• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8/4 Huddy @ Gee

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Mays chimes in with another post unrelated to the game, the team, or the players.

:clap:

Isnt this post doing exactly what this post is complaining about?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MILK it.

Very good game, FYWW gets the game ball again.

tzill, PLEASE try to remember this the next time you want to shat all over a game day thread when we go down 2 runs in the first inning.

Stokes: we won a game where they scored first!

The mojo on this team is slowly turning...which we should've expected as we got healthy. Pagan will only help more...

Actually, they have won 16 of those this season. (And lost 39)

I think the mojo is turning, too.

Too bad about Cain, but I'd rather see him do it now and be ready for 2015 than wait until December and then not come back until the ASB. Peavy is an adequate replacement through the end of the season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's responding to a personal attack, which are violative of the TOS.

Or am I wrong?

Trolling is also a violation of TOS.

But we are all adults (and at least I thought) friends, so PLEASE lets not bring TOS into this.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One good thing about the Cain announcement is that it gives us a little extra 40-man flexibility.

I cant think of anyone in the org who needs to be added right now, but it might make a trade (or Castillo signing) just that much easier.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another thing I am starting to track. Walks and wins. In the last 11 games, including today, the Giants had 1 walk in 7 games and lost 5 of those games.

For the season:

0-1 Walks 12-21
2 Walks 12-16
3 Walks 11-7
4+ Walks 26-7

I have no idea whether this is causal, or accidental. When scoring a lot of runs, of course, the team tends to get more walks. But the Billy Beane obsession with OBP suggests that perhaps getting more men on base leads to more runs, and more wins.

The Giants' record this year is much better with more walks. Which continues to frustrate many of us with their hacktastic approach. Whether this is Bam Bam (my favorite target of choice) or the system wide approach to hitting, I don't know.

This may be a biblical "log" and "speck" thing for me, as I was ALWAYS swinging at the first pitch when I played baseball in HS and then softball in college and beyond until my hips gave out. My teammates would tell me, "Don't swing at the first pitch." I would say to myself, "Don't swing at the first pitch." I'd step into the batter's box, and it was like Pavlov's dog with the bell. Pitch. Stokes. Drool. Swing. :L

Of course, my softball salary was quite a bit lower than the Giants' hitters are making.

Nice game by Panik today, and by Guppy, and excellent pitching by FYWW. Again.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trolling is also a violation of TOS.

But we are all adults (and at least I thought) friends, so PLEASE lets not bring TOS into this.

Ok, how about this:

Let's just comment on the game, the players, and the team, and not each other.

Deal?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another thing I am starting to track. Walks and wins. In the last 11 games, including today, the Giants had 1 walk in 7 games and lost 5 of those games.

For the season:

0-1 Walks 12-21
2 Walks 12-16
3 Walks 11-7
4+ Walks 26-7

I have no idea whether this is causal, or accidental. When scoring a lot of runs, of course, the team tends to get more walks. But the Billy Beane obsession with OBP suggests that perhaps getting more men on base leads to more runs, and more wins.

The Giants' record this year is much better with more walks. Which continues to frustrate many of us with their hacktastic approach. Whether this is Bam Bam (my favorite target of choice) or the system wide approach to hitting, I don't know.

This may be a biblical "log" and "speck" thing for me, as I was ALWAYS swinging at the first pitch when I played baseball in HS and then softball in college and beyond until my hips gave out. My teammates would tell me, "Don't swing at the first pitch." I would say to myself, "Don't swing at the first pitch." I'd step into the batter's box, and it was like Pavlov's dog with the bell. Pitch. Stokes. Drool. Swing. :L

Of course, my softball salary was quite a bit lower than the Giants' hitters are making.

Nice game by Panik today, and by Guppy, and excellent pitching by FYWW. Again.

I have a feeling that this will tell more about the opposing pitcher than anything else. If the opposing team is giving up 4+ walks, the SP was almost certainly not on his A-game. Further, more baserunners lead to more runs, so it should be obvious that more walks = more runs.

However, in order to get more walks, you typically need to swing the bat less, which potentially leads to fewer hits.

As I mentioned in yesterdays GDT, the whole first-pitch swinging thing that we harp on is actually, saber-metrically-speaking, the smart way to go. This is not HS baseball where the pitcher is just trying to get close to the zone. This is the MLB, where even the most wild of pitchers still have pretty insane control. Pitchers want to get up 0-1, so the first pitch is likely going to be the best pitch you see the whole AB.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that this will tell more about the opposing pitcher than anything else. If the opposing team is giving up 4+ walks, the SP was almost certainly not on his A-game. Further, more baserunners lead to more runs, so it should be obvious that more walks = more runs.

However, in order to get more walks, you typically need to swing the bat less, which potentially leads to fewer hits.

As I mentioned in yesterdays GDT, the whole first-pitch swinging thing that we harp on is actually, saber-metrically-speaking, the smart way to go. This is not HS baseball where the pitcher is just trying to get close to the zone. This is the MLB, where even the most wild of pitchers still have pretty insane control. Pitchers want to get up 0-1, so the first pitch is likely going to be the best pitch you see the whole AB.

This is a good analysis, and what I think too.

Also, it's frustrating that the Giants swing at the first pitch a lot etc., but as cal said, it's usually the best pitch your are going to see. It is incredibly frustrating when a pitcher walks a guy on 4 or 5 pitches and the next guy comes up and swing at a bad first pitch, but I also think it has been more frustrating for us because frankly we have been trotting out bad hitters. Blanco, Perez, Duvall, Arias, Sanchez, Uggla etc. are severely over-matched for the level and/or are just bad hitters. And it gets magnified when they are playing everyday.

Obviously, it's best to have a good mix of the 2. When the Giants are 100%, they do have a good mix of free swingers and patient hitters. Posey, Belt and Craw offset Pablo, Morse. Pagan and Pence are middle of the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, how about this:

Deal?

I guess we can't offer BoB condolences on his father's passing then...

Look, what is your problem? This is a group of people yakking about sports. We've been doing it for years, so we kind of 'know' each other. When one of us gets weird, others bust their balls. If you get shatty, you gotta expect some ribbing about it. If you get trolly, you're gonna get pushback. You used to do it plenty!

You have every right to shat all day long, and we have every right to bust your balls when you do. Not a single post any of us including you has made violates the TOS.

So if this is how you want to post now, expect some ball-busting/teasing. If you can't handle that...aren't you a grown man?

Lighten up, man. :suds:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we can't offer BoB condolences on his father's passing then...

Look, what is your problem? This is a group of people yakking about sports. We've been doing it for years, so we kind of 'know' each other. When one of us gets weird, others bust their balls. If you get shatty, you gotta expect some ribbing about it. If you get trolly, you're gonna get pushback. You used to do it plenty!

You have every right to shat all day long, and we have every right to bust your balls when you do. Not a single post any of us including you has made violates the TOS.

So if this is how you want to post now, expect some ball-busting/teasing. If you can't handle that...aren't you a grown man?

Lighten up, man. :suds:

The bolded is not true.

That aside, I've made it a practice to NOT insult other posters. If I disagree with their opinion, I take issue with the OPINION, not the POSTER.

You also have every right to insult all day long, and I have every right to point out that it's not "yakking about sports."

I feel perfectly light. But if any of you....homos...touch my stuff -- I'll kill you. :rollseyes:

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bolded is not true.

That aside, I've made it a practice to NOT insult other posters. If I disagree with their opinion, I take issue with the OPINION, not the POSTER.

You also have every right to insult all day long, and I have every right to point out that it's not "yakking about sports."

I feel perfectly light. But if any of you....homos...touch my stuff -- I'll kill you. :rollseyes:

You may feel light but you post heavy.

Just accept it...certain kinds of posts are gonna get their balls busted. It sounds like you're ok with this.

Moving on...

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants win game 4-3 and series in NY

Hudson started and went 5 innings giving up only 2 ER and kept the Giants in the game and the bullpen went 3 scoreless innings and the Giants win 4-3 in NY.

The player of the game was Pablo Sandoval "The Venezuelan Master" and his bat sang some fantastic music on the field today. His big double in the 3rd inning scored two runs that tied the game at 2-2. In the 9th he came through with the game winner, a ground rule double that scored Blanco and a 4-3 lead.Pence had 2 hits and 2 runs scored. Panik in his homecoming back in NY went 3-5 also. Posey had 4 key walks of the 7 total for the Giants that set it all up for Sandoval to have his day.

The Giants win the series 3 games to 1 and now head on their happy flight to Milwaukee to take on the Brew Crew. :dingdingding:

It was a great day for the Venezuelan Master who spread his music all over the field in NY as the Giants would salsa home to victory. All Giants fans will also salsa . Good to see Pablo back hitting the ball well.

Go Giants !!

:suds::clap::grouphug::party::martini::thrasher:

on youtube..

Venezulean Masters "Documental " Maestros de la salsa de Venezuela France" Toros & Salsa

Last edited by a moderator:

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait to get home and watch the game.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, how about this:

Deal?

I want to continue posting about Cheetos and their colorful effect on defecation !!