• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers vs GB Post Game Thread:

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I could ask him to come down with that deep ball. But I agree that he did pretty well for his first live action since the injury. But I'd be happier if he were the #3 or #4 receiver.

You might want to rewatch the play. Williams had a couple steps on the DB. If Kaep throws it a bit farther he catches it and its a TD. Kaep under threw it and Williams had to come back to the ball and the DB got his hand in there and tipped it away. I don't see how that was Williams fault.

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might want to rewatch the play. Williams had a couple steps on the DB. If Kaep throws it a bit farther he catches it and its a TD. Kaep under threw it and Williams had to come back to the ball and the DB got his hand in there and tipped it away. I don't see how that was Williams fault.

The only fault I can see on that play for Williams, is that he tried to catch the ball with his body not his hands. That ball was badly underthrown, majority of the blame on that singular play lies with Kap. Oh well it happens.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I know it was an underthrow. Williams still should have come down with it.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it was an underthrow. Williams still should have come down with it.

I don't think you can say he should of caught it. I think saying he could of caught it is better.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The only fault I can see on that play for Williams, is that he tried to catch the ball with his body not his hands. That ball was badly underthrown, majority of the blame on that singular play lies with Kap. Oh well it happens.

Kap was hit as he threw. He couldn't step into it the way he otherwise would have. I'm not saying it was a good throw. But this is a league of imperfections. Williams had a chance to make a play at a crucial time in the game, and he didn't do it. It would have been a challenging catch, but it's a play I expect our #2 receiver to make.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think you can say he should of caught it. I think saying he could of caught it is better.

If he could have caught it, he should have caught it. He got his hands on the ball before the DB hit it. He needed to make that grab.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Ugh this rule/penalty thing bothers me. Kap was hit out of bounds late which to me is the focal point. He was headed out of bounds and Matthews decided to pull a flying clothesline. The stuff with Staley and Matthews after were separate of the late hit. IMO it should have been first down as the late hit makes it first down and the rest offsets. So it being 3rd down is somewhat karma.

Secondly, the Pack can blame McCarthy since the play before he decided to have the Niners replay the down.

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap was hit as he threw. He couldn't step into it the way he otherwise would have. I'm not saying it was a good throw. But this is a league of imperfections. Williams had a chance to make a play at a crucial time in the game, and he didn't do it. It would have been a challenging catch, but it's a play I expect our #2 receiver to make.

Yeah I expected him to catch it. I could have stated that better. I expect a number two to catch with his hands. It was also a little strong to say blame on Kap. More like it happened to be underthrown, and thats the main reason he didn't make the catch.

I screamed at the TV "oh come on man you got to catch that". I'm just not all the mad at him that he didn't because it was so badly late. Somewhat conflicted I guess, I can see it either way.

I don't think Williams should be our number two. His body size and skill set scream slot receiver to me. Its just too bad we may not have any better options at this point.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ugh this rule/penalty thing bothers me. Kap was hit out of bounds late which to me is the focal point. He was headed out of bounds and Matthews decided to pull a flying clothesline. The stuff with Staley and Matthews after were separate of the late hit. IMO it should have been first down as the late hit makes it first down and the rest offsets. So it being 3rd down is somewhat karma.

Secondly, the Pack can blame McCarthy since the play before he decided to have the Niners replay the down.

I don't see how the penalty on Matthews is a dead ball foul. That's kind of the point, isn't it? The play should have been dead, but Matthews didn't let it die. He kept going. Calling offsetting on that is BS. I don't have a huge problem with them flagging Staley, though what he did is no worse than you'd expect when there's blatant unnecessary roughness on the QB. But it shouldn't erase the initial penalty, and it sure as shit shouldn't result in the play standing IMO.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah I expected him to catch it. I could have stated that better. I expect a number two to catch with his hands. It was also a little strong to say blame on Kap. More like it happened to be underthrown, and thats the main reason he didn't make the catch.

I screamed at the TV "oh come on man you got to catch that". I'm just not all the mad at him that he didn't because it was so badly late. Somewhat conflicted I guess, I can see it either way.

I don't think Williams should be our number two. His body size and skill set scream slot receiver to me. Its just too bad we may not have any better options at this point.

That's fair. I didn't mean to be overly hard on Williams. I was really just intending to respond to the "can't ask him to do more than that" line.

Along these lines, I didn't fault McDonald as much as Kap for his second down pass that was incomplete. That was a tough ball, though he could have caught it.

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair. I didn't mean to be overly hard on Williams. I was really just intending to respond to the "can't ask him to do more than that" line.

Along these lines, I didn't fault McDonald as much as Kap for his second down pass that was incomplete. That was a tough ball, though he could have caught it.

Yeah I hear ya, its all nitpicking at this point. Kap had a great game through the air. The passing attack looked strong weather or not it was just Green Bay trying to stop the run. I'm pretty stoked we are 1-0.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I believe we just beat a team that we may face in the playoffs. The Seahwaks are a concern but GB showed they are a scary team. Lets win this game against the chickens and move on. It'll be difficult in Seattle but it should be a win.

Russell has shown me he is a QB to reckon with. He's not a one year wonder, he's for real.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
So, I believe we just beat a team that we may face in the playoffs. The Seahwaks are a concern but GB showed they are a scary team. Lets win this game against the chickens and move on. It'll be difficult in Seattle but it should be a win.

Russell has shown me he is a QB to reckon with. He's not a one year wonder, he's for real.

Didn't catch the Hawks game, how did the look?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Green Bay Packers vs. San Francisco 49ers - Recap - September 08, 2013 - ESPN

Just some of the highlights:

Colin Kaepernick is the 5th quarterback in Super Bowl era to throw for at least 400 yards, with 3 TD passes and no interceptions in a season opener. He's 2nd this season (joining Peyton Manning).

The 49ers had seven zone-read option rushes for 10 yards Sunday. They had 16 zone-read rushes for 176 yards in the 2012 NFC Divisional Playoff. The Packers were more physical as promised in this contest, hitting Kaepernick on 4-of-9 opportunities (scrambles + sacks + designed runs), compared with 5-of-17 plays in the playoffs last season.

Colin Kaepernick was 9-of-11 for 152 yards and a pair of touchdowns using play-action fakes. Vernon Davis caught all four targets for 74 yards and both touchdowns on play-action passes. Davis also had 81 of his 98 total receiving yards from the slot. Last season, Davis gained less than one-quarter of his total receiving yards from the slot.

Anquan Boldin is the 6th active player with multiple 200-yard receiving games.

Aaron Rodgers was his normal productive self against a standard pass rush Sunday, completing 20-of-30 passes for 330 yards and three touchdowns. However, when the 49ers sent extra pressure after Rodgers, as they did on 4-of-8 3rd-down dropbacks, he was ineffective. Rodgers finished the game 4-of-8 for 45 yards on 3rd down, converting only twice.

Colin Kaepernick completed 69% of his passes and threw for 350 yards and 2 touchdowns from the pocket Sunday. The last time these two teams met, Kaepernick completed a career-low 55% of his passes from the inside the pocket.

Colin Kaepernick had a Total QBR of 89.8 Sunday, the second highest of his career and the highest QBR against the Packers in the regular season since the 2009 season. It's not the highest Total QBR for Kaepernick in his career against the Packers; he posted a 92.4 in the NFC Divisional playoffs against Green Bay last season. The last quarterback to have a higher Total QBR against the Packers in the regular season was Brett Favre in 2009 (Week 4, 95.1).

Colin Kaepernick completed 8-of-15 passes for 212 yards and a touchdown on throws at least 15 yards downfield. His average pass was thrown a career-long 13.7 yards downfield. Kaepernick completed 54% of those deep attempts last season (including postseason), 3rd in the NFL. Anquan Boldin caught 5 passes at least 15 yards downfield, tied for his most in a game since 2008.

Vernon Davis' 20-yd TD came lined up in the slot, he had 0 TDs lined up in the slot last season (inc. postseason).

Through Anquan Boldin's 10-yard TD reception, the 49ers have converted on 6 of their first 8 third down plays. Kaepernick is 3-of-3 with 41 yards targeting Boldin on third downs so far.

Including the postseason, Colin Kaepernick was hit on 57.1% (12-of-21)of his option rushes last season, the lowest percentage among all option quarterbacks. Kaepernick led all players with 5 option rushing touchdowns and had the highest per carry average on options (10.5 - minimum 5 option rushes).

Colin Kaepernick completed 5-of-6 third-down passes for 2 touchdowns in the 1st half, and the 49ers have converted 6-of-10 third downs. Kaepernick has continued the 49ers third-down success against the Packers from last postseason, when they converted on 8-of-13 third downs.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A couple of thoughts on the botched third down call...

First, it would have never even been in question had Clay Mathews not hit Kaepernick late out of bounds. If Packer fans or anyone else wants to complain about it, they should start with Mathews bone-headed play first.

Secondly, I never saw the Green Bay coaching staff protesting the call or even ask for an explanation. They let it go and missed it just like everyone else. It took atleast 20 minutes until anyone even noticed when Mike Pereira pointed it out. Again, start your questioning with the Packers.

And the third point would be, even if the refs had caught it no one knows what the 49ers would have done on fourth and short.

In hindsight, it was poetic justice. Staley should have never been flagged, and Mathews was borderline asking to be ejected during the scuffle. I think everything ended up where it should have been after all of that...

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHO CARES!

mathews committed a dirty hit, and the niners won. all I need to know

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other thing.....Boldin's performance conclusively shows me Moss was washed up last year. I get it, Alex started the season at QB, but Moss never even approached what Boldin did yesterday even with Kap.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike and Mike just pointed out that McCarthy accepted a penalty that changed it from 4th and 1 to 3rd and 6. That preceded the Matthews play. So, that decision by McCarthy on the previously play played into the whole sequence as well.