• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(5) Philadelphia Flyers vs (4) Pittsburgh Penguins Round 1: There will be blood

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Malkin hit is fine territory at most...and I'd be okay (avoided temptation to say fine there...) with that if the NHLPA actually allowed real fines. I don't think it's a suspendable hit. The NHL can't do this suspension based on injury crap...talk about a slippery slope. Also, if there was another hit on a forecheck that may have jarred him, you can't say what caused the concussion. Once again: you can NOT suspend based on injury. If Hossa and Grossman end up being out the same amount of time, should both players be out the same amount of time? Come on.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, if Brown thought a teammate had glanced by him: you know humans have these natural reactions to things. REFLEXES. So, I know we like to call everyone a diver or embellisher, but if you see a hand coming at your face...you move your head.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Malkin hit is fine territory at most...and I'd be okay (avoided temptation to say fine there...) with that if the NHLPA actually allowed real fines. I don't think it's a suspendable hit. The NHL can't do this suspension based on injury crap...talk about a slippery slope. Also, if there was another hit on a forecheck that may have jarred him, you can't say what caused the concussion. Once again: you can NOT suspend based on injury. If Hossa and Grossman end up being out the same amount of time, should both players be out the same amount of time? Come on.

i'm not arguing that the suspensions should be based on injury.. they already are.. shanny has pretty much already said that publicly

i agree w/ you that its a stupid way to dole out punishment, but thats the way the NHL is doling it out.. and if you're gunna suck at your job, at least suck at it consistently

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But thats what they're doing.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

in the suspension explanation videos, Shanahan needs to stop saying either

the player was injured on this hit

or

the player did not suffer an injury on this hit

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awaz, who do you think Lavy will start in net on Friday?

bryz.. no question.. probably wont have a short leash either

if i were the coach, he'd be yanked the first time he half assed a save like he was doing last night though.. after that 2nd goal it was clear to me bryz didn't care (or that his foot was REALLY bothering him last night).. he was pee-wee goalie slow from post to post last night, it was embarrassing

when mr positive pierre mcguire says 'have you ever seen a goalie move that slow doc?'.. you're having a bad night.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if i were the coach, he'd be yanked the first time he half assed a save like he was doing last night though.. after that 2nd goal it was clear to me bryz didn't care (or that his foot was REALLY bothering him last night).. he was pee-wee goalie slow from post to post last night, it was embarrassing

i think it was the 5th goal when he went from post to post that blew me away for how slow he reacted and seemed he wasn't even fighting to find the puck and that it was just supposed to hit him. that was really bad body language.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
one thing everyone can agree upon...

Playoffs makes almost every teams fans really really narrow minded and sensitive.... myself included.

I just wish we could discuss more hockey and less discipline issues.

Martin's "injury" better leave him bedridden on Friday.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i hope they find some magic spray like the soccer teams use.. martin might be the flyers' mvp so far

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that's what they're doing, just making a point at how terrible that could be. In a scrum, you could push a guy to the ice, his head snaps back and hits the ice, and he could be out for a year. Does that equate to a suspension? I just think that we're all being super sensitive to every single hit. If Malkin were to get any time, consistency says that Rinaldo and Kubina should get just as much, or more in Rinaldo's case.

That said, the refs need to find a happy medium...I understand that they wanted complete control last night, but what started with terribly ticky-tack calls to get the Pens on the endless 5 on 3 became "LETS CALL EVERRRRYYYYTHHHHING" from there on out. I'm 100% fine with all the 10 minute misconducts (although if it had been a close game I'd be a bit more upset with Cooke being tossed for holding a guy's stick and taking a pair of fists to the face), because that controlled the game and got the hot heads off the ice. But I don't think that calling every little interference penalty equates to controlling the game.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it was the 5th goal when he went from post to post that blew me away for how slow he reacted and seemed he wasn't even fighting to find the puck and that it was just supposed to hit him. that was really bad body language.

the 2nd goal was exactly the same.. at least IMO it was.. just embarassing

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

when mr positive pierre mcguire says 'have you ever seen a goalie move that slow doc?'.. you're having a bad night.

The positive for the Pens this game was not the ten goals, but the two periods without allowing any. God, it's weird to be in a series where that is an accomplishment. We'll see if Fleury can carry it over. His leash is fairly long given that Johnson sucks horribly.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i hope they find some magic spray like the soccer teams use.. martin might be the flyers' mvp so far

Hahahahahha, nothing cracked me up like listening to Doc and Pierre say at the end "And it's impressive the Pens are doing this without Adams and Neal....OH! And Paul Martin! Impressive!"

WHAT PLANET DO YOU LIVE ON?! Is the weather nice?

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, Bryz didn't have his best stuff, last nite. Fleury didn't really, either for the first period, but he may have found his mojo in the 2nd and 3rd, though. I say maybe for obvious reasons.

Believe it or not, even with how poor the goalies have been, the 3 goals allowed by Marc last nite are the fewest allowed by any goalie in one game from the whole series. :L

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that's what they're doing, just making a point at how terrible that could be. In a scrum, you could push a guy to the ice, his head snaps back and hits the ice, and he could be out for a year. Does that equate to a suspension? I just think that we're all being super sensitive to every single hit. If Malkin were to get any time, consistency says that Rinaldo and Kubina should get just as much, or more in Rinaldo's case.

That said, the refs need to find a happy medium...I understand that they wanted complete control last night, but what started with terribly ticky-tack calls to get the Pens on the endless 5 on 3 became "LETS CALL EVERRRRYYYYTHHHHING" from there on out. I'm 100% fine with all the 10 minute misconducts (although if it had been a close game I'd be a bit more upset with Cooke being tossed for holding a guy's stick and taking a pair of fists to the face), because that controlled the game and got the hot heads off the ice. But I don't think that calling every little interference penalty equates to controlling the game.

thats not true at all.. michalek and cooke aren't injured? (going on the theory that that's how the NHL basis their suspensions)

the rest of it i agree w/ though.. passing out misconducts like candy keeps you in control of the game.. doesn't mean you have to call 3 holds, 3 holding the sticks, 4 high stickings, and 3 interferences (tried to be somewhat realistic with those guesses, i'll look now though).. that doesn't mean you're 'controlling the game' that just means you're being a dick

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahahahha, nothing cracked me up like listening to Doc and Pierre say at the end "And it's impressive the Pens are doing this without Adams and Neal....OH! And Paul Martin! Impressive!"

WHAT PLANET DO YOU LIVE ON?! Is the weather nice?

hahaha ya i laughed out loud at that one too.. and it wasn't easy to make me laugh at that point in the game.. i actually think mcguire said at one point that martin was just as critical as neal

.. he left off that he was critical for the flyers :L

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Bryz didn't have his best stuff, last nite. Fleury didn't really, either for the first period, but he may have found his mojo in the 2nd and 3rd, though. I say maybe for obvious reasons.

Believe it or not, even with how poor the goalies have been, the 3 goals allowed by Marc last nite are the fewest allowed by any goalie in one game from the whole series. :L

i really hope fleury didn't find his game last night.. his 5-hole has been money so far this series

if fleury found some resemblance of a game (i never thought he was that good, but thats for another time) the flyers are in trouble.. cause i dont think the flyers goaltending 'found' its game or will find it any time soon

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i really hope fleury didn't find his game last night.. his 5-hole has been money so far this series

if fleury found some resemblance of a game (i never thought he was that good, but thats for another time) the flyers are in trouble.. cause i dont think the flyers goaltending 'found' its game or will find it any time soon

Hit the nail on the head

It's the only hope Pittsburgh has in this series. Fleury needs his mojo, or it will be over, possibly as soon as tomorrow.

As for Fleury being a good goalie, that's exactly what i think he is. Good. Not to be confused with great, spectacular or anything else. When he's on, Fleury is tough to beat.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they played all the goal calls on local radio here and it sounded like Mike Lange was running out of catchphrases

goal #11 would have probably went (lets say if Crosby scored) "Crosby grabs the rebound ... HEEEEEEE Shoots HE scoresssssss ...... arrrhhhhhg ... remind me I need to call the furnace repair guy tomorrow"