• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #6 - San Jose at St. Louis - 5:00PM

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Boyle is out for any extended time, it is time to see what Demers can do in an expanded role. Boyle won't be here forever and if Demers can project into mini Boyle, it'd be great for the future of the team.

RH dmen: Braun, Demers
LH dmen: Pickles, Mueller

RH - Tennyson
LH - Abletshouser, Irwin

Just to add to your list. All are pretty good puck movers and project to be NHL capable players.

Gotta love Couture's post game comments.

A player that probably shouldn’t even be in the league is taking out one of the best players in the world. That guy’s got a history. After the first shift, he’s yelling at us from their bench that he’s coming after us, and then he does that. I don’t even know. It’s pretty gutless. Then he turtles. Be a man if you make a hit like that. Don’t turtle and run behind the linesman.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck Floppierre... what a piece of shit. Ugh.

Here's the Nichol hit if you don't remember it:

Can't believe he's only been suspended once (if that's right?!?)...

Also, now we might see some crafty retroactive-IR work in order to be able to call up Tennyson?

Nice win but I can't really get too excited... just really kind of upset about the Boyle hit. ):

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think they'll just slot Stuart into Boyle's spot for the time being. They may call up Petrecki to sit in the pressbox. If the call up is not going to see ice time I would expect them to leave Tennyson in Worcester.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they'll just slot Stuart into Boyle's spot for the time being. They may call up Petrecki to sit in the pressbox. If the call up is not going to see ice time I would expect them to leave Tennyson in Worcester.

Right.. for the short term, Stuart in for Boyle is fine but if any other defenseman gets hurt or even needs a night off, etc.

Forgot about Petrecki, though... I bet you're right and he gets called up soon.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, now we might see some crafty retroactive-IR work in order to be able to call up Tennyson?

Nice win but I can't really get too excited... just really kind of upset about the Boyle hit. ):

Still can't believe the ref missed that call. I do remember that hit. Nichol was soo lucky.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was quite impressed with how well Demers did stepping into that 1st PP unit.

I thought he looked good too, there is so much talent out there that I think if Demers stays within his game he can help fill Boyle's shoes on the PP. I just hope his conditioning is okay, I know there was only 5 d-man and it was a 5-0 game and I'm sure he played 20+ min, but that giveaway at the blueline was terrible. Still think Demers has looked closer to the guy from 2010-11 season, not trying to hate.

Also to add, liked seeing Hertl creating the turnover and finding Thornton. Shep I think has been great this year. Causing turnovers and creating chances, him and Desjardins have been very solid this year. If the forwards are all healthy going into the playoffs, I think the ability to roll 4 lines and have offensive ability and strong forecheck is going to be a huge asset compared to years past.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Demers has been much better but the big difference this year in the D, to me, is the play of Pickles, Braun, and hannan. First, hannan has been amazing. Not only has he been very solid defensively, but he has been highly involved in the offense. There have been scottie sightings even below the offensive goaline and jumping in on odd man rushes. He has been nothing short of excellent for a should have been #7 dman.

Braun started playing much better at the end of last year. He walsys was respectable offensively, but his defensive game has skyrocketed. His positioning is really sound and his decision making under pressure is outstanding in leading a breakout. And, he can skate and shoot to boot. He looks like a bona fide top 4 dman right now.

Pickes though is the clear captain of the D. Yes Boyle is still Boyle assuming he comes back no problem, but Pickles is my guess to lead the team in ice time this season. He seems to have improved in all facets of the game.

honorable mention to irwin, who has made some mistakes, but still been pretty solid for a depth defenseman. He also has a great shot and like many of the D this year, has been helping out alot in attacking as a 5 man unit. Clearly Larry Robinson is doing his job at an elite level.

The D was considered to be really questionable with all the unknown youngins (braun, irwin, demers...) and oldies (stuey, hannan, boyle). Pickles was really the only known commodity and what that unit has accomplished thus far at all ends of the rink is astounding.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I reallllly look forward too to seeing all the forwards healthy and rolling 4 lines that can do damage.

Thornton-Burns-Hertl
Marleau- Couture-Kennedy
Pavelski-Havlat-torres
Desi-Wingels-Shep

And the problem is that Nieto has looked like an NHLer but is hard to fit and they would still have Burish as well for depth. Having those top 3 lines though would be an amazing threat. That top 9 would be by far and away the best top 9 in sharks history, and in the PO's when injuries happen, Wingels or Nieto can still slot well into a top 9 spot, so they arent forcing bottom feeders to play top minutes.

The additions of kennedy, Hertl, and Nieto have made such an amazing difference thus far. I didnt realize what an amazing job dougie did this offseason quietly adding two (or 3) top 9 forwards, resigning torres, and really creating the deepest shark team in history. Now, hopefully by december we will get to see the true power of the team.

Quick thought: give the 82 game marathon and the relative importance of the Playoffs, I wonder why coaches dont sub out guys for rests, particularly top guys, more often. Why not give Jumbo 1 out of every 10 games off. Same for patty and especially the other 30+ stars. Playing every game has gotta be grueling and goalies get a day off, so why not position players. You might lose a couple games that you would have won, and you might fall a position or two in the standings, but if you plan on playing over 100 games (including the PO's), then it makes sense to me to give guys a regular rest.

koblix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any words on Boyle?

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I reallllly look forward too to seeing all the forwards healthy and rolling 4 lines that can do damage.

Thornton-Burns-Hertl
Marleau- Couture-Kennedy
Pavelski-Havlat-torres
Desi-Wingels-Shep

And the problem is that Nieto has looked like an NHLer but is hard to fit and they would still have Burish as well for depth. Having those top 3 lines though would be an amazing threat. That top 9 would be by far and away the best top 9 in sharks history, and in the PO's when injuries happen, Wingels or Nieto can still slot well into a top 9 spot, so they arent forcing bottom feeders to play top minutes.

The additions of kennedy, Hertl, and Nieto have made such an amazing difference thus far. I didnt realize what an amazing job dougie did this offseason quietly adding two (or 3) top 9 forwards, resigning torres, and really creating the deepest shark team in history. Now, hopefully by december we will get to see the true power of the team.

Quick thought: give the 82 game marathon and the relative importance of the Playoffs, I wonder why coaches dont sub out guys for rests, particularly top guys, more often. Why not give Jumbo 1 out of every 10 games off. Same for patty and especially the other 30+ stars. Playing every game has gotta be grueling and goalies get a day off, so why not position players. You might lose a couple games that you would have won, and you might fall a position or two in the standings, but if you plan on playing over 100 games (including the PO's), then it makes sense to me to give guys a regular rest.

That is a very skilled top 9 that has smart defensive players on each line as well. Havlat and Pavs on the 3rd line can create some matchup problems, though I don't remember the two playing together much last year.

About resting skaters occasionally. I think in theory it is a good idea, but it might send a bad message to the team. Seeing Jumbo or Patty take a random day off might put an excuse into the heads of the other players that failure is ok because the best possible roster is not being iced. I know goalies get rested occasionally, but that's an accepted practice. I would rather the workload on the old vets be controlled by limiting icetime rather than limiting games where they are healthy enough to play in. Perhaps something like 16 minutes icetime for Patty/Jumbo/Boyle in the second of back to back games, and a 20 minute cap in all non back to back scenarios.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That is a very skilled top 9 that has smart defensive players on each line as well. Havlat and Pavs on the 3rd line can create some matchup problems, though I don't remember the two playing together much last year.

About resting skaters occasionally. I think in theory it is a good idea, but it might send a bad message to the team. Seeing Jumbo or Patty take a random day off might put an excuse into the heads of the other players that failure is ok because the best possible roster is not being iced. I know goalies get rested occasionally, but that's an accepted practice. I would rather the workload on the old vets be controlled by limiting icetime rather than limiting games where they are healthy enough to play in. Perhaps something like 16 minutes icetime for Patty/Jumbo/Boyle in the second of back to back games, and a 20 minute cap in all non back to back scenarios.

I definitely understand that theory, but I think that ultimately, even playing just 16 mins/gm increases injury risk and still means they get hit for 16 mins. With the olympic break being another 5-10 hard fought games for the sharks top players, it seems even more clear to me that resting the big dogs once a month makes a lot of sense to heal the bumps and bruises and also gives the opportunity to practice more and do more conditioning while healing thenagging injuries. Preseason+regular+olympics+PO's is a 9 month grueling gauntlet and playing every one of those, even with some limited ice, seems like you are setting your older guys up for injury and exhaustion.

I dont see how it sends a bad message to give a break to your top vets. I can understand fans being mad at not seeing the top players every game, but if they are 100% whenthey are in there, that seems better.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
btw, pretty amazing but I believe that jumbo's line has yet to be out there for a goal against. That's like 100+ minutes without being scored on often matched against the opposition's best, and with a 19 year old out there.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
btw, pretty amazing but I believe that jumbo's line has yet to be out there for a goal against. That's like 100+ minutes without being scored on often matched against the opposition's best, and with a 19 year old out there.

They were on the ice for Tarasenko's goal.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lapierre has been offered an in person hearing meaning the league has the ability to suspend him for 6+ games. If the suspension is six or more games Lapierre has the option to appeal.

Burns hit on Morrow was reviewed. It was ruled that Morrow stopped up and attempted to make a reverse check on Burns and he lost the physical battle. Doesn't appear anything more will come of it.

Because Boyle lost consciousness the league concussion protocol dictates that he is out at least seven days.

koblix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any words on Boyle?

"I'm doing OK, thank you for your concern and support," Boyle said in a message directed at fans via ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun from the St. Louis hospital where he spent the night. "Means a lot to me. I've never once taken this game or any of my fans for granted. Hope to be back soon."

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They were on the ice for Tarasenko's goal.

oh really? ah, I missed that one, right you are. Really, tough break though since it was a bang bang goal from demers' misplay rather than a team breakdown. That line has been incredible at both ends. At the very least they havent made a single mistake leading to a meaningful goal. No failed clears, poor backchecks or anything like that resulting in a goal. With all the offense, the incredible defensive play from both the D and forwards is equally impressive.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

No doubt...he should be suspended 10 games +.
Not sure if the league will listen to this...but Logan said that Lapierre was running around saying he was going to get Logan and Patty, before he hurt Boyle. Sound premeditated to me....he wanted to take someone out...Fucking punk move, and there is no room for that in the game. Then Logan said look at how he ran and turtled after that...what a pussy!!! Put his hands up like he didn't do anything, then one of his teammates has to fight for him. I'm disgusted by it.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lapierre has been offered an in person hearing meaning the league has the ability to suspend him for 6+ games. If the suspension is six or more games Lapierre has the option to appeal.

Burns hit on Morrow was reviewed. It was ruled that Morrow stopped up and attempted to make a reverse check on Burns and he lost the physical battle. Doesn't appear anything more will come of it.

Because Boyle lost consciousness the league concussion protocol dictates that he is out at least seven days.

If he doesnt get 20 plus games im going to be disappointed, so i guess im going to be disappointed

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he doesnt get 20 plus games im going to be disappointed, so i guess im going to be disappointed

I'm expecting 8-10 games as he doesn't qualify as a repeat offender.