• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 6) Miami Heat vs. 3) Philadelphia 76ers

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess. For the 2nd quarter. Then he started collecting fouls like they were going out of style.

I would be shocked if the Heat weren't planning to get physical with Simmons. Not sure how much impact that will have on his game. Simmons certainly wasn't the reason why the Sixers lost the last game.

Agree he wasn’t the reason they lost.

One big difference will be playing on the road vs home.

Home teams usually get more friendly calls.
Role players are usually better at home.
Its his first road playoff game. AAA will be rocking.

As far as fouls, thats why they get 6.
Heat can throw 2-3 players at him.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Will you be there ?

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a way to take on Simmons. If you want to throw fouls at him you can. But you are going to be doing it with your primary defenders and not just pylons in the paint.
Well obviously a team couldn't sustain this strategy the entire game - so most likely would be key in situations like ending quarters and/or disallowing the go-ahead bucket.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As far as fouls, thats why they get 6.
Heat can throw 2-3 players at him.

Oh it's definitely going to be a new challenge for Simmons and for Saric and Fultz, if he plays, and Embiid, if he plays.

To be clear, I wasn't complaining about the fouls. Part of the game. I thought it was a good plan for the Heat and certainly a better plan than laying 7 feet off of Simmons. And it definitely was a big factor in the 2nd quarter on why the Sixers struggle so much. Although I would argue that it wasn't really Simmons who got flustered. It was Saric, Bellinelli and Covington.

But it is really tough to play press an entire game. Especially against teams that like to run with the ball. IMO, Winslow, I think, 3rd foul was when he got on Simmon almost on the inbounds line. And I don't think the Sixers will be so shell shocked the next time the Heat do it. But we will see.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well obviously a team couldn't sustain this strategy the entire game - so most likely would be key in situations like ending quarters and/or disallowing the go-ahead bucket.

It's definitely a possible strategy. I really only saw it put into use once this season. They did a hack a Simmons earlier in the season(Charlotte maybe?) but he wound up getting over 60% of his FTs.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh it's definitely going to be a new challenge for Simmons and for Saric and Fultz, if he plays, and Embiid, if he plays.

To be clear, I wasn't complaining about the fouls. Part of the game. I thought it was a good plan for the Heat and certainly a better plan than laying 7 feet off of Simmons. And it definitely was a big factor in the 2nd quarter on why the Sixers struggle so much. Although I would argue that it wasn't really Simmons who got flustered. It was Saric, Bellinelli and Covington.

But it is really tough to play press an entire game. Especially against teams that like to run with the ball. IMO, Winslow, I think, 3rd foul was when he got on Simmon almost on the inbounds line. And I don't think the Sixers will be so shell shocked the next time the Heat do it. But we will see.

You dont press the whole games.
Pick and choose your spots, based on who is on the court.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's definitely a possible strategy. I really only saw it put into use once this season. They did a hack a Simmons earlier in the season(Charlotte maybe?) but he wound up getting over 60% of his FTs.

Heat would never do that. Spo never been into the hack-a-player who struggles at the ft line

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You dont press the whole games.
Pick and choose your spots, based on who is on the court.

Of course. The Heat surprised the Sixers by pressing almost the entire 2nd quarter and it paid off. Brown wasn't prepared for it, IMO. Probably should have pulled one of his shooters and put in McConnell or Fultz with Simmons and had ball handlers running around tiring them out.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat would never do that. Spo never been into the hack-a-player who struggles at the ft line
I don't think it necessarily has to be a hack - just concentrate more on Simmons in some key situations. That puts pressure on him to make the right basketball play - and could pay off in long run for the defense.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt he would. Hack-a-Shaq isn't particularly effective.

Not at all. I hate it. Only time I'm a fan of it, is if a team is down double digits in the 4th....and the player you're fouling better be in the 40's from the line. Simmons was just under 60% so far from a lock

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all. I hate it. Only time I'm a fan of it, is if a team is down double digits in the 4th....and the player you're fouling better be in the 40's from the line. Simmons was just under 60% so far from a lock

Agree. I hate it as a "catch up" technique. If anything I think it should only be used to disrupt offensive flow of your opponent. If you got a player going on an insane heat check on the other team, use hack a whatever a couple times and just get the other team annoyed.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I hate it as a "catch up" technique. If anything I think it should only be used to disrupt offensive flow of your opponent. If you got a player going on an insane heat check on the other team, use hack a whatever a couple times and just get the other team annoyed.

Yeah. Completely agree.

Personally I think that refs should have that the discretion to call a hack-a-player away from the ball a flagrant 1. It is really really ugly basketball as a strategy.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looking forward to tonight's game. gonna be a fun one...

looking to see if coach Brown's got something in his trick bag to counter the Heat's game 2 aggressiveness...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looking forward to tonight's game. gonna be a fun one...

looking to see if coach Brown's got something in his trick bag to counter the Heat's game 2 aggressiveness...

Well a good way to counter press, is to force them to chase the ball around the court. Lots of switches as they lead to lots of fouls.