• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8.31 Mutts @ the other Andrew S

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've lacked the star-power and household names in recent years (about 6 years now), but they just continue to produce these useful players. This year has especially been a banner year. To give national writers some slack, it's hard to project those guys. But still they never seem to get credit for it
They don’t take the Giants DEPTH into account. Sure, no blue chippers (until this year, where we all of the sudden have 3), but we have probably 20 guys who would all be valuable lottery tickets in any org.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great game and great to see the Giants allowing so many rookies a chance to play this year. For all my grumbling about how they've handled some guys, they haven't gone the washed up veteran route as much as they have in years' past.

Instead of going after the Pat Burrells, Dan Ugglas, Jeff Francours, etc., it's been really nice to see them go with the younger guys for in-season depth. Sure some of those vets worked, but you got to throw your young guys a bone sometimes and use that depth instead of preserving it for years (before inevitably losing it)

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don’t take the Giants DEPTH into account. Sure, no blue chippers (until this year, where we all of the sudden have 3), but we have probably 20 guys who would all be valuable lottery tickets in any org.

I guess you only really have to look at the trades in recent years. Giants have always been able to make the trades, which should say something. Teams get it, the media doesn't.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you only really have to look at the trades in recent years. Giants have always been able to make the trades, which should say something. Teams get it, the media doesn't.
True. The Giants are able to turn guys even we are not really aware of into useful pieces (or bad pieces in retrospect, granted). And this year, as much as the trade hurt, they were able to turn their #10-ish prospect into a “get out of contract free” card when they burned Bahr to shed Jax. Bad for us fans, but great for the bean counters.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of going after the Pat Burrells, Dan Ugglas, Jeff Francours, etc., it's been really nice to see them go with the younger guys for in-season depth. Sure some of those vets worked, but you got to throw your young guys a bone sometimes and use that depth instead of preserving it for years (before inevitably losing it)
I'd be interested in how many of those kinds of acquisitions turned out, in terms of percentages. Of course, the ones who worked out outweigh the ones who didn't. Still would be an interesting piece.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just here to say at least we are playing a team that is a weaklinky as we are.

I predict 3 games with 1-0 scores in 14 innings

I had no idea that their bullpen has blown a half dozen saves this month!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great interview with Amy G. Looked like the kid was ready to break down there at the end. Look forward to seeing him a lot at the end this year and in the future.

:ipw:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was exactly the kind of game I needed to get fired up. No playoffs but man suddenly we have some youth to watch and get excited about.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was exactly the kind of game I needed to get fired up. No playoffs but man suddenly we have some youth to watch and get excited about.
giphy.gif