• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also still have Manning. I expect A Mac to get top 4 minutes and Manning to be #7 and 1st injury replacement.
I agree with this but the Sanheim rumored trade may have an effect on how our D is structured.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this but the Sanheim rumored trade may have an effect on how our D is structured.
I am not buying into Hexy moving the young pieces. I think he is really trying to build a young team that will stay together. Sanheim has too much potential. Someone in the top 7 will get injured and Sanheim gets called up and sticks.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not buying into Hexy moving the young pieces. I think he is really trying to build a young team that will stay together. Sanheim has too much potential. Someone in the top 7 will get injured and Sanheim gets called up and sticks.
i was thinking at some point someone or even two have to go because if they all live up to the hype we cant afford all of them.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was thinking at some point someone or even two have to go because if they all live up to the hype we cant afford all of them.
I am thinking Sanheim is one of the keepers.
Keepers - Provy, Sanheim, Myers,
Trade able - Hagg, Morin, Ghost (Sanheim/Myers can probably take up his offense and are probably going to be a better defender)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a bit early, but that's the exact type of move I think they'll make down the road. Move one of the high end dmen for a top 6, or even top line forward. And IMO, it will be Sanheim or Ghost. I think they're pretty similar style hockey players and I'm not sure you need both. That's what I move for offensive help, assuming they need it, which they may not after taking essentially 3 first round forwards this season, plus Allison and Rubstov progressing pretty well. And Lindblom obviously.

So much young talent. Its so awesome.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking Sanheim is one of the keepers.
Keepers - Provy, Sanheim, Myers,
Trade able - Hagg, Morin, Ghost (Sanheim/Myers can probably take up his offense and are probably going to be a better defender)
Those three would be definite keepers in my book but if they all turn out as expected thats three defenseman that would make over 5.5 million each and Prov probably 7.5 . That maybe a little too much for one team to stay under the cap.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a bit early, but that's the exact type of move I think they'll make down the road. Move one of the high end dmen for a top 6, or even top line forward. And IMO, it will be Sanheim or Ghost. I think they're pretty similar style hockey players and I'm not sure you need both. That's what I move for offensive help, assuming they need it, which they may not after taking essentially 3 first round forwards this season, plus Allison and Rubstov progressing pretty well. And Lindblom obviously.

So much young talent. Its so awesome.

One thing nagging me in the back of my mind is that, at the end of the day, the Flyers are a business owned by Comcast. At some point there will be a push for profits, i.e. Playoffs NOW, possibly at the expense of building a true Cup contender. I hope that's not what we're seeing here.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toronto had 251 goals we had 219. Toronto was 5th in the league in goals for while we were tied for 20th out of 30 teams. If we scored 251 goals last season we would have done fine with the defenseman that were on our team last year.

I think we're right there with them or better once our power play and even strength goal scoring gets back to where it should be. Toronto actually gave up six more goals than we did too, despite our way below average goaltending for most of the season.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Provorov is going to be a monster this coming season. Probably 25+ minutes per game and 50+ points. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the point of the top power play unit too, either replacing Voracek or Ghost.

MacDonald probably will start, but he's not going to get anywhere near 20+ minutes again.

This difference alone from last season should improve us at both ends of the ice. In addition, I mean to say that despite this only being his second season, Provorov is ready to be one of our leaders on and off the ice. The maturity is absolutely there, despite only being 20 years old.

I think it's time to let this kid blossom into what he can quickly become. A perennial Norris Trophy candidate.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those three would be definite keepers in my book but if they all turn out as expected thats three defenseman that would make over 5.5 million each and Prov probably 7.5 . That maybe a little too much for one team to stay under the cap.

We will have space at that point. By then, Filppula, Lehtera, Read, Weise, Raffl, MacDonald, Gudas and Umberger will all be off the books. That's close to $28 million in cap space to fill.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have not seen that from LeBrun, only Eklund.

1. I would be shocked if Montreal wanted to do that. They just traded their "Sanheim" (Sergachev) for offensive help (Drouin). Why would they basically reverse that trade?

2. Pacioretty has one of the best contracts in the league and puts up 30 goals every season. He's basically Wayne Simmonds. A little more point production, a little more expensive. If I were Montreal, I'd want a heck of a lot more than Sanheim and a 3rd for him.

3. If that's a legitimate rumor, I'd do it in a heartbeat from the Flyers perspective.

Lol that;s what I was going to say.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Provorov is going to be a monster this coming season. Probably 25+ minutes per game and 50+ points. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the point of the top power play unit too, either replacing Voracek or Ghost.

MacDonald probably will start, but he's not going to get anywhere near 20+ minutes again.

This difference alone from last season should improve us at both ends of the ice. In addition, I mean to say that despite this only being his second season, Provorov is ready to be one of our leaders on and off the ice. The maturity is absolutely there, despite only being 20 years old.

I think it's time to let this kid blossom into what he can quickly become. A perennial Norris Trophy candidate.

I like Provorov a lot too, but I'm not expecting quite that much from him this season. Byfuglien, Karlsson, and Keith are the only 3 defensemen that logged 25+ minutes per night and had 50+ points last season. Maybe in 2-3 seasons he can be that, but I don't think it will be next season.

I also don't think he'll replace Ghost on the top unit. Ghost is one of the best in the NHL already at playing the top of the umbrella. It's the one facet I think he'll always be better than Provorov at because he's got a significantly better shot. However, putting Provorov in the Voracek spot makes a lot of sense to me. Then, IMO, PP2 should be a mirror image of PP1 with Voracek running it on the right half-wall instead of the left. Lindblom in front of the net, Patrick in the slot, Myers and Sanheim would be my ideal choices for the "Ghost/Voracek" spots, but they may not be on the tea yet..

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope this comes true so we can play the defense first hockey that Haks system is built for.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will have space at that point. By then, Filppula, Lehtera, Read, Weise, Raffl, MacDonald, Gudas and Umberger will all be off the books. That's close to $28 million in cap space to fill.

With Prov at an low estimated 7.5 and Ghost making 4.5 we have 12 million on two dmen. Then we would have to pay Sanheim Hagg Morin Myers at some point. If they all turn out to be studs how much more can we spend on defense without getting rid of one or two for help replacing the forwards who came off the books.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Provorov a lot too, but I'm not expecting quite that much from him this season. Byfuglien, Karlsson, and Keith are the only 3 defensemen that logged 25+ minutes per night and had 50+ points last season. Maybe in 2-3 seasons he can be that, but I don't think it will be next season.

I also don't think he'll replace Ghost on the top unit. Ghost is one of the best in the NHL already at playing the top of the umbrella. It's the one facet I think he'll always be better than Provorov at because he's got a significantly better shot. However, putting Provorov in the Voracek spot makes a lot of sense to me. Then, IMO, PP2 should be a mirror image of PP1 with Voracek running it on the right half-wall instead of the left. Lindblom in front of the net, Patrick in the slot, Myers and Sanheim would be my ideal choices for the "Ghost/Voracek" spots, but they may not be on the tea yet..
I agree i dont think Prov replaces Ghost on the PP. Ghost is experienced with Gee and his shot is much better from the point if he can only get it on net going forward. I also like your idea for the 2nd PP and keeping Couts off the unit as that has failed us for years.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Prov at an low estimated 7.5 and Ghost making 4.5 we have 12 million on two dmen. Then we would have to pay Sanheim Hagg Morin Myers at some point. If they all turn out to be studs how much more can we spend on defense without getting rid of one or two for help replacing the forwards who came off the books.

Well, they can't all play 20+ minutes if Provorov is getting 25+, maybe Myers 22+ as his partner and Ghost at 20+. At least a couple of those guys are either going to be traded away or underpaid/underutilized simply due to the fact that they don't get to show what they truly can do because we are so deep at that position.

Whichever way that goes, it should work out for us in the long run. It's mostly home grown talent and the whole franchise is going to reap the benefits of it for years to come.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, you're not likely going to pay a guy $7 million when he's your 5th defender, getting 17 to 19 minutes per game. Probably not even $5 million or close, at least not anymore. That MacDonald mistake won't be happening anymore.

These particular guys won't be put in enough offensive situations to bump their stats high enough to warrant that kind of money. So, I'm not at all worried about having too much depth here at any one position...Lol

We keep the ones we truly believe in and either keep the others at a lower rate or dangle them as trade bait for other pieces that we do need.

A true sniper on the wing would be nice, yes. Someone for G to dish the puck to, because he still does that pretty well. Voracek too.

Last edited: