• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 49ers vs Steelers

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle looks worse then us so that is good. I think Seattle is hitting that wall kind of like we did last year. It happens. I did call this on the Main board on a Seattle Thread. Seattle Fans killed me. LOL It happens in football its tough to stay on top for a long period of time.

On other News Dallas now has lost Dez and Romo. Some how still 2-0. Dallas is lucky they play in a Weak division. They have 2 teams in it that have looked the worst in the league so far Giants and Philly.

Yes this week Is a Big game for us. A win here and we are in 1st place. I do think this team bounces back. Word is 49ers stayed with the same game plan because of only having 3 days to prepare for Pitt and Pitt having 10 days. Plus going across country for early sunday game after playing the late Monday night game. Thanks NFL for screwing us like you always do.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if we really have better odds, but I like your enthusiasm. Seattle started crappy last year, but they still made the Super Bowl. It does seem that there is something different about them so far this season. Their offense is about the same (still waiting for them to use Graham, which could get scary for the rest of the league), but their D just isn't intimidating right now. I guess it's because of Chancellor's holdout.

Beating the Cards can do wonders for us, but damn, the Cards have looked mighty good these first two games. Obviously, I would love it if our Niners can be legit contenders this year, and if it somehow happens, it would be great, but I don't expect us to even make the playoffs this season. I will just enjoy watching each week to see if this team improves as the season goes along and to see which players show us something.
Cards do you look good but to be fair they haven't played anyone. They beat Saints who just lost at home to TB and they beat Bears with out Jerffery and Cutler. Not impressed.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cards do you look good but to be fair they haven't played anyone. They beat Saints who just lost at home to TB and they beat Bears with out Jerffery and Cutler. Not impressed.

I know right. Didn't think the Saints would be 0-2.

The Cards have a good pair of receivers and a healthy Carson Palmer. I hope they don't have a field day like Big Ben and Antonio Brown.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our big problem this week will be the oline and it will probably continue to be a bug problem

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers
— Rookie defensive end Arik Armstead (+1.3) played only 14 snaps yesterday, but he was still able to flash his skills. The Oregon alum recorded two quarterback hurries on his nine pass rush snaps, which was tied for most among the 49ers. Besides his success in going after Ben Roethlisberger, Armstead also graded positively against the run with a run defense grade of +0.8.
— While the Steelers dominated the 49ers throughout the entire game, quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s (+3.8) play can provide hope to the team’s fans. Kaepernick’s pass grade of +7.4 was actually higher than that of Roethlisberger’s, as the San Francisco quarterback accurately delivered 11 of his 13 passes over 10 yards, although two of these were dropped. Kaepernick completed 27 of 32 passes when he was not blitzed and finished with a passer rating of 126.8 on these throws.
— Joe Staley (-0.4) has been a reliable piece of the San Francisco 49ers offensive line for years, however yesterday he did not stand out from a struggling unit. Although he was his usual dominant self in the run game as he picked up a run block grade of +1.4, he was one of the weaker members of the line when it came to protecting Kaepernick. Staley allowed two sacks, two quarterback hurries (both most on his team), and four quarterback hurries. San Francisco fans can hope this was just an off day for the veteran tackle rather than a sign of things to come.
Top performers:
QB Colin Kaepernick (+3.8)
WR Torrey Smith (+2.3)
TE Vernon Davis (+2.0)
DE Arik Armstead (+1.3)
ILB NaVorro Bowman and NT Ian Williams (both +1.1)

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know right. Didn't think the Saints would be 0-2.

The Cards have a good pair of receivers and a healthy Carson Palmer. I hope they don't have a field day like Big Ben and Antonio Brown.
3 good Wrs(Floyd, Fitz, Brown). Our Secondary has to play their A game for us to have a shot.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers
— Rookie defensive end Arik Armstead (+1.3) played only 14 snaps yesterday, but he was still able to flash his skills. The Oregon alum recorded two quarterback hurries on his nine pass rush snaps, which was tied for most among the 49ers. Besides his success in going after Ben Roethlisberger, Armstead also graded positively against the run with a run defense grade of +0.8.
— While the Steelers dominated the 49ers throughout the entire game, quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s (+3.8) play can provide hope to the team’s fans. Kaepernick’s pass grade of +7.4 was actually higher than that of Roethlisberger’s, as the San Francisco quarterback accurately delivered 11 of his 13 passes over 10 yards, although two of these were dropped. Kaepernick completed 27 of 32 passes when he was not blitzed and finished with a passer rating of 126.8 on these throws.
— Joe Staley (-0.4) has been a reliable piece of the San Francisco 49ers offensive line for years, however yesterday he did not stand out from a struggling unit. Although he was his usual dominant self in the run game as he picked up a run block grade of +1.4, he was one of the weaker members of the line when it came to protecting Kaepernick. Staley allowed two sacks, two quarterback hurries (both most on his team), and four quarterback hurries. San Francisco fans can hope this was just an off day for the veteran tackle rather than a sign of things to come.
Top performers:
QB Colin Kaepernick (+3.8)
WR Torrey Smith (+2.3)
TE Vernon Davis (+2.0)
DE Arik Armstead (+1.3)
ILB NaVorro Bowman and NT Ian Williams (both +1.1)

Armstead needs to play more if he is getting the most pressures. No one else was.
Oline and secondary has to play better for us to have a chance. Also We need some kind of pass rush.

Again I think yesterday was a lack of preparation. Word is we didn't change our game from Minn. Because it was a really short week staff thought it would be better to stay with what they did and hope it works out. In a way this was a throw away game. I hate to say that because u should never throw away a game but Pitt had one of the biggest advantages I have seen in a long time(10 days rest, Home, coming off loss, Niners 3 days, coming off late Monday night game, travel across country and having an 1pm game.) NFl really screwed this one up with scheduling. Again no excuses but these are major factors.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Armstead needs to play more if he is getting the most pressures. No one else was.
Oline and secondary has to play better for us to have a chance. Also We need some kind of pass rush.

Again I think yesterday was a lack of preparation. Word is we didn't change our game from Minn. Because it was a really short week staff thought it would be better to stay with what they did and hope it works out. In a way this was a throw away game. I hate to say that because u should never throw away a game but Pitt had one of the biggest advantages I have seen in a long time(10 days rest, Home, coming off loss, Niners 3 days, coming off late Monday night game, travel across country and having an 1pm game.) NFl really screwed this one up with scheduling. Again no excuses but these are major factors.
After reading comments this AM from Big Ben and some football analysts, I am starting to wonder whether we out schemed ourselves on D. We kept trying to disguise our coverages but apparently players were late getting back into position. We put our safeties up on the LOS but the weren't always there to help with coverage. Big Ben stated the 49ers were trying to disguise coverages but Pitt just lined up and played.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading comments this AM from Big Ben and some football analysts, I am starting to wonder whether we out schemed ourselves on D. We kept trying to disguise our coverages but apparently players were late getting back into position. We put our safeties up on the LOS but the weren't always there to help with coverage. Big Ben stated the 49ers were trying to disguise coverages but Pitt just lined up and played.

That's exactly what I was thinking in my head when I was watching the game. When we played Minny (way worse team), it looked like we were lining up and pinning our ears back. This last game I think we got a little too concerned with getting beat than lining up to stop it...I knew if we didn't get help over the top Brown was going to murder us...which is exactly what happened.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly what I was thinking in my head when I was watching the game. When we played Minny (way worse team), it looked like we were lining up and pinning our ears back. This last game I think we got a little too concerned with getting beat than lining up to stop it...I knew if we didn't get help over the top Brown was going to murder us...which is exactly what happened.
I don't get how you don't double team Brown and make sure u don't get beat by him. he is the best WR in the league. Plan 1 should be STOP brown. Let others beat us. Big mistake by the coaches.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put more of the blame on our lack of ability to get to Big Ben than our DB's ability to cover. It appeared the plan was to pressure the QB so there wasn't time to make those deep throws. No pressure = beat DB's no matter how elite they are you simple can't cover NFL WR's in today's game without help if they have enough time to out position you.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put more of the blame on our lack of ability to get to Big Ben than our DB's ability to cover. It appeared the plan was to pressure the QB so there wasn't time to make those deep throws. No pressure = beat DB's no matter how elite they are you simple can't cover NFL WR's in today's game without help if they have enough time to out position you.

I think both played a big factor. But yeah, can't give Big Ben that much time to throw and as Purguy listed above it is alot to ask our young DBs to cover Antonio Brown one and one. Big Ben's throws were perfect Sunday.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much to say about that ass kicking. I'll only add a few points. SF tried a lot of stretch counter plays to get Hyde going, but the key to that is the TE blocking - and they were all pretty terrible. M. Martin was also sub par in those run plays - I'm sure people remember one time when I believe it was Staley who turned to him and chewed him out big time, although I believe that was a pass play. Dewey wasn't much better, and Pears was thoroughly abused. Boone was OK, and Staley was without question the best of the bunch.

The drops - when they come in bunches, it seems to be an indicator that I can shut down the TV as the outcome has already been decided. Kaepernick was good, and while he was without a lot of help and more than carried his own, a lot of the numbers came when the game was no longer in doubt. Still - he is one of the last people I look at when assessing this nonsense of a game.

Defensively.....Mangini rarely ever blitzed and the 4 rushers barely ever touched Ben. The corners were playing more press than I can remember in recent years, and the Steelers receivers were blowing right by them. Just a disaster in pass defense, that I can't say much about the run defense because that would be looking for a moral victory.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seattle looks worse then us so that is good. I think Seattle is hitting that wall kind of like we did last year. It happens. I did call this on the Main board on a Seattle Thread. Seattle Fans killed me. LOL It happens in football its tough to stay on top for a long period of time.

On other News Dallas now has lost Dez and Romo. Some how still 2-0. Dallas is lucky they play in a Weak division. They have 2 teams in it that have looked the worst in the league so far Giants and Philly.

Yes this week Is a Big game for us. A win here and we are in 1st place. I do think this team bounces back. Word is 49ers stayed with the same game plan because of only having 3 days to prepare for Pitt and Pitt having 10 days. Plus going across country for early sunday game after playing the late Monday night game. Thanks NFL for screwing us like you always do.

I don't know that anyone looks worse than us after this week. Or were we watching different games? The Hawks have played two road games, and lost competitive games. They played poorly against the Rams, especially on D, but that Rams front four is going to destroy us when we play them. If we can't establish the run game against them, we're hosed. Seattle's D looked pretty good against the Packers. Sure, they allowed 27 points, but they made Rodgers work for it. That's on the road in a tough environment. They are all but certain to win this week against a Cutler-less Bears team in Seattle. They'll be favored against the Lions. Tough game on the road at the Bengals, then Carolina back at home. It would be the height of stupidity to write them off at this point.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I'd be in favor of letting Armstead and Harold get some more PT on passing downs. Nothing is working anyway, so might as well try the young guys.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that anyone looks worse than us after this week. Or were we watching different games? The Hawks have played two road games, and lost competitive games. They played poorly against the Rams, especially on D, but that Rams front four is going to destroy us when we play them. If we can't establish the run game against them, we're hosed. Seattle's D looked pretty good against the Packers. Sure, they allowed 27 points, but they made Rodgers work for it. That's on the road in a tough environment. They are all but certain to win this week against a Cutler-less Bears team in Seattle. They'll be favored against the Lions. Tough game on the road at the Bengals, then Carolina back at home. It would be the height of stupidity to write them off at this point.
I guess so because seattle is 0-2 and we are 1-1. Seattle looks really bad. Not writing them off but its not a good start. Their D isn't even close to what it has been and their offense is not moving the ball. As of right now yes they are below us.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont get this analysis. The Niners had THREE DAYS to prep for this game while the Steelers had TEN DAYS. Supposedly, they decided to use the same game plan as they used against the Vikings because they thought they would get better results than implementing a brand new plan in 3 days. Didnt work.

I dont think the Niners are a powerful team like it looked after week 1. But they certainly arent a bottom feeder like they looked after week 2 either. I think they are a 7-9 win team. Basically what we thought coming in.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I guess so because seattle is 0-2 and we are 1-1. Seattle looks really bad. Not writing them off but its not a good start. Their D isn't even close to what it has been and their offense is not moving the ball. As of right now yes they are below us.

They were leading GB in GB going into the fourth quarter. Their D is not dominant right now - and seems particularly susceptible to the run - but once they get home for back-to-back games, I think we'll see rumors of their demise were overstated. Again, did you watch us play on Sunday? We looked terrible in every facet of the game. Beating Minnesota at home in week one doesn't make us a better team than Seattle.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I dont get this analysis. The Niners had THREE DAYS to prep for this game while the Steelers had TEN DAYS. Supposedly, they decided to use the same game plan as they used against the Vikings because they thought they would get better results than implementing a brand new plan in 3 days. Didnt work.

I dont think the Niners are a powerful team like it looked after week 1. But they certainly arent a bottom feeder like they looked after week 2 either. I think they are a 7-9 win team. Basically what we thought coming in.

I don't disagree. I think we're a team that's likely to end up around .500, with a chance to do more (or less...). But we're coming off a game in which - regardless of the many legitimate excuses - we looked absolutely atrocious in just about every phase. Until and unless we bounce back, who's to say that week one wasn't the anomaly? I certainly wouldn't say we're better than the super bowl runners up at this time.