• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers @ Steelers Pre Game Thread:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers D isn't what it use to be and I think the Vikes actually have a better D than the Steelers. Big Ben isn't gonna go down so easy like Teddy did when we blitz. We have to make sure when we get to Big Ben you have to sack him. Last thing we need is Big Ben breaking a tackle and throwing up a deep ball to Antonio. If Hyde can run like he did last game and we can contain Brown and sack Big Ben I like our odds. I would also like to see a play action deep pass to Torrey this Sunday. I was very surprised we didn't try throwing deep to Torrey at all.

Yes but he also wont run away from a defender. We had what 5 sacks we could of easily had 7-8 sacks if their was a QB back there that cant run. Not saying Teddy is this super quick guy. I do agree Big ben is tougher to take down, u need to arms to bring him down but he is also a lot slower and easier to catch.

I don't think Hyde will run like that again. Pitt will stack the box and let Kap try and beat us but I still think Hyde will get his yards. I also agree with you we should at least once a game throw a deep ball to T. Smith. We also have to get him more touches.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Steelers defense is terrible so the offense should have no trouble moving the ball. Good match up for are defense, Gonna be a good game cant wait

our offense hasn't had trouble moving the ball for some time....between the 20's that is.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I expect SF to establish Hyde early and playaction off him with some deep shots (note plural) in this game...you have to test the Steeler safeties after seeing the NE game. I think they didn't want it on tape last week...but Smith has burned PIT in the past..they should be expecting it too, but can they stop it?

Agree, we'll start off trying to establish Hyde. But then again, i'd think we'll do this in every game? Based off your N.E. game, Hyde will have an effective game on Sunday. Not saying he'll repeat those stats of Monday night, but effective enough to open up the pass.

Don't know about play action, but i'd guess medium passes to Boldin and TE's? no doubt we will take a deep shot with Torrey Smith, guessing once per half?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers have had more rest, but I'm not sure you can really say they've had more time to prepare for us. They probably knew about as much as we all did about this team before Monday night. Now they know Hyde is dangerous and we like to run bootlegs and use option plays. I'd imagine prior to Monday these were things they were not preparing to hard for out of us. The 3 TE sets is also something different that will test their LB's and Safeties discipline in defended run vs pass.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our offense hasn't had trouble moving the ball for some time....between the 20's that is.
True. And I believe that's because the minute they hit the red zone Kaepernick will not throw the ball in the middle. The tight space scares and confuses him so the offense stalls there. Now that we've got Hyde in there though we might get some TDs instead of always having field goal attempts.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers have had more rest, but I'm not sure you can really say they've had more time to prepare for us. They probably knew about as much as we all did about this team before Monday night. Now they know Hyde is dangerous and we like to run bootlegs and use option plays. I'd imagine prior to Monday these were things they were not preparing to hard for out of us. The 3 TE sets is also something different that will test their LB's and Safeties discipline in defended run vs pass.
But they've had extra time to prepare and hone their game plan to use against us. Give me 10 days to prepare and I'm at home against an inferior team and I like my chances.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy, I sure hope we are not falling into that old trap of "We'll play our game and you have to stop us". The Patriot way is better where you prepare a plan each week that is specific to your opponent and exploiting his particular weknesses. I hope the Niners have something different prepared from Monday's game plan.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but he also wont run away from a defender. We had what 5 sacks we could of easily had 7-8 sacks if their was a QB back there that cant run. Not saying Teddy is this super quick guy. I do agree Big ben is tougher to take down, u need to arms to bring him down but he is also a lot slower and easier to catch.

I don't think Hyde will run like that again. Pitt will stack the box and let Kap try and beat us but I still think Hyde will get his yards. I also agree with you we should at least once a game throw a deep ball to T. Smith. We also have to get him more touches.
Agreed. They will know where to find Big Ben; the trick will be getting him on the ground.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One advantage we had against Minny is they couldn't really game plan. The coaching staff was really good about no showing what this team was going to do during the preseason. There is no game tape of what Mangini and Chryst were going to do.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
True. And I believe that's because the minute they hit the red zone Kaepernick will not throw the ball in the middle. The tight space scares and confuses him so the offense stalls there. Now that we've got Hyde in there though we might get some TDs instead of always having field goal attempts.

Yep, Kaep doesn't "see the field" like top QB, and the red zone is an even smaller field. He doesn't have touch passes either, so even dump off's in the middle - short of the goal line - are dangerous throws.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But they've had extra time to prepare and hone their game plan to use against us. Give me 10 days to prepare and I'm at home against an inferior team and I like my chances.

they certainly have more rest and more practice time, so "10 days to prepare" is correct. But the Steelers didn't have more time to game plan against the 49ers. As posted earlier, they can't game plan until after our Monday night game. They have to break down the film of the 49er's, before they can game plan.

if anything the 49er's had more time to game plan, having seen the film of Steelers vs Patriots.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they certainly have more rest and more practice time, so "10 days to prepare" is correct. But the Steelers didn't have more time to game plan against the 49ers. As posted earlier, they can't game plan until after our Monday night game. They have to break down the film of the 49er's, before they can game plan.

if anything the 49er's had more time to game plan, having seen the film of Steelers vs Patriots.
Boy, I sure hope the 49ers don't come into Pittsburgh with the same game plan. As you said, Pitt will be preparing for that. We've got to do like the Patriots do and develop a game plan each week that is specific to the opponent and exploiting that team's weaknesses.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Kaep doesn't "see the field" like top QB, and the red zone is an even smaller field. He doesn't have touch passes either, so even dump off's in the middle - short of the goal line - are dangerous throws.
As evidenced by the grounder he threw at Boldin's feet the one time he did try a slant inside the 10. The footwork and the rushed throw on that one were pathetic.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Boy, I sure hope the 49ers don't come into Pittsburgh with the same game plan. As you said, Pitt will be preparing for that. We've got to do like the Patriots do and develop a game plan each week that is specific to the opponent and exploiting that team's weaknesses.

yes, that's a given for every opponent. But it is harder for we fans to distinguish the changes in the run game? No doubt they'ill adjust for Pitt's front 7, but likely too subtle for us to see?

What they change in the passing game will be more noticible. Yes, do attack their weakness which seems to be slower LB's? After establishing the run, force their LB's to cover TE's.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the betting odds of the stadium lights going out? Instant 9er advantage some fans of other teams said.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope we see more of Ellington on offense this week. Kid is fast. Patton is just not good. I would actually like to see white get active this week and Patton get in active. I have given up on Patton.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hope we see more of Ellington on offense this week. Kid is fast. Patton is just not good. I would actually like to see white get active this week and Patton get in active. I have given up on Patton.

For me, no. Not that i expect him to be a force, but didn't see anything to say he isn't a good back-up? As the season goes on, i'm sure he'll get some chances on which fans can judge.

Looking past this season, if he's not good enough, the 'natural selection' of the NFL will take care of that. For one thing, Smelter will be competing next off season.......IF he is able.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce Ellington listed on injury report as questionable due to ankle injury. This guy just can't seem to stay off the injury report.