade (if Eldridge goes crazy and takes over in SF early next year - not likely, but not impossible)
Luciano

That is a LOT of OF (and potential OF) bodies for 5(?) spots.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring any trade that totally change up our OF pool…

Lee
Ramos
Encarnacion
Matos
Fitzgerald (if we add a SS in FA)
Canha (if we keep him around as a 1B/OF - I am agnostic on that idea atm)
McCray
Meckler
Wade (if Eldridge goes crazy and takes over in SF early next year - not likely, but not impossible)
Luciano

That is a LOT of OF (and potential OF) bodies for 5(?) spots.
If you look at that list there is only two "proven" MLB players in that mix - Canha and Wade. The talk will be that there needs to be some veteran presence added. Now maybe that's an outfielder or two added as non roster invitees or late spring trades but I wouldn't be surprised if a mediocre "proven" outfielder is added this offseason.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at that list there is only two "proven" MLB players in that mix - Canha and Wade. The talk will be that there needs to be some veteran presence added. Now maybe that's an outfielder or two added as non roster invitees or late spring trades but I wouldn't be surprised if a mediocre "proven" outfielder is added this offseason.
(I just realized I forgot to list Yaz…)

They all still have options (only Ramos and Villar used their final options this year).

But I don’t want a middling “vet” added. That just eats roster space. We have plenty of young, homegrown talent who can be shuttled between SF and Sacto if needed.

Looking at LOCKED roster spots in the OF right now…

Yaz (assuming his arb is picked up)
Lee (he technically has options, but…)
Ramos
Encarnacion

Everyone else I mentioned either is not under contract or has options (or isn’t really an OF).

I just don’t see room for an additional vet (middling) OFer. That would likely come at the expense of Encarnacion. While that wouldn't be Earth-shattering, I am not sure we would get enough added value to make it beneficial.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why would he do that, when he can "honor" the opt out clause? Absolutely ludicrous to think a player, who has at best 15 years to make his money, should leave tens or hundreds of millions on the table because....loyalty?

He'll get 5/150 from somebody. Might be us.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(I just realized I forgot to list Yaz…)

They all still have options (only Ramos and Villar used their final options this year).

But I don’t want a middling “vet” added. That just eats roster space. We have plenty of young, homegrown talent who can be shuttled between SF and Sacto if needed.

Looking at LOCKED roster spots in the OF right now…

Yaz (assuming his arb is picked up)
Lee (he technically has options, but…)
Ramos
Encarnacion

Everyone else I mentioned either is not under contract or has options (or isn’t really an OF).

I just don’t see room for an additional vet (middling) OFer. That would likely come at the expense of Encarnacion. While that wouldn't be Earth-shattering, I am not sure we would get enough added value to make it beneficial.
Your last statement clearly defines the issue ...... also makes one wonder ..... what is our definition of a middling OF and what would be our expectations ....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why would he do that, when he can "honor" the opt out clause? Absolutely ludicrous to think a player, who has at best 15 years to make his money, should leave tens or hundreds of millions on the table because....loyalty?

He'll get 5/150 from somebody. Might be us.
I can’t fault the player for utilizing clauses in their contracts that are most beneficial to them. I can fault the parties that signed said contract, though.