• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8/19 20MilPoop@ Turdinals

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More an indictment on Bochy or our Bench than MadBum though, right?
Maybe, but Bum HAS earned that shot. I just didn't get the sense he was taking it all that seriously. That first pitch was high AND outside and he swung out of his shoes. Almost Sandoval-like, except Pablo would have made contact.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just gotta grind our way to .500 this month, doing good so far...

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but Bum HAS earned that shot. I just didn't get the sense he was taking it all that seriously. That first pitch was high AND outside and he swung out of his shoes. Almost Sandoval-like, except Pablo would have made contact.
Gotcha, I didn't see the AB.....only saw the gamecast and the end result.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Sandoval would never have SEEN his shoes.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we score 6 this series, Cards score 6 this series

Giants 20-93 in the series, with only 2 XBH (both doubles)

Giants 3-26 with, well, you know.

All winnable games. Our lame offense without Pence battled against a very good Card pitching staff.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Sandoval would never have SEEN his shoes.
He had them before dinner last night, but he hasn't seen them since.

On a completely unrelated note, Sandoval supposedly had an awful dinner last night. The steak he ordered was very tough and smelled like sweaty feet. He thought he must have been mistaken, so he ordered a second serving, and that one, too, was bad.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was awfully nice of the Giants to let Molina double his home run production on the year. Too bad, they both made the difference in games.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bum AB bothered me last night, and I think I figured out why.

Bum as a PH in the 7th is one thing. Bum as a PH in the 9th with 2 out in a 1-run game is something different entirely. I wonder if it wasn't a bit of Boch putting Bum in his place. "You want to be a key PH? OK, Big Boy, go up in a pressure situation against a 100 MPH pitcher and let's see how you do."

It is a bit of a running gag that Bum is so intimidating that even Boch is hesitant to approach him during the game. While I fully believe that is exaggerated for comedic effect, I wonder if there isn't a sliver of truth to it which led Boch to try to knock him down a peg or two.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bum AB bothered me last night, and I think I figured out why.

Bum as a PH in the 7th is one thing. Bum as a PH in the 9th with 2 out in a 1-run game is something different entirely. I wonder if it wasn't a bit of Boch putting Bum in his place. "You want to be a key PH? OK, Big Boy, go up in a pressure situation against a 100 MPH pitcher and let's see how you do."

It is a bit of a running gag that Bum is so intimidating that even Boch is hesitant to approach him during the game. While I fully believe that is exaggerated for comedic effect, I wonder if there isn't a sliver of truth to it which led Boch to try to knock him down a peg or two.

I can't see it. Boch is in full playoff mode, trying to win every game possible and tomorrow be damned. I think he felt that Bum was his best shot at running into some luck and so he went with it. Our bench is thin, we were down a man, the bully had a rare meltdown. All in all, poop occurs. The takeaway for me is: Cain isn't dead.

That alone is enough for me. We got a shot. If Bum is Bum, Leake is healthy, Hesto can steady himself, Cain isn't dead, and Tron/Peavy can compete...we got a shot.

Especially with that doyer bully.

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see it. Boch is in full playoff mode, trying to win every game possible and tomorrow be damned. I think he felt that Bum was his best shot at running into some luck and so he went with it. Our bench is thin, we were down a man, the bully had a rare meltdown. All in all, poop occurs. The takeaway for me is: Cain isn't dead.

That alone is enough for me. We got a shot. If Bum is Bum, Leake is healthy, Hesto can steady himself, Cain isn't dead, and Tron/Peavy can compete...we got a shot.

Especially with that doyer bully.
But in that situation, the top of the order was coming up, so and OBP hitter would have been OK. I would have preferred to see Lollis in that situation (his professional concentration is on hitting) and attempt to put up a good AB to get on (hit or walk) than a novelty hitter.

I am arguing up my point in order to get feedback, granted. And if Bum had run into one (either a single or a HR), I would be here screaming about Boch's genius. But with my 20/20 glasses on, I just dont think Bum is that level PH yet. Neither is Lollis, but Lollis is a professional hitter. He fails, I am "OK" with it. Bum fails, and I feel I just watched a bad circus act.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in that situation, the top of the order was coming up, so and OBP hitter would have been OK. I would have preferred to see Lollis in that situation (his professional concentration is on hitting) and attempt to put up a good AB to get on (hit or walk) than a novelty hitter.

I am arguing up my point in order to get feedback, granted. And if Bum had run into one (either a single or a HR), I would be here screaming about Boch's genius. But with my 20/20 glasses on, I just dont think Bum is that level PH yet. Neither is Lollis, but Lollis is a professional hitter. He fails, I am "OK" with it. Bum fails, and I feel I just watched a bad circus act.

Let's be clear: Bum is NOT a PH. He's got some extreme SSS luck and he's a good athlete. There are guys who toil for years in the minors who never make it to the show who are 10x the hitter Bum is. I think it's fair to question Bochy's move there, but really, with a short bench he was going for magic, IMO. Ascribing any other motive like trying to take Bum down a notch doesn't make sense to me at all. First, it's not BB's nature and second, he wouldn't sacrifice the talent to make a point. Not in August.

Just IMO here; BB is sometimes inscrutible. AB, OTOH....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was 100% in favor of the Bum PH in the 7th on Tuesday. It is the 9th inning, 2-outs, trailing by 1 PH situation that I have a prob with.