• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which young guys do you guys give a shot at making the team? I see all the guys listed below as having an opportunity to win spots in camp this season.

Lindblom
#2 (looking like Patrick)
Myers
Sanheim
Morin
Hagg
Stolarz
Laughton
Vecchione

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which young guys do you guys give a shot at making the team? I see all the guys listed below as having an opportunity to win spots in camp this season.

Lindblom
#2 (looking like Patrick)
Myers
Sanheim
Morin
Hagg
Stolarz
Laughton
Vecchione

Patrick, Lindblom, Vecchione, Laughton, Morin and Hagg. Stolarz and Sanheim will probably be called up at some point though from the Phantoms.

Awfully crowded at forward though for us, but that's a good problem to have. Spots open up the following season with Filppula/Read departing however. Maybe Read doesn't even make the team next season. It's certainly possible with all of the young guns aiming for his job.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Follow up to that, I see the following as set in stone (positions in the lineup could be discussed, just wanted to lay it out to look at)

xxx - Giroux - Voracek
Filpula - xxx - Simmonds
Konecny - Couturier - Schenn
Raffl - xxx - xxx

xxx - Provorov
Gudas - Gostisbehere
xxx - xxx

Neuvirth
xxx

Weise, Read, AMac, Manning join the young guys in competition.. 4 forward spots for 6 guys, 3 d spots for 6 guys,

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line:

I'm done with just dressing guys because they get paid big money or because someone thinks they might be decent.

Fucking start our best players and roll with them. Coach them up, work out the lines/pairings and make them better.

We have to get this thing in gear now.

For what it's worth, I don't necessarily agree with making a rookie a healthy scratch either (when he's the better option). You have to take the bad with the good and move it along. Live and learn. Keep it moving.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick, Lindblom, Vecchione, Laughton, Morin and Hagg. Stolarz and Sanheim will probably be called up at some point though from the Phantoms.

Awfully crowded at forward though for us, but that's a good problem to have. Spots open up the following season with Filppula/Read departing however. Maybe Read doesn't even make the team next season. It's certainly possible with all of the young guns aiming for his job.

Follow up to that, I see the following as set in stone (positions in the lineup could be discussed, just wanted to lay it out to look at)

xxx - Giroux - Voracek
Filpula - xxx - Simmonds
Raffl - xxx - xxx

xxx - Provorov
Gudas - Gostisbehere
xxx - xxx

Neuvirth
xxx

Weise, Read, AMac, Manning join the young guys in competition.. 4 forward spots for 6 guys, 3 d spots for 6 guys,

Weal - Giroux - Voracek
Filpula - Nico or Nolan (at least for 9 games) - Simmonds
Raffl - Read/Weise/Vecchione/ Laughton

Lindblom (needs some AHL to adjust)

A Mac - Provorov
Gudas - Hagg
Gostisbehere - Morin
Manning

Neuvirth
???
14/7/2

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've ranked the top 100 skater prospects, the top 10 goalies, the top prospect at every skill and assessed where this year's top prospects rank against other recent top prospects.

What follows here is my projection for the first round of the 2017 draft, taking place Friday night in Chicago.

To reiterate, this is not my preference and ranking of various prospects. In fact, my opinion differs substantially on several players listed here. Rather, this is simply what I believe will happen Friday based on discussions with scouts and executives all season.

Note that while there will be trades before and during the draft, the official mock draft rule book states that I don't include any of my own design here.

i

1. New Jersey Devils: Cale Makar, D, Brooks (AJHL)

The popular notion for months has been that it is Nolan Patrick vs. Nico Hischier for this spot. But in the past few weeks, it has been indicated to me from several NHL sources that the Devils are leaning toward selecting Makar first overall. Moreover, GM Ray Shero has been following Makar around to get a closer look during the final weeks of his season. It's possible if Makar is the Devils' guy, this is a trade-down scenario for them.

If the Devils stay at No. 1 and Makar is the selection, it would be a ground-breaking moment in the draft. Makar would be the first top overall pick from Canadian Jr. A since Barry Gibbs in 1966, and the first top selection outside top tier junior/NCAA/pro hockey since Brian Lawton in 1983.

i

2. Philadelphia Flyers: Nico Hischier, C, Halifax (QMJHL)

Hischier was just fine down the stretch, while Patrick was on the shelf yet again. My feeling is that Hischier did enough to nudge himself ahead for the Flyers, although I have talked to several NHL sources who warn of recency bias. I've also heard that the Flyers have been doing extra homework on Owen Tippett, but it's unclear if he would be a consideration at 2 or a trade-down option.

i

3. Dallas Stars: Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)

Dallas' scouts like highly skilled and intelligent players, and if it goes Nico/Nolan for them I think it will come down to Casey Mittelstadt, who is a dynamic playmaker, or Miro Heiskanen, one of the smartest players in the draft. Dallas scouts were also paying close attention to Michael Rasmussen down the stretch. However, if Makar goes first overall, the Stars will jump at whichever one of Hischier or Patrick is left on the board.

i

4. Colorado Avalanche: Miro Heiskanen, D, HIFK (Liiga)

Colorado needs a major upgrade at defense in their organization, and sources I've talked to believe they are hoping to a chance to draft Heiskanen. Makar is also a target for the Avs, but I'm skeptical they get a shot at him.

i

5. Vancouver Canucks: Michael Rasmussen, C, Tri-City (WHL)

Cody Glass, Rasmussen and Elias Pettersson are the names I've heard linked to the Canucks, but I do believe the organization is looking to upgrade their forward group, especially after picking defender Olli Juolevi fifth overall last year and the less-than-stellar development of former sixth overall pick Jake Virtanen. I have a hunch they'll lean to Rasmussen, looking to bring in a big, skilled center.

i

6. Vegas Golden Knights: Gabriel Vilardi, C, Windsor (OHL)

Trying to project the draft tendencies of a new management group is tough, never mind a new entire team, as the three main influential voices on the draft, general manager George McPhee, assistant general manager Kelly McCrimmon and director of amateur scouting Scott Luce all have exhibited slightly difference preferences. If Makar doesn't go earlier, it'd be between he and Vilardi, and even in that scenario, it makes more sense to build strength down the middle for the future.

i

7. Arizona Coyotes: Casey Mittelstadt, C, Eden Prairie (MN HS)

Mittelstadt will fit a lot of what Arizona is trying to do, which is highly skilled players who can take over a shift like Max Domi and Clayton Keller. Elias Pettersson has some of those tendencies too, which could make him a consideration here. I think Arizona would jump at the chance to grab Makar if he were to slide down to them.

i

8. Buffalo Sabres: Cody Glass, C, Portland (WHL)

If Buffalo doesn't have a shot at Heiskanen or Makar, this could be a trade-down scenario, or a reach possibility at Timothy Liljegren if they want a defenseman and can't find the right trade. Alternatively, Glass or Pettersson are the best players available here; even if the Sabres don't need centers, you can never have enough scoring.

i

9. Detroit Red Wings: Martin Necas, C, Brno (Czech)

Every fiber of my being is telling me not to slot a European to Detroit in the first round. It's so cliché, and there is no track record that the cliché is even warranted. However, I have heard the Wings linked to Lias Andersson and Necas, among other options.

i

10. Florida Panthers: Owen Tippett, RW, Mississauga (OHL)

I think Florida will be able to add a lot of skill at this slot. Whether it's Tippett, Nick Suzuki, Eeli Tolvanen or Pettersson (if he slips to them), Florida will be in line to add a talented forward after drafting a dynamic one in Henrik Borgstrom last summer.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i

11. Los Angeles Kings: Elias Pettersson, C, Timra (Allsvenskan)

L.A. usually likes players with a little more bulk than Pettersson provides, but if he gets to 11, that's too much skill to pass up, and brings the most dynamic center to their pipeline since they drafted Brayden Schenn fifth overall in 2009. I've also heard Lias Andersson and Jusso Valimaki linked to the Kings.

i

12. Carolina Hurricanes: Nick Suzuki, C, Owen Sound (OHL)

Suzuki fits a lot of what Carolina has been trying to do in the draft lately. Despite being a little small with average speed, his skill and IQ are fantastic, and he'd help inject some scoring into an organization brimming with talent on defense. Alternatively, Timothy Liljegren, Erik Brannstrom or Kristian Vesalainen could make sense for them here.

i

13. Vegas Golden Knights (from Winnipeg Jets): Lias Andersson, C, HV 71 (SHL)

Andersson provides a good skill level as well as all-around play and grit to the Golden Knights' system, on top of being able to potentially get to the league relatively quickly. Andersson and Vilardi provide a solid foundation down the middle to start the franchise.

i

14. Tampa Bay Lightning: Kristian Vesalainen, LW, Frolunda (SHL)

Tampa usually targets high-risk players with upside, and Veslainen fits that bill, with a very strong end to his season still fresh in mind. If they don't get Vesalainen, I could see Klim Kostin being a possible target for Tampa here, or Liljegren if he gets to this point. Their gaping organizational hole at defense was addressed by the Jonathan Drouin for Mikhail Sergachev trade, so it's not a shoo-in they'll go defense here (as we might've suspected last week).

i

15. Vegas Golden Knights (from New York Islanders): Juuso Valimaki, D, Tri-City (WHL)

Valimaki adds a two-way presence to the Vegas system, and could potentially reach the top level in a few years due to his late birthday, style of play and polish. Alternatively, Vegas could be looking at Kostin here, with Vesalianen being another possibility if he's available.

i

16. Calgary Flames: Ryan Poehling, C, St. Cloud State (NCHC)

Poehling is a guy that fits into Calgary's pipeline well, given that it is devoid of forward talent particularly down the middle with the quick graduations of Sean Monahan and Sam Bennett. Poehling and defenseman Cal Foote are players I've heard linked to the Flames.

i

17. Toronto Maple Leafs: Erik Brannstrom, D, HV 71 (SHL)

The Leafs tend to target high-skill players without a high consideration for size, which is why Brannstrom could be a fit for them. Other options include Eeli Tolvanen and Kailer Yamamoto, and it almost seems lazy to make this connection, but their assistant GM Mark Hunter could look back to his old digs in London for Robert Thomas.

i

18. Boston Bruins: Klim Kostin, LW, Dynamo Moscow (KHL)

The B's have had an interesting run in the past few drafts. A few brilliant first-rounders (David Pastrnak, Charlie McAvoy), and some major head-scratchers as well. It's tough to get a good read on what their management and scouts value. It's also hard to peg Kostin, because of a combination of his high upside and tumultuous season, along with narrowing down which NHL organizations will gamble on a Russian player currently on a KHL deal. However, the rumor I've heard is Boston is very high on Kostin. Alternatively, I could see Lias Andersson go here if still available.

i

19. San Jose Sharks: Cal Foote, D, Kelowna (WHL)

San Jose could use help at blue line in its system, especially after the less than stellar development of first-rounder Mirco Mueller, who was just traded to New Jersey. Foote would bring skill and size into the system. However, if Poehling is still available here I can see him checking off a lot of boxes San Jose values.

i

20. St. Louis Blues: Eeli Tolvanen, LW, Sioux City (USHL)

The Blues have tended to target high-upside type of players in the draft, and while I hear Tolvanen may slide on Friday, he would be hard for the Blues to pass up. I also see Thomas or Kostin fitting into what they're building.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i

21. New York Rangers: Robert Thomas, C, London (OHL)

The Rangers need some top-end forward talent in their system, and haven't drafted a center high up the board since J.T. Miller. Thomas brings a lot of skill and IQ into the organization. Kailer Yamamoto is another option they'll be considering, even if he's a long-term winger, because of his upside.

i

22. Edmonton Oilers: Timothy Liljegren, D, Rogle (SHL)

The Oilers' depth chart gives them the luxury of picking best player available. They have several good young defensemen in the org, but could use a true front-line talent, and at this point in the draft there are very few available. Liljegren looked to be that type of player not too long ago, and could be a good gamble at 22. Alternatively, I see Josh Norris as a decent fit for the Oilers' system.

i

23. Arizona Coyotes (From Minnesota Wild): Kailer Yamamoto, RW, Spokane (WHL)

Yamamoto screams Arizona if he's still available at this slot. A high-upside, somewhat under-sized guy, with the potential to be a game-breaker. If Thomas or Brannstrom gets this far, they would also be potential targets for the Coyotes.

i

24. Winnipeg Jets (from Columbus Blue Jackets via Vegas): Filip Chytil, LW, Zlin (Czech)

Winnipeg has built a well-rounded organization, so there's no glaring need. If they do feel a need to add a center, maybe this pivots to Josh Norris or Shane Bowers. Chytil addresses a lot of what they value, which is high-talent players not afraid to play a skill game.

i

25. Montreal Canadiens: Nicolas Hague, D, Mississauga (OHL)

Montreal's direction at the draft has changed over the years, and Hague represents a new emphasis on athleticism and physicality, while also having good hockey tools; this would also be a move to replace Mikhail Sergachev in the farm system, to a degree. Alternatively, Morgan Frost is a name I've heard rumored to the Habs.

i

26. Chicago Blackhawks: Josh Norris, C, US U-18 (USHL)

Norris brings skill and IQ to the Chicago system, as well as versatility in play style and some extra time to sign him, as he heads to the University of Michigan; this is something Chicago values in their prospect selections. Jason Robertson and Jesper Boqvist are also players I've heard rumored to Chicago.

i

27. St. Louis Blues (from Washington Capitals): Conor Timmins, D, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)

After picking Tolvanen earlier, the Blues add to their blue line with a smart two-way defenseman with top-four potential in Timmins. While they've acquired numerous young defensemen in the past few years, they've yet to see one pay off with major dividends, leading to a path where they go after a rising rearguard prospect like Timmins. I could see top goalie prospect Jake Oettinger go to St. Louis here, too.

i

28. Ottawa Senators: Jason Robertson, LW, Kingston (OHL)

Robertson gets Ottawa a much-needed goal scorer in the farm system, bringing high levels of talent and size that Ottawa has tended to target in recent years. In the same line of thinking, Pierre-Oliver Joseph could potentially go in this slot as well.

i

29. Dallas Stars (from Anaheim Ducks): Shane Bowers, C, Waterloo (USHL)

Dallas hasn't added to the center position in the draft since Radek Faksa, making it a major organizational need, with Bowers being the best player available as well per the industry. If Brannstrom tumbles down to this slot, which is within the realm of possibilities, I think his tumble stops here.

i

30. Nashville Predators: Pierre-Oliver Joseph, D, Charlottetown (QMJHL)

That's right, the Preds are taking another defenseman. Nashville doesn't care; they would draft a defenseman every year in the first round if to them that player was the best one available. Joseph is the kind of defenseman they like, too. Smart and mobile, with the ability to play at both ends of the rink.

31. Pittsburgh Penguins: Isaac Ratcliffe, LW, Guelph (OHL)

Picking up on the Penguins' recent preferences has been difficult, given they've had no early draft picks the past few years. Ratcliffe is the clear best player left (per the industry), given how the rest of the first round has gone to this point. Henri Jokiharju is also a possibility, as are Bowers and Joseph if they get to this slot. Urho Vaakanainen is also possible here, but GM Jim Rutherford tends to stay away from defensemen this high in the draft.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob wins his 2nd Vezina for another team not name the Flyers. It makes me disgusted every day that we kept the POS Bryz and let Bob go. :mad2:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob wins his 2nd Vezina for another team not name the Flyers. It makes me disgusted every day that we kept the POS Bryz and let Bob go. :mad2:
Yep he's too small....fuck!!!! Always liked Bob but to be honest the D hasn't been good enough for any goaltender to succeed. That will change soon!
Very happy with the way the expansion draft went was happy Weal wasn't selected I think he'll have a good season this year.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep he's too small....fuck!!!! Always liked Bob but to be honest the D hasn't been good enough for any goaltender to succeed. That will change soon!
Very happy with the way the expansion draft went was happy Weal wasn't selected I think he'll have a good season this year.
I hope everyone plays above expectations and we have a nice deep playoff run. Our fans certainly deserve it.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Awaz they need a top end center to get better. More average players don't help the cause. But in saying this if their guy is gone at 2 they may move back if the price is right...and I mean Lindros deal in their favor but I can't see it happening.
I dont think we move the pick i think Hexy is just testing the waters to see whats out there

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Devils do take Makar, I think that's just another win for us. Take Hischier and keep it moving. Big win for Dallas too, not that anyone cares.

Same deal if they somehow trade the pick to Vegas, except no win for Dallas.

I'm fine with Hexy testing the waters, but unless he gets completely blown away by an offer, I don't see anything happening.