• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9/17 Battle of the Basement

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This series will go a long way toward where these two teams draft next year. Here's who the Giants will trot out today:
Blanco - cf
Panik - 2nd
Longoria - 3rd
Crawford - ss
Hundley - c
Shaw - lf
Slater - rf
Garcia - 1st
Suarez - sp

Someone I completely forgot is on the roster - Abiatal Avelino. Hasn't played in 8 days, after striking out in his two MLB at-bats thus far.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE/THEY can win the Basement.

What "We/The Team" really need to do is play as many veterans who may not be with the team next so we can make sure any youngsters who could(should.... wait what am I saying) be playing don't get any experience after all what do they need that for. :gaah:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE/THEY can win the Basement.

What "We/The Team" really need to do is play as many veterans who may not be with the team next so we can make sure any youngsters who could(should.... wait what am I saying) be playing don't get any experience after all what do they need that for. :gaah:
You've got to reward the veterans for . . . something . . . like being a veteran!
I really do think all the playing time going to Hundley is due to the possibility that they really want him back next year and are trying extra hard not to burn bridges. Blanco and Pence are probably their swan songs (again, for Blanco). Crawford at least brings a great glove and possibility for some offense. Longoria is merely because they don't want to look bad on that trade (and because he's been historically good on defense). They are probably hoping that Panik recovers or trying to decide whether he's even on the team next year.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how's the '19 outfield projected? gorkys, shaw, duggar, mac, slate? any of these guys keepers for 2-4yrs?
Duggar's speed and defense seems to be the real deal but his bat is still a work in progress. And he needs to refine his base stealing game too. Still, he's a starter just for his defense.
Slater has gotten more playing time than any of the others. However, as he plays more and more, his numbers continue to decline. Defense seems to be a mixed bag too. I don't know if the declining numbers are an indicator of his abilities or contagious from whatever is in the gatorade in the clubhouse.
Williamson was intriguing, and usually hit whenever he got regular playing time in the big leagues, but that concussion really messed him up. The Giants never seemed very high on him, and his numbers are really skewed from part time playing. He doesn't do well as a bench player. I hope he gets a shot at starting next year but I have my doubts.
Of the 4, Shaw has the least amount of playing time. He looks pretty overmatched so far. I hope he can turn it around but I fully expect him to be stashed at Sacramento to start 2019.
Hernandez I'm not as high on as the others. He didn't look that good last year but was great the start of this year. However, like Slater, he's been the victim of an awful 2nd half. Maybe he still has some untapped potential. I don't know.
Here's what I think. The Giants will pick up some bats this offseason. 2nd base and the outfield are the most "logical" places to get those bats. I don't think that more than two of Duggar, Slater, Williamson, Shaw and Hernandez (maybe three) make Opening Day next year. Duggar seems the sure thing, provided he is healthy. We'll see how the rest shake out.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaw is really putting together some nice ABs lately. He can hit, he has a good hit tool, just needs to done down the aggressiveness.

Reactions: LHG
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duggar's speed and defense seems to be the real deal but his bat is still a work in progress. And he needs to refine his base stealing game too. Still, he's a starter just for his defense.
Slater has gotten more playing time than any of the others. However, as he plays more and more, his numbers continue to decline. Defense seems to be a mixed bag too. I don't know if the declining numbers are an indicator of his abilities or contagious from whatever is in the gatorade in the clubhouse.
Williamson was intriguing, and usually hit whenever he got regular playing time in the big leagues, but that concussion really messed him up. The Giants never seemed very high on him, and his numbers are really skewed from part time playing. He doesn't do well as a bench player. I hope he gets a shot at starting next year but I have my doubts.
Of the 4, Shaw has the least amount of playing time. He looks pretty overmatched so far. I hope he can turn it around but I fully expect him to be stashed at Sacramento to start 2019.
Hernandez I'm not as high on as the others. He didn't look that good last year but was great the start of this year. However, like Slater, he's been the victim of an awful 2nd half. Maybe he still has some untapped potential. I don't know.
Here's what I think. The Giants will pick up some bats this offseason. 2nd base and the outfield are the most "logical" places to get those bats. I don't think that more than two of Duggar, Slater, Williamson, Shaw and Hernandez (maybe three) make Opening Day next year. Duggar seems the sure thing, provided he is healthy. We'll see how the rest shake out.

i was really diggin' the pre-injury mac. hope that wasn't a fluke and he's able to recover

of the above i'd really like to see duggar stick for a while for his defense, hopefully the bat will come around.

of the rest, meh (though shaw needs at bats in meaningful games, and i have a soft spot for stanford's slater)