• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lavi Berube Hakstol who's next to jump behind the bench.
Maybe this guy?
b35295fb87120b21b8d237b91a130318--slap-shot-hockey-sticks.jpg

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a guy like Rod Brind'amour will make a good coach some day.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Mike Keenan
2) Larry Robinson
3) Craig MacTavish
4) Terry Murray

I'm just throwing some names out there. There are others obviously.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lavi Berube Hakstol who's next to jump behind the bench.
Lavi seemed to be a good coach, don't think Hextall fired him?

I am at the point where my expectations for this season are down to an improving and growing season to see where we are at in the end. If we keep the same system and it fails all year well we know what one of the def problems were. If we get exceedingly better than maybe we keep adding and it gets rock solid like everyone says, time will tell for sure.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lavi seemed to be a good coach, don't think Hextall fired him?

I am at the point where my expectations for this season are down to an improving and growing season to see where we are at in the end. If we keep the same system and it fails all year well we know what one of the def problems were. If we get exceedingly better than maybe we keep adding and it gets rock solid like everyone says, time will tell for sure.
Lavi is locked in at Nashville. No way will they fire him.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think i heard this today. We lost to another back up goalie.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I like that the top line has been clicking, I think you have to break it up. Hope that their offensive hot streaks can continue and they can drag some guys along with them. Keep G at wing if you like that, but maybe switch Giroux and Konecny or something. Or spread them across 3 lines and really mix it up.

You have to do something IMO. you cant just keep trotting this line up, give or take a couple 4th liners, out there, and expect different results.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I like that the top line has been clicking, I think you have to break it up. Hope that their offensive hot streaks can continue and they can drag some guys along with them. Keep G at wing if you like that, but maybe switch Giroux and Konecny or something. Or spread them across 3 lines and really mix it up.

You have to do something IMO. you cant just keep trotting this line up, give or take a couple 4th liners, out there, and expect different results.
If thats what it takes to get this team going i'm fine with that but dont we do this exact same thing year after year with little to no effect.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If thats what it takes to get this team going i'm fine with that but dont we do this exact same thing year after year with little to no effect.

gotta do something! i know your plan is to trade Giroux and/or Voracek, but that takes time to put together if that's the route you want to go down.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta do something! i know your plan is to trade Giroux and/or Voracek, but that takes time to put together if that's the route you want to go down.
Going down the same road as we do every year is certainly not what i want to do either.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going down the same road as we do every year is certainly not what i want to do either.

Ok so your options are trade Giroux or trade Voracek. Let's try to put together a scenario where that makes the team better. (lord knows i don't want to work!)

The way I see it, only teams that are pushing to win now are going to want to add those guys. Eliminate:
Detroit, Carolina, Ottawa, Florida, Buffalo, Vegas, Colorado, Arizona, NJ.

They need to have a bunch of cap space. Eliminate: Chicago, Washington, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, NYI, Nashville, NYR, Calgary, Boston, Anaheim (all have less than 4 mil in space (50% of what's needed), including any LTIR allowances)

They need to be looking for scoring. Eliminate: Tampa, St Louis, Winnipeg, Toronto (top 6 in goals/game)

Leaving:
Columbus
LA
San Jose
Minnesota
Montreal
Edmonton

Listed by their position in the standings. Minnesota and below are not currently in the playoffs, I would consider those teams the possible desperate ones, that might also be looking to shake things up. So I would be looking at those 3 teams as trade partners first.

Minnesota - 13th in GF, 11th in GA, 7.3 mil in space (only 40k before LTIR)
Montreal - 30th in GF, 26th in GA, 8.4 mil in space (5.9 before LTIR)
Edmonton - 26th in GF, 27th in GA, 12.4 mil in space (8.6 before LTIR)

Minnesota's LTIR space is from Zach Parise who they're hoping is back by Christmas. Would also, theoretically, fill the same scoring void. They're out.

So Montreal and Edmonton are my targets. Both teams woefully underachieving, both teams need scoring help. both teams have cap space. Our goal is to make the Flyers better, so we either what a similar offensive player, or a star defender for one of those guys.

Montreal has: Drouin, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, and Weber that might fit that description.

Edmonton has: Draisaitl, and Nugent-Hopkins who might fit that description. McDavid obviously does, but there's no way they're trading him. Lucic is paid like it, but hasn't scored 60 points since 2011-12, no thanks.

Further background, the Habs don't really have any NHL ready prospects, but they do have their 1st round picks. Same, ish, for the Oilers.

With that knowledge, the only guys who I think could make a positive difference in that trade would be Pacioretty, Weber, or Draisaitl. I want nothing to do with Weber's contract, so it's Pacioretty or Draisaitl.

I think you could construct something with Giroux for Pacioretty that would be fairly even with not much added to either side. Flyers take the risk of Pacioretty only being signed through next year, Habs take the risk of Giroux being signed through 2022. Is Pacioretty (72G, 72A since the start of 2015-16) an upgrade to Giroux (46G, 106A)? Both are taking some serious heat for leadership question marks.

Draisaitl you're going to have to sweeten the pot. Deep draft, bad team, I'm not trading either 1st rounder this season. So you're pulling from the prospects. Do you do Giroux and Sanheim for Draisaitl? Do the Oilers? They view Draisaitl as the Malkin to McDavid's Crosby. So you're going to have to pay big to get him, and frankly Giroux comes with some risks.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my perspective, the Oilers probably aren't going to go that dramatic with such a young and talented team. It would take more than Giroux and Sanheim to lure away Draisaitl. If I'm in charge at least. The other side of the coin, Chiarelli is an idiot. So maybe he does something stupid.

Montreal is actually pretty intriguing to me. You're basically trading Giroux for a second Simmonds (70G, 58A from 2015 to now). Both 6-2, around 200 pounds. Similar point production, similar game type. Similar contract (4.5ish through next season). If you move Giroux (or Voracek) you can probably sign both guys to new deals when they expire.

However, you just traded away Schenn and you're lamenting that deal. Giroux has had a few down seasons in a row that bring his point production in line with Pacioretty and Simmonds who have been playing the best hockey of their careers. Giroux is on pace for a revival season. If he returns to the 66G 141A production you got from him between the lockout shortened 2012 through 2015 as a near comparison, you're going to be kicking yourself again.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giroux for Pachioretty.

Jake and Laughton for Draisatl and a pick

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my perspective, the Oilers probably aren't going to go that dramatic with such a young and talented team. It would take more than Giroux and Sanheim to lure away Draisaitl. If I'm in charge at least. The other side of the coin, Chiarelli is an idiot. So maybe he does something stupid.

Montreal is actually pretty intriguing to me. You're basically trading Giroux for a second Simmonds (70G, 58A from 2015 to now). Both 6-2, around 200 pounds. Similar point production, similar game type. Similar contract (4.5ish through next season). If you move Giroux (or Voracek) you can probably sign both guys to new deals when they expire.

However, you just traded away Schenn and you're lamenting that deal. Giroux has had a few down seasons in a row that bring his point production in line with Pacioretty and Simmonds who have been playing the best hockey of their careers. Giroux is on pace for a revival season. If he returns to the 66G 141A production you got from him between the lockout shortened 2012 through 2015 as a near comparison, you're going to be kicking yourself again.
Im still lamenting that Schenn deal as we traded an all around top forward on his way up and 25 for aging only offensive players. We are already regretting this. If we are going to clean house lets clean house and Trust the Process.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giroux for Pachioretty.

Jake and Laughton for Draisatl and a pick

That doesn't get you close to Draisatl i don't think. Voracek, Sanheim, and a pick for Draisatl, is more in the ball park.

6-2, 215, 22 years old and he was 8th in the league in scoring last year. Laughton is a bottom 6 plug with limited upside. Jake is essentially an older version of Draisatl who's locked up until 34 compared to Draisaitl who's signed until he's 29. Jake is essentially the prime to retirement version of Draisaitl's prospect to prime.