• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 10.05.22 - Last game of the year

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade - lf
Flores - 1b
Davis - 3b
Yastrzemski - rf
Slater - cf
Crawford - ss
Villar - dh
Proctor - 2b
Bart - c
Brebbia - p

So far, the Padres have messed up the excitement over Miller and Cotton. Hope today is the Giants' turn. I'd love to see the team finish at .500. Feels better than calling this a losing season.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do find it funny that Kapler, who loves in game moves and matchup changes, has subbed out zero hitters in the last game of the season, which often looks like spring training games.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we can say it wasn't a losing season.
First .500 season ever in Giants history. Right after the winningest one. Kinda weird.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team records in the FZ (and for 2020 through 2022, Scott Harris) era:
2019 77-85 (.475)
2020 29-31 (.483)
2021 107-55 (.660)
2022 81-81 (.500)
Total 294-252 (.538)

Compare to the Bobby Evans (under Brian Sabean) era:
2015 84-78 (.519)
2016 87-75 (.537)
2017 64-98 (.395)
2018 73-89 (.451)
Total 308-340 (.475)

FZ's team record had a steady climb the first two years after the team bottomed out in the 2nd to last year with Evans. Then 2021 happened. I still have no idea how it happened but it feels like even more of a mirage after 2022. This next year, I think, will be pivotal to how much longer FZ is in charge.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
‘15 - ‘18 was the “pay the piper’ years for ‘10 - ‘14. I have no prob with those years. FZ et al came in and tried to win with spit and bubble gum, delaying the rebuild by 5 years. Not trading Bum or Rodon or Belt were very short sighted decisions that we are paying for now (Not to mention trading FOR McCutchen and Longo)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
‘15 - ‘18 was the “pay the piper’ years for ‘10 - ‘14. I have no prob with those years. FZ et al came in and tried to win with spit and bubble gum, delaying the rebuild by 5 years. Not trading Bum or Rodon or Belt were very short sighted decisions that we are paying for now (Not to mention trading FOR McCutchen and Longo)
Unfortunately, I'm not sure that will change. Typically, only teams in complete rebuilds make (or don't make, in the case of McCutchen and Longoria) those kinds of moves. Regardless of the real impact, they need to show perceived moves towards immediate contention. The fickle general public like to know that the FO is doing SOMEthing with shiny names.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I pointed out at this past deadline, the Giants haven’t sold anyone of real value at any time since Williams to the Indians (Smith to the Braves is probably the biggest “sell” since)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I pointed out at this past deadline, the Giants haven’t sold anyone of real value at any time since Williams to the Indians (Smith to the Braves is probably the biggest “sell” since)
The Williams' deal was a very bitter pill at first, too. Williams was a bit of a fan favorite and he was shipped out for a bunch of unknowns. However, Kent proved the trade was worthwhile. That could have softened any future trades (unless it was Barry getting shipped out) for a time but that is too far gone, now, for the current fan base. Of course, who on this squad could come even close to Williams' stature? Rodon was good but he wasn't a known marquee player to most fans. If he was traded away, it would have been more about the team "giving up" on the season. Never mind that most fans wouldn't have connected the dots that this season was already a lost cause.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Williams' deal was a very bitter pill at first, too. Williams was a bit of a fan favorite and he was shipped out for a bunch of unknowns. However, Kent proved the trade was worthwhile. That could have softened any future trades (unless it was Barry getting shipped out) for a time but that is too far gone, now, for the current fan base. Of course, who on this squad could come even close to Williams' stature? Rodon was good but he wasn't a known marquee player to most fans. If he was traded away, it would have been more about the team "giving up" on the season. Never mind that most fans wouldn't have connected the dots that this season was already a lost cause.
I get the conundrum. It is a hard balancing act for baseball front offices to handle, for sure. But with the new regime coming in, that was the time to make the unpopular moves (trading Bum and Belt). There was still good feelings from the run that I think it could have been forgiven by the fans. Especially if they actually ended up getting a near all-star level every day player in return for Bum (something similar to Reynolds).

Instead, the new regime keeps Bum and trades FOR two over paid, over the hill players (Longo has been OK, but no where near the franchise-level player that he was in TB) to make sure the curtains looked good as the house burnt down.

I spelled out a pretty detailed plan at the time that would have had the Giants back in serious contention by ‘21 or ‘22. But granted, it ignored fan sentiment, and at the end of the day, that is the BIGGEST factor, not the piece to be ignored as we (I) am want to do.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the conundrum. It is a hard balancing act for baseball front offices to handle, for sure. But with the new regime coming in, that was the time to make the unpopular moves (trading Bum and Belt). There was still good feelings from the run that I think it could have been forgiven by the fans. Especially if they actually ended up getting a near all-star level every day player in return for Bum (something similar to Reynolds).

Instead, the new regime keeps Bum and trades FOR two over paid, over the hill players (Longo has been OK, but no where near the franchise-level player that he was in TB) to make sure the curtains looked good as the house burnt down.

I spelled out a pretty detailed plan at the time that would have had the Giants back in serious contention by ‘21 or ‘22. But granted, it ignored fan sentiment, and at the end of the day, that is the BIGGEST factor, not the piece to be ignored as we (I) am want to do.
And I think that is where long term vision should beat out short term loss. Sure, the fans are going to be pissed for a couple of years and the team will suffer through less revenue (not going to call it loss of revenue because they will still make money, just not as much) but if the FO knows what it is doing (and that is the assumption that we have, FZ is brilliant and knows what he is doing) then those fans will be back when the rebuild is complete.

So here is what I don't know, (well, one of many things I don't know) and I think we've talked about it before, how much of the lack of rebuild, and the dumb veteran trades, were FZ and how much was that the ownership group? I do fault either FZ or Harris (or both) for the dumb constant shuffle of players that seems generally pointless but I don't know if the lack of trades and some of the veteran trades are FZ's brainchildren or the ownership wanting to maximum short term revenue.