• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9/17 Battle of the Basement

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants are actually hitting against a rookie pitcher. This guy has a future (or really doesn't belong in the big leagues).

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duggar's speed and defense seems to be the real deal but his bat is still a work in progress. And he needs to refine his base stealing game too. Still, he's a starter just for his defense.
Slater has gotten more playing time than any of the others. However, as he plays more and more, his numbers continue to decline. Defense seems to be a mixed bag too. I don't know if the declining numbers are an indicator of his abilities or contagious from whatever is in the gatorade in the clubhouse.
Williamson was intriguing, and usually hit whenever he got regular playing time in the big leagues, but that concussion really messed him up. The Giants never seemed very high on him, and his numbers are really skewed from part time playing. He doesn't do well as a bench player. I hope he gets a shot at starting next year but I have my doubts.
Of the 4, Shaw has the least amount of playing time. He looks pretty overmatched so far. I hope he can turn it around but I fully expect him to be stashed at Sacramento to start 2019.
Hernandez I'm not as high on as the others. He didn't look that good last year but was great the start of this year. However, like Slater, he's been the victim of an awful 2nd half. Maybe he still has some untapped potential. I don't know.
Here's what I think. The Giants will pick up some bats this offseason. 2nd base and the outfield are the most "logical" places to get those bats. I don't think that more than two of Duggar, Slater, Williamson, Shaw and Hernandez (maybe three) make Opening Day next year. Duggar seems the sure thing, provided he is healthy. We'll see how the rest shake out.

I can see Duggar staying as a starter, provided he is healthy. He has not played a full season, well, ever, so there's that concern.

I can see Slater sticking as a 4th OF and he has some IF versatility (he has played 1st and 2nd)

Gorkys has been exposed as an 80 game player. His first 80 games were great, then he fell off a cliff. Perhaps with some better conditioning, he sticks. He's good on D, and has some speed.

Shaw needs to be given lots of rope. I just don't get all the "he's lost at the plate" stuff. Of course he is overmatched. But just about every young home run hitter was overmatched when they came up. Look at Seager, Pederson, Judge, etc. Let him play, give him a long leash, and for the love of Bonds, teach him how to hit the high fastballs. He ought to be able to launch them to Hayward.

I hope Mac recovers, but concussions are tricky.

I think we need an outside signing for OF, perhaps Markakis? But he's loving the ATL, and won't want to leave.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Duggar staying as a starter, provided he is healthy. He has not played a full season, well, ever, so there's that concern.

I can see Slater sticking as a 4th OF and he has some IF versatility (he has played 1st and 2nd)

Gorkys has been exposed as an 80 game player. His first 80 games were great, then he fell off a cliff. Perhaps with some better conditioning, he sticks. He's good on D, and has some speed.

Shaw needs to be given lots of rope. I just don't get all the "he's lost at the plate" stuff. Of course he is overmatched. But just about every young home run hitter was overmatched when they came up. Look at Seager, Pederson, Judge, etc. Let him play, give him a long leash, and for the love of Bonds, teach him how to hit the high fastballs. He ought to be able to launch them to Hayward.

I hope Mac recovers, but concussions are tricky.

I think we need an outside signing for OF, perhaps Markakis? But he's loving the ATL, and won't want to leave.
I was going to like that post, until I got to the last line. Markakis? He's having one of those late career seasons that are way out of proportion to his career. Pass.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to like that post, until I got to the last line. Markakis? He's having one of those late career seasons that are way out of proportion to his career. Pass.

In a very hitter friendly park. His defense has been good, though

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be curious if Boch shifts Blanco over to LF and has Gorkys enter in CF. The numbers say Gorkys should only play LF, and it doesn't matter to Blanco

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be curious if Boch shifts Blanco over to LF and has Gorkys enter in CF. The numbers say Gorkys should only play LF, and it doesn't matter to Blanco
Looks like you called it. What happened to Shaw? I had to step away from the game a bit after Shaw's double.