• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 49ers vs Steelers

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree. I think we're a team that's likely to end up around .500, with a chance to do more (or less...). But we're coming off a game in which - regardless of the many legitimate excuses - we looked absolutely atrocious in just about every phase. Until and unless we bounce back, who's to say that week one wasn't the anomaly? I certainly wouldn't say we're better than the super bowl runners up at this time.
I wont compare us to Seattle at this time. Too early in the season for those discussions.

However, I think there is more evidence that the team is closer to what they showed against Minnesota than what they showed against Pittsburgh. Two teams with equal prep time is a better barometer than what was offered for week 2.

That said, This team may still end up 1-3 (or so) and still be the equivalent of a 8-8 team. The schedule to start off this season is brutal. I can totally see us at 3-8. And that is not me saying they are a "3-8 team". That would be the by-product of the schedule.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree. I think we're a team that's likely to end up around .500, with a chance to do more (or less...). But we're coming off a game in which - regardless of the many legitimate excuses - we looked absolutely atrocious in just about every phase. Until and unless we bounce back, who's to say that week one wasn't the anomaly? I certainly wouldn't say we're better than the super bowl runners up at this time.
Everything was set up for us to fail in that game. I brush that game off. I don't put too much into that game. Like people stated before there was a lot of reason why we didn't play well. 1st off the coaches didn't change their game plan from the Minn because of the 3 days prep time. They thought it would be better to stick with the same one.

This week will tell us a lot in my opinion. There are no excuses for this week. A win or a close loss would be good signs. If we look like we did this last week then yes 49ers are in BIG trouble. Lets wait and see. I think we are of the middle between Minn and Pitt.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything was set up for us to fail in that game. I brush that game off. I don't put too much into that game. Like people stated before there was a lot of reason why we didn't play well. 1st off the coaches didn't change their game plan from the Minn because of the 3 days prep time. They thought it would be better to stick with the same one.

This week will tell us a lot in my opinion. There are no excuses for this week. A win or a close loss would be good signs. If we look like we did this last week then yes 49ers are in BIG trouble. Lets wait and see. I think we are of the middle between Minn and Pitt.
Yup.

However, having our "Come to Jesus" game against Arizona is not fair. I think the Niners can lose decidedly and still be a relatively OK team.

A close loss or a win would be amazing.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something to keep in mind
That Minnesota team we held to 3 points and pretty much dominated on Monday night did go on to beat Detroit at home and dropped 26 on them. Our team looked much better on offense and defense compared to Detroit.

It's possible the Steelers are the 2nd best team in football right now with the Patriots just being that much better. I wonder if anyone still thinks under inflated balls is necessary for the Brady to win games? He's pretty much unstoppable to start the season off.

Arizona on the other hand played maybe 2 of the worst defenses in the league and a Bears team without their QB or top WR to fight back with. I would say this coming week is more of a proving game for them than for us. I can't believe the Power Rankings have them so high after only getting victories over two 0-2 teams.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible the Steelers are the 2nd best team in football right now with the Patriots just being that much better.

Can't help but agree with this. Pittsburgh is a suspended running back and a descent kicker away from closing the gap with New England.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

This week should arguably tell us more than either of the first two games. And yes, I've been saying since the schedule came out that we were set up to fail in week two. But I can't see just brushing last week off. The issues that the Steelers exploited were issues we've all known about most of the offseason. It's not like our OL or poor pass rush were a shock. The safety play was the only real surprise this past week, and I think much of that is because they were trying too hard to disguise coverages.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This week should arguably tell us more than either of the first two games. And yes, I've been saying since the schedule came out that we were set up to fail in week two. But I can't see just brushing last week off. The issues that the Steelers exploited were issues we've all known about most of the offseason. It's not like our OL or poor pass rush were a shock. The safety play was the only real surprise this past week, and I think much of that is because they were trying too hard to disguise coverages.

Totally agree with this. I also think the sateties are not used to playing this scheme yet. They are used to playing in Fangio's system which is straightforward. Big Ben talked about the 49ers trying to disguise coverages and how they beat it. Was a good strategy against an inexperienced QB like Bridgewater but didn't work against Big Ben.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle got Kam back. That should help them. Maybe AD might want to come back and save the RT position for us. LOL

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle got Kam back. That should help them. Maybe AD might want to come back and save the RT position for us. LOL

Their Defense is ranked near the bottom of the league right now. If Kam coming back suddenly fixes all their defensive problems they need to pay the man.

Seattle has other problems though mainly like us their offensive line is still a work in progress. They can't run block for Lynch which if forcing more on Wilson than he's capable of delivering. They probably win the next 2 games just cause they are at home against a crippled Bears team and an underachieving Lions team. That might get them back on track, but so far they are a long ways off from their dominate selves of the last 2 years.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Their Defense is ranked near the bottom of the league right now. If Kam coming back suddenly fixes all their defensive problems they need to pay the man.

Seattle has other problems though mainly like us their offensive line is still a work in progress. They can't run block for Lynch which if forcing more on Wilson than he's capable of delivering. They probably win the next 2 games just cause they are at home against a crippled Bears team and an underachieving Lions team. That might get them back on track, but so far they are a long ways off from their dominate selves of the last 2 years.

Playing GB in GB will do that. That said, they've been surprisingly vulnerable to both run and pass. Kam coming back should help them close off the middle of the field - though I can't think he's going to play this week - but they've got other questions they way they've been playing lately. Their OL might be more of a mess than ours. Lynch is getting met in the backfield almost every time he touches the ball.