• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 7/20 Champs @ Priests

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did the Giants sign Aubrey Huff?

2 huffers in the 9th. :L

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herk and Stamos 0-7...that killed us.

Oh, and Huddy's moundshattery. But I'm probably the only one who sees it that way...

:scratch:

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants are a surprisingly (to me) ugly 1-37 when trailing after 7 innings. Be nice to come back late a bit more

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really more than the other contenders:

2015 MLB Team Pitching Stats - Major League Baseball - ESPN

That really isn't an issue to shat one's pants about.

Two things:

1) This is a great find, but these are aggregate innings. LAD, STL, and PITT are all better than SF in innings per start. CHC and WASH are also better. They have fewer total innings, but two less games.

2) We have been trending towards fewer innings per start. (no stats, just perception, will need to start tracking it.)

The difference between the Giants and Dogs is that the Giants' relievers are pitching on average an extra 0.18 innings per game (using these stats), which works out to an extra 29.2 innings per season. Not a lot over 162 games, I will admit.

I am not trying to soil the pants with this, but it is a concern. Having your relievers enter the game in the 5th inning is not a recipe for success. We are carrying an extra arm in the pen, and we have several guys who can go multiple innings (Biggie and Vogey). Even Patty when he returns can go multiple innings, but he has lost something this year.

I trust that the PTB's will do the best thing for the club.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno, in IP/start the Giants are 8th and well behind NYM, LAD, STL, PIT.

Thats not good.
Meh. I understand it being noticed, but it's not of a severity IMHO that is the root of a problem.

We just got two starters back. This will improve on its own. Other issues should take precedence. Like locking down the eighth and ninth innings. A healthy outfield. Driving in late inning runs with RISP.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a concern, but not a fatal flaw. I think getting a solid arm for the Pen is the sweet spot for an addition. In the playoffs, leashes are MUCH shorter, so we just need to make sure to get 5 inning from the starter to begin with, and make sure we have a bully that is not worn out. Going into the playoffs, the key players will be...

KCYa (the closer, but actually near the bottom of the current core)
Greek (the current king)
Strickland (may actually have the closer title by that time)
Sick
Lopez

Romo and Affeldt, unfortunately, are near the end of the bench at this point.

Heston and Bum are a decent 1-2 punch and if we can get one of Cain/Peavy to provide a decent 3, than we may have enough to make a dent. Pitching will certainly not be our strength, but it might be enough to do something, as long as we have one more SOLID arm in the pen.