• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 6) Miami Heat vs. 3) Philadelphia 76ers

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Miami wins this series and eliminates the Sixers before Embiid gets healthy but unfortunately I think the Sixers will pull out the series.

Shit- if the Heat somehow pull off the series win, and if they play the Celtics, which looks increasingly likely next round, they can beat them too......it would be a DREAM to get the Heat in the ECF. Honestly that would be freaking so much freaking fun. lol. Not out of the question either.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ Philly Fans.

If the Spurs approached the 76ers and said Kawhi was available for trade, what is the most you'd be willing to give up for him?

First, I need to talk to Kawhi. Would he want to play here and be willing to sign an extension once he's traded here. This greatly impacts the assets I'd be willing to give up. At that point, if I know I'm getting him for 4+ years, I consider a combination of Covington/LAL pick/TLC/Korkmaz and maybe a future 1st (which might not be that valuable). It would appear to be a lowball offer.

Me personally, I don't think SA has leverage here, so I don't think Fultz would be included, in the same manner that BOS wouldn't offer Brown or Tatum. Covington is sorta Kawhi-lite with a team friendly contract, so that replaces some of the value and the rest has to be made up from prospects/future assets.

Biggest thing is him passing a physical and willingness to sign an extension.
If SA is smart, they play PHI and BOS off one another and get the best possible deal.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly coudlnt resign Reddick and sign LeBron.

It's entirely possible that Redick and the Sixers agreed on a 2 year, $30M deal before the season started with a handshake agreement. They would let the year play out and Redick would make that decision after the season.

By paying him $23M this year, they would only have to offer him $7M next year, perhaps at the MLE.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@gordontrue who are you rooting for here?

whoever wins has a pretty damn good chance of advancing considering they will prob play Boston in the 2nd round.

In terms of who I'd rather the Cavs play, I don't have a strong preference. Miami would be a lot like playing the Pacers I think, just without that 1 guy (dipo) they can rely on to get a bucket. Tough matchup for the Cavs offense. The 76ers would present a bigger challenge for the Cavs defense, which is always concerning.

I'm pulling for the Heat... just because I think the 76ers hype is getting a little out of control and itd be nice to see that tempered a bit.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's entirely possible that Redick and the Sixers agreed on a 2 year, $30M deal before the season started with a handshake agreement. They would let the year play out and Redick would make that decision after the season.

By paying him $23M this year, they would only have to offer him $7M next year, perhaps at the MLE.

Interesting. Technically not allowed. But as long as they didn't commit anything to paper they can get away with it. Of course that also leaves the door open for one of them to easily break the promise.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was I big Curry fan???
How'd I get roped into this....
No, no, no...my bad.

I meant to tag Flyerhawk because he had just asked us to get back on topic, I agreed, and then immediately went back off topic 2 posts later....lol

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, no, no...my bad.

I meant to tag Flyerhawk because he had just asked us to get back on topic, I agreed, and then immediately went back off topic 2 posts later....lol

Ohhhhhh.

Still, only this group of misfits could get 57 pages by Game 3......

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohhhhhh.

Still, only this group of misfits could get 57 pages by Game 3......
its an interesting series with two teams that have taken diametrically opposed ways to build their teams.

The Sixers tanked for a good long time and built it up from the ground up. The Heat traded away a bunch of draft picks and used free agency quite a bit.

Obviously I would rather have the Sixers roster long term---- but it is an interesting matchup.

IT would be even more interesting if we got to see some Embiid/Whiteside though!!!!!

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Sixers offer Reddick a 2 year 30 million dollar contract Colangelo should be fired on the spot.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Sixers offer Reddick a 2 year 30 million dollar contract Colangelo should be fired on the spot.

No, I'm suggesting that before this current season, they agreed that he would earn $30M over the next two seasons, with him getting $23M this year. If things didn't pan out, he bolts. If things pan out, he re-ups for $7M next season at the MLE. In total, he would have received $30M these past two years. The $23M was an overpay that they could afford and sent a message to Redick that they were indeed building something for the future that he could be a part of and mentor the younger talent.

And really, this is just me speculating.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm suggesting that before this current season, they agreed that he would earn $30M over the next two seasons, with him getting $23M this year. If things didn't pan out, he bolts. If things pan out, he re-ups for $7M next season at the MLE. In total, he would have received $30M these past two years. The $23M was an overpay that they could afford and sent a message to Redick that they were indeed building something for the future that he could be a part of and mentor the younger talent.

And really, this is just me speculating.

Oh gotcha. That makes sense.

I think that the Sixers are more likely than not going to re-up Reddick with the MLE. Reddick seems to enjoy Philly and it isn't far from where he lives primarily. The Knicks and Nets are pretty far from competitive. If JJ has any hopes of a ring there aren't many better options for him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that the Sixers are more likely than not going to re-up Reddick with the MLE. Reddick seems to enjoy Philly and it isn't far from where he lives primarily. The Knicks and Nets are pretty far from competitive. If JJ has any hopes of a ring there aren't many better options for him.
i dont even know if you get the MLE if you start the offseason under the cap....im not sure how that works to be honest.

Maybe you do- i really dont know--- to me it doesnt make sense that youd get an "exception" to go over the cap if yo uare under the cap....maybe after the hit the cap they can then go over it and used the MLE. Im not sure though.

I cant remember a scenario where a team used the MLE after it was under the cap at hte beginning of the offseason.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, players in their mid-30s who have been around the block might just be looking to settle down and chase a ring, so Redick (earned $78M in his career), Belinelli ($37M), and Illyasova ($67.7M) could all sign cheap deals. Also have to factor in the strong international culture/influence that the Sixers have.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
26. How do exceptions count against the cap? Does being under the cap always mean that a team has room to sign free agents? Do teams ever lose their exceptions?
If a team is below the cap, then its Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level (either the Taxpayer or Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level, whichever applies to the team) and/or trade exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap1. This is to prevent a loophole, in a manner similar to free agent amounts (see question number 37). A team can't act like it's under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use its Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or trade exceptions. Consequently, the exceptions are added to the team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap. If a team is already over the cap, then the exceptions are not added to their team salary. There would be no point in doing so, since there is no cap room for signing free agents.

NBA Salary Cap FAQ

So no- it appears that the Sixers could NOT use the MLE this offseason.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont even know if you get the MLE if you start the offseason under the cap....im not sure how that works to be honest.

Maybe you do- i really dont know--- to me it doesnt make sense that youd get an "exception" to go over the cap if yo uare under the cap....maybe after the hit the cap they can then go over it and used the MLE. Im not sure though.

I cant remember a scenario where a team used the MLE after it was under the cap at hte beginning of the offseason.

They'll be over the cap right after they sign LeBron.... :dhd:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll be over the cap right after they sign LeBron.... :dhd:
LeBron isnt a mercenary that is going to be known for team hopping and ring chasing.

Plus- I am sure the Sixers would do it and sign LeBron if they could--- but why not just do your own thing? simmons is going to be up for an extension soon.....Im sure they would find a way to work it--- but Simmons, LeBron and Embiid on the same payroll at huge deals would not be easy to deal with.

I cant see him going anywhere besides the Lakers or Cavs------ even with the Rockets- him and CP would each have to take big time discounts to make that work --- not only that but guys like Capela woudl be gone anyway.

Its Lakers or Cavs....id lean towards the Cavs right now but am totally cognizant of the fact that the Lakers have a not-insignificant shot.