• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8/31 GDT Bum vs. Brew Crew

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, now, he was right about:

Hicks
Morse's defense
Scutaro
Cain's injury
Timmy

Oh, wait.....

Careful now, you've got some...questionable...takes this year too...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're like a dog with a bone on this...we get it. You almost seem a bit pleased about it. :noidea:

Not pleased at all. Just wishing we had negotiated a $5MM buyout for next year so we could swallow the salary and move on.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, now, he was right about:

Hicks
Morse's defense
Scutaro
Cain's injury
Timmy

Oh, wait.....

Dude why don't you just move to L.A. You must be a Dodger fan. You flushed the Giants last week like a turd. Remember or did you forget. Enjoy your shitshow. I get ripped but you go unchallenged by the rest of the board. I find the whole thing pretty funny.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I mean though, they don't need to add these guys to the 40 man at this time, so I doubt they waste the spot. They are already maxed out on space, so if they added 2 more guys, they would be in a real crunch in the offseason.

Also, in my opinion, I don't see either guy making a difference. Maybe Fleet. But this is Snodgrass's second year in AA (an extreme pitchers league) and still has pedestrian numbers. He's not a stuff guy, and he's getting old for the league. Nice pitching depth for the minors.

You're forgetting something about Snodgrass. He knows how to win ballgames and he has enough stuff to be a MLB pitcher. He is a winner.

Snodgrass is 26. He will be a MLB pitcher by 28. Still young enough to win ballgames.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect to see Minnicozzi. He has had 2 really good seasons in a row, and the Giants have a history of rewarding career minor-league guys with call ups when possible.

I am really glad to see Dominguez get his cuppo. Not sure if he has a MLB career in front of him, but he has completely transformed his game in the last couple years, and done well at it. He came into the org as a big power hitter with little else to offer and he has become a base-steeling util guy who plays almost all positions. I don't remember a guy having that big of a transformation before.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I mean though, they don't need to add these guys to the 40 man at this time, so I doubt they waste the spot. They are already maxed out on space, so if they added 2 more guys, they would be in a real crunch in the offseason.

Also, in my opinion, I don't see either guy making a difference. Maybe Fleet. But this is Snodgrass's second year in AA (an extreme pitchers league) and still has pedestrian numbers. He's not a stuff guy, and he's getting old for the league. Nice pitching depth for the minors.

This is conventional wisdom, but it's actually wrong.

The Southern League AA average OPS the last four seasons was .714, for the Texas League it was .723, and for the EL it was .723, the same, but in three of the past four seasons, the EL had a higher OPS than the Texas League (the TL had a huge 2011 season). The EL for three of the past four seasons, in fact, had a higher OPS than the SL or TL, and so far this season has a higher OPS as well (.724 vs. .712 vs. .695). Thus, I find it hard to say that the EL is a pitcher's league, relative to the other AA leagues. And it is hard to say that even relative to AAA or Advanced A, as then you would have to call all three AA leagues pitcher's leagues, as that would not make too much sense to me.

Then this other angle to the data really opened my eyes. From 2010 to 2014, the EL ranked 4th, 6th, 3rd, 3rd, and 4th out of the 10 full season leagues in OPS. In other words, it has been one of the top offensive leagues in four out of the last five seasons. I do not see how you can label one of the top offensive full season leagues as a "pitcher's league." The Texas League, which was in the bottom half in four of the last five seasons could be labeled that, and the Southern League three of five could be labeled that, but the EL very clearly is a hitter's league among all the leagues, and a hitter's league compared to the other AA leagues.

From what the data shows, the Giants farm teams are all in hitters league in their levels. Clearly so for Fresno and San Jose, as both have been first or second in every season. Richmond has also surprisingly been a hitter's league as well, and Augusta is clearly a hitter's league compared to the other A-level and been generally in the middle among all the full season leagues, and so, at minimum, can't be labeled a pitcher's league. None of the Giants full-season minor league teams look like they can be labeled "pitcher's leagues."

Thus, it is a misnomer to label the Eastern League a pitcher's league; it only appears that way compared to the Pacific Coast League and the California League. However, when you look at their rankings, the EL is at worst neutral, but mostly a hitter's league, compared to its fellow AA leagues.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude why don't you just move to L.A. You must be a Dodger fan. You flushed the Giants last week like a turd. Remember or did you forget. Enjoy your shitshow. I get ripped but you go unchallenged by the rest of the board. I find the whole thing pretty funny.

Unchallenged?

This is one of the things that is SOOO aggravating about you. You completely ignore your surroundings.

Tz was getting slammed so hard he took time away from the board to let things settle. See, he may have a counter opinion (an aggravating one, at that), but he cares what we (his friends) think, and takes the shit.

Others who get "slammed" just say "peace" and completely ignore the community.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Careful now, you've got some...questionable...takes this year too...

Really?

Timmy's broken?
Cain is done for the year?
Scoot's career is over?
Susac is a ML catcher?

Really, the only take I made which is still up in the air is "no team in the history of baseball has had a 6-18 month and made the playoffs." And if that turns out to be wrong, it'll likely ONLY be due to the Wild Card.

There's a world of difference between absolute disgust with a historically awful performance and "he has the heart of a champion, bank on it, I believe."

At least I try to give a reasoned basis for my takes.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unchallenged?

This is one of the things that is SOOO aggravating about you. You completely ignore your surroundings.

Tz was getting slammed so hard he took time away from the board to let things settle. See, he may have a counter opinion (an aggravating one, at that), but he cares what we (his friends) think, and takes the shit.

1000 times this.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, if you'd been paying attention, I flushed this team July 4.

But thanks for trying to play.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect to see Minnicozzi. He has had 2 really good seasons in a row, and the Giants have a history of rewarding career minor-league guys with call ups when possible.

I am really glad to see Dominguez get his cuppo. Not sure if he has a MLB career in front of him, but he has completely transformed his game in the last couple years, and done well at it. He came into the org as a big power hitter with little else to offer and he has become a base-steeling util guy who plays almost all positions. I don't remember a guy having that big of a transformation before.

Im interested in seeing Dominguez too. When I was at ST, he looked the best of anyone not named Susac.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unchallenged?

Good luck with that. I never hear anyone get on him. Hey I just want to do my thing and continue to do that. I interact plenty enough on the board. It's all cool though because it's all cool.

Go Giants !!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck with that. I never hear anyone get on him. Hey I just want to do my thing and continue to do that. I interact plenty enough on the board. It's all cool though because it's all cool.

Go Giants !!

Too busy in the selfie thread, most likely.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the big one with you though...that was weak. We're supposed to be fans here, err on the side of believing...

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Go Giants !!

In the end, BoB, because you don't care about us, we don't really care about you either. So whatever.

Peace.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't forget to wipe and spray before you leave.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The following could ALL be hitting .300 by the end of the season

Pagan (.307)
Panik (.309)
Posey (.294)
Panda (.291)
Pence (.294)
Beast (.280)

Six guys...that's pretty amazing in this deflated offense era.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the big one with you though...that was weak. We're supposed to be fans here, err on the side of believing...

That is your OPINION. Not a rule, or a law. I err on the side of LOGIC.