• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

#5 Los Angeles Kings vs #1 Chicago Blackhawks WCF series thread

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta be honest, I don't think it's all that bad. I think it was accidental. I think he meant to hook or whack him for sure, but I don't think he meant to hit him in the face, and I think Carter (although I don't doubt it hurt), really sold it. I don't think there should be a suspension and if there is more than 1 game it's a joke.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yeah, Regehr IS horrible... his fancy stats have been horrific for quite a while now, too, IIRC.

He really shouldn't be on the team (or any NHL team) but oh well.

So glad we signed him for two more years at 3mil each

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time seeing it...yeah, that's...that's not good. A game is what I'd give him, but that's in the world in which sensical decisions are made in regards to suspensions. Apologies mean crap to the discipline, that's just being a human being. There was full intent, it was a dangerous play, one game makes sense. Probably gets a slap on the wrist/fine though.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Brooks @NYP_Brooksie24m
Duncan Keith's "accidents" are becoming fairly routine, aren't they?

Are they? I don't seem to remember any big incidents with him.

I gotta be honest, I don't think it's all that bad. I think it was accidental. I think he meant to hook or whack him for sure, but I don't think he meant to hit him in the face, and I think Carter (although I don't doubt it hurt), really sold it. I don't think there should be a suspension and if there is more than 1 game it's a joke.

The thing everyone is screaming about is consistency. Look at this playoffs, Gryba and Torres both got suspended for arguably clean hits.

Then go back and look at what Bertuzzi got for whapping Moore. Bert was careless, probably didn't mean to hit him as hard as he did, and (apparently this is important) didn't apologize right away.

Keith, depending on his history (and I truly do not know) should get two for a blatant swing at the head. If the league REALLY gives a shit about player safety, there needs to be zero tolerance. And it doesn't matter who does it or how sorry they are. This HAS to be punished or the entire player safety facade is utter bullshit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thinking is, it was a dumb play, but at the end of the day Carter wasn't hurt, Keith got a penalty, it won't have any long term impact on the series. It's too minuscule a play to have it potentially alter the series by suspending him (I could tolerate a game just as a "hey Duncan stop being an asshole" warning).

This is the conference finals, playoff hockey. Let it get a little chippy. Carter is fine, no reason to bring the hammer down and hand out a harsh punishment.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Bertuzzi incident is not the best illustration.

original.gif

In both cases, they were trying to hit the shoulder and got the head.

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This news change anybody's opinion regarding a suspension for Keith:

#LAKings Carter says he sustained one chipped tooth, 2 cracked on bottom palate, 20-21 stitches on chin from #Hawks Keith's high stick.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This news change anybody's opinion regarding a suspension for Keith:

#LAKings Carter says he sustained one chipped tooth, 2 cracked on bottom palate, 20-21 stitches on chin from #Hawks Keith's high stick.

Yeah, that'll do it. At first I was under the impression he was fine. I'm still not in favor of much discipline but won't be as annoyed with a suspension now.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too bad it wasn't Hartnell with the stickwork instead of Keith. Lots of good storylines with that one.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone seen any Hawks fans*?

I was eagerly awaiting their "good game, Kings" comments and such.. or hell, even the "nobody can compete with the greatness that is the Blackhawks" comments...

Safe to say we won't see or hear from any of them for a few more days if LA wins tomorrow?

*= this message doesn't apply to Q.. he's not a troll.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keith should sit game 4.

Can't put your team in that position. I know he only had one hand on the stick and it wasn't malicious, but he's got to drop the gloves and pound him if he wants retaliation. What he did was b.s. I hate sticks up high.

That being said, I'm not going to be surprised if Keith only gets a fine.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings outskated the Hawks. Hawks didn't deserve the win. 10 shots through 2 periods is ridiculous, 5 penalties (many of those stupid) is bad too. Kings covered the gaps better and skated to loose pucks better. Chicago didn't get their legs going until the 3rd.

Game 4 will be interesting. A few Hawks looking a little rough now. Richards probably not playing game 4 since he didn't skate the full practice. Hjalmarsson did practice. We await the verdict on Keith.

What did Shanny's wheel land on?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still awaiting Shanny's decision (will it go round in a circle? will it fly high like a bird up in the sky?)

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keith gets a game. Cooke gets thrown out, yet nothing for Marchand for driving Neal head first into the boards. Not even a hearing.

Interesting

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone seen any Hawks fans*?

I was eagerly awaiting their "good game, Kings" comments and such.. or hell, even the "nobody can compete with the greatness that is the Blackhawks" comments...

Safe to say we won't see or hear from any of them for a few more days if LA wins tomorrow?

*= this message doesn't apply to Q.. he's not a troll.

I am too a troll, I'm just sneaky about it. Kings played a good game and the Hawks lost their composure. I hope it doesn't happen again.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am too a troll, I'm just sneaky about it. Kings played a good game and the Hawks lost their composure. I hope it doesn't happen again.

I hope three more times soon.
As far as the penalty it is more than I thought. Hawks can give up a game or take it that the league and the world is against them and use it as a rallying point. I hope the Kings use it to their advantage. Need to be tied by Friday

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keith gets a game. Cooke gets thrown out, yet nothing for Marchand for driving Neal head first into the boards. Not even a hearing.

Interesting

It's fair
Honestly, one game is fair. In a way, they’re punishing him LESS because he was in a bit of after-the-play scrum with Carter. I hate that they give out lesser punishment during playoffs – in my mind, it should be more. If you get caught doing something stupid like retaliating with a high stick (where Keith fully admitted he was intending to slash Carter back), you deserve a more severe punishment. Will it affect your team’s chances of going to the Cup? Absolutely. But that’s what you get for doing something stupid.

If nothing else, at least be consistent all year round – pre-season, regular season or post season it shouldn’t matter. Claim precedents and use that as a starting point, even if each situation is unique. At least you can say, “In 2011, Bouchard slashed Calvert in the face. In 2013, Keith slashed Carter in the face. If we look at the rule book, this falls under the textbook definition of ‘Illegal High Stick to the Head.’ Therefore, as we have deemed in previous incidents similar in nature, this act is worthy of a 2 game suspension.” Consistency. Precedence. Keep it as black and white as possible. Holy shit it’s not rocket science.

(Sorry there was a bit of a rant in there)