• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 7.20 Lumber @ Scum

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And getting a Kimbrel type is literally getting Kimbrel. Look around at the market, who else is available that even comes close to that type of closer.
OK...ready to deal Ramos for him? It's gonna cost that kind of player (or two!)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK...ready to deal Ramos for him? It's gonna cost that kind of player (or two!)
Kimbrel does have a team option for 2022 but he's been so bad the past 2 years, I'm nervous giving up that kind of prospects for a half season of very good relief (with the hope that he continues that through the rest of 2021 and into 2022).

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kimbrel does have a team option for 2022 but he's been so bad the past 2 years, I'm nervous giving up that kind of prospects for a half season of very good relief (with the hope that he continues that through the rest of 2021 and into 2022).
Exactly. So no Kimbrel. We still need bullpen improvement though, right? Who else can help?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. So no Kimbrel. We still need bullpen improvement though, right? Who else can help?
There are good relievers out there but none that fit the traditional, established closer role. The next closest would be Taylor Rogers.

Edit: I've noted those who are probably available on this thread - 2021 Trade Deadline

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are good relievers out there but none that fit the traditional, established closer role. The next closest would be Taylor Rogers.

Edit: I've noted those who are probably available on this thread - 2021 Trade Deadline
We don't need a lights out closer. We just need a guy suited to the 9th inning in a way Rogers and McGee are not. McGee is more so than Rogers by a lot, but even he worries my with only 1 pitch in the playoffs. When teams get to see him for 5-7 games I suspect they will figure him out.

We need that one closer type. If you say it's the other Rogers, great, let's go get him. But you always gotta give up something.

We all bitch about the pen, but who is ready to pay the price to fix it?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What worries me here is something MSG said earlier. The meltdown was not all Rogers ... it was more Brabbia. If things had unfolded differently .... and Rodgers holds the lead and we win 6-5 ... we just bask in our victory and really lose sight of what happened. Brabbia imploded but we all let it slide and hope that he turns it around. Everyone but Tzill who will rightfully remind us.

How long will we really go until a real change happens. It took forever with Wisler. Still hasn't happened with Toc.

I'm also curious as to who is making these pitching decisions. Kapler or Kapler with input.
Also curious what the bullpen coach saw with Rogers yesterday. I've never seen him that wild. How did he look warming up? Did they even ask?
He wasn't close with the first 8 pitches.

IMHO this team is really good. The pen needs some help but I don't want to trade our future for one piece of the puzzle.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What worries me here is something MSG said earlier. The meltdown was not all Rogers ... it was more Brabbia. If things had unfolded differently .... and Rodgers holds the lead and we win 6-5 ... we just bask in our victory and really lose sight of what happened. Brabbia imploded but we all let it slide and hope that he turns it around. Everyone but Tzill who will rightfully remind us.

How long will we really go until a real change happens. It took forever with Wisler. Still hasn't happened with Toc.

I'm also curious as to who is making these pitching decisions. Kapler or Kapler with input.
Also curious what the bullpen coach saw with Rogers yesterday. I've never seen him that wild. How did he look warming up? Did they even ask?
He wasn't close with the first 8 pitches.

IMHO this team is really good. The pen needs some help but I don't want to trade our future for one piece of the puzzle.
Come on man. How long until there's 'real change'? FZ totally remade the bullpen and it went from worst in the game to pretty decent. It needs more work to be playoff level, and I trust FZ to make that happen.

If we want meaningful pen help we have to give up something. If you don't want to do that, this is the pen you will have.

Brebbia is easily replaced, and he will be. Still need a closer for the playoffs IMO.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I'm a little bummed we still need a closer. Because a lot of buyers are looking for that. Getting a Kimbrel type will cost a LOT. But do we want the pen fixed or not?
Not if it’s a bidding war, no. If it’s on the cheap, sure. This is house money…the Giants still don’t have a lot of long term, young players on the roster. I don’t want to mortgage the future for a potential fluke year.
Don’t get me wrong, I like the direction they are headed in, but it’s not like we have an Acuna or Tatis under contract for a long time.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if it’s a bidding war, no. If it’s on the cheap, sure. This is house money…the Giants still don’t have a lot of long term, young players on the roster. I don’t want to mortgage the future for a potential fluke year.
Don’t get me wrong, I like the direction they are headed in, but it’s not like we have an Acuna or Tatis under contract for a long time.
OK, well, then this is the bullpen we got

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, well, then this is the bullpen we got
I’m ok with that. I wasn’t expecting playoffs, definitely don’t need a WS this year. Now if you had asked me this back in 2009, my answer would be different most likely.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m ok with that. I wasn’t expecting playoffs, definitely don’t need a WS this year. Now if you had asked me this back in 2009, my answer would be different most likely.
Fair enough. I personally look at it differently, the baseball gods don't give you the BRIB often, and I don't want to just blow off the playoffs because we're 'early'

The good news is we have what appears to be a great GM (is there any doubt he wins Executive of the Year?) and he knows better than any of us about balancing the future and the present. I look forward to what he plans to do to get us ready for the playoffs, and I trust he won't make short-sighted moves.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m just glad all of my alts see the travshamockery that was Menez, is Littell, and will be Brebbia.

No more bearded gingers. Full stop.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m just glad all of my alts see the travshamockery that was Menez, is Littell, and will be Brebbia.

No more bearded gingers. Full stop.
While I agree bearded gingers are the devil (Kershaw!), Littell is not as bad as you claim. The other two sure.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree bearded gingers are the devil (Kershaw!), Littell is not as bad as you claim. The other two sure.
Agreed on Littell. tzill is too harsh in his critique of the guy's work out of the bullpen. Brebbia needs to be sent down and Menez needs to start pitching better in AAA to even last on the 40 man roster.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I personally look at it differently, the baseball gods don't give you the BRIB often, and I don't want to just blow off the playoffs because we're 'early'

The good news is we have what appears to be a great GM (is there any doubt he wins Executive of the Year?) and he knows better than any of us about balancing the future and the present. I look forward to what he plans to do to get us ready for the playoffs, and I trust he won't make short-sighted moves.
Make no mistake, I’m ok with moves to better the bullpen or the team. What I’m not ok with is a Heliot for Kimbrel type deal.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brisbee with the perfect paragraph:

On Tuesday, the Giants’ bullpen collapsed. It was the most painful loss of the season, a 6-5 bullpen defenestration of the highest order. Even though the bullpen has improved greatly since the beginning of the season, all it takes is one game to scramble your brain and put you back in the dark place. The darkest place. The place where you have zero faith that a lead can be held. The place where you say the words “2016 NLDS” out loud, unbidden.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On Tuesday, the Giants’ bullpen collapsed. It was the most painful loss of the season, a 6-5 bullpen defenestration of the highest order. Even though the bullpen has improved greatly since the beginning of the season, all it takes is one game to scramble your brain and put you back in the dark place. The darkest place. The place where you have zero faith that a lead can be held. The place where you say the words “2016 NLDS” out loud, unbidden.
buffy the vampire slayer no GIF

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree. 100%.

It was a bad loss. A horrible loss. A painful loss.

It was 1 of approx 60.

/story

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. 100%.

It was a bad loss. A horrible loss. A painful loss.

It was 1 of approx 60.

/story
Yeah that loss didn't put me in a dark place at all.