• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers sign Kassim Osgood

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't disagree that Osgood is likely to make the team, but a STs player's spot is always more volatile than a guy who contributes on offense or defense, IMO. We've had a slew of STs stars who we have dropped in recent years. I'm not convinced Osgood isn't facing the same sort of threat from a younger player, particularly if there's one who has promise at a position.

no doubt, ST's are more volatile than position players. Osgood signed for $955K, but didn't see any of it being guaranteed?

that said, it seems like we almost dedicate two spots for quality gunners? isn't Ventrone in similar situation, brought in as just a gunner?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
no doubt, ST's are more volatile than position players. Osgood signed for $955K, but didn't see any of it being guaranteed?

that said, it seems like we almost dedicate two spots for quality gunners? isn't Ventrone in similar situation, brought in as just a gunner?

Yeah, Osgood, Ventrone, and Spillman are our three guys who are primarily there for STs. Wilhoite was initially, but will step into a bigger role. Skuta was as well, but he got a decent amount play playing time at OLB and did pretty well last year. I'm sure we'll have a spot or two dedicated to a STs guy, but those guys can turnover a fair bit. I was shocked when they cut Michael Robinson, for instance. Granted that was a different staff.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, IF he makes it, but IMO it'll take a lot to unseat him.

you have to have a few guys that can cover kick-offs and punts WELL. he came in highly regarded, and he performed last season. so even if he is only for special teams play, ok by me. not every ST coverage player, doubles as a highly regarded position player.

maybe they can TRY him out in the RZ? not be THE guy for that situation, but use him depending on the opponent?
Maybe he could be a ST player but IMO he will be put out by whom the 9ers sign as rookies this season. I also think Baldwin will be gone. The talent in this draft is deep and our current ST/WR help is pathetic IMO.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Osgood, Ventrone, and Spillman are our three guys who are primarily there for STs. Wilhoite was initially, but will step into a bigger role. Skuta was as well, but he got a decent amount play playing time at OLB and did pretty well last year. I'm sure we'll have a spot or two dedicated to a STs guy, but those guys can turnover a fair bit. I was shocked when they cut Michael Robinson, for instance. Granted that was a different staff.
How would you rate their play for the 9ers last season? We need to do better in this area IMO. Make some plays happen.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How would you rate their play for the 9ers last season? We need to do better in this area IMO. Make some plays happen.

By and large, I think each was very good. Osgood had one game where he made two crucial mistakes and we lost; can't remember which game now, maybe the Panthers? Spillman and Ventrone were both very effective in coverage. Spillman makes boneheaded plays every once in awhile, but he's a great STs player. Hard to ask much more of the coverage units, particularly when you've got Lee back there booming punts. They did have another hiccup in the playoffs this year, but I wouldn't put that on any of these three per se (though I might have to watch the play again).

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By and large, I think each was very good. Osgood had one game where he made two crucial mistakes and we lost; can't remember which game now, maybe the Panthers? Spillman and Ventrone were both very effective in coverage. Spillman makes boneheaded plays every once in awhile, but he's a great STs player. Hard to ask much more of the coverage units, particularly when you've got Lee back there booming punts. They did have another hiccup in the playoffs this year, but I wouldn't put that on any of these three per se (though I might have to watch the play again).
Maybe I'm a bit harsh in my comparison ,but I what I saw was bad plays that cost the 9ers yardage at crucial moments. I would agree that Andy can boot the shit out the ball...he's the best in the NFL.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The KO return unit repeatedly stopped returners inside the 20. They did have one or two pretty crucial breakdowns, particularly the one in Seattle (though I still maintain Dahl was held on that). But these guys were really good most of the year.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't disagree that Osgood is likely to make the team, but a STs player's spot is always more volatile than a guy who contributes on offense or defense, IMO. We've had a slew of STs stars who we have dropped in recent years. I'm not convinced Osgood isn't facing the same sort of threat from a younger player, particularly if there's one who has promise at a position.

That's why I went with Hunter rather than someone like Willis or Staley. There is some remote possibility that something could happen resulting in Hunter not making the roster. It's incredibly unlikely, but it could happen.

Given what Osgood brings to ST, in concert with his cap hit (635ish), I think it would take a series of unexpected events for him to not make the team. It's possible he ends up on the outside looking in, but I think it's extremely unlikely.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think we should be looking at Osgood as a WR anymore than we should be looking at Ventrone as a safety. Drafting a WR will have no impact on Osgood's job security. A spot has opened up on ST with Dixon leaving, which increases the chances of Osgood making the roster.

If we draft one WR, I think we go into the season with Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Rookie and Baldwin as the WRs, with Baldwin likely being inactive on game days. If we draft two WRs I think we go into the season with Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Rookie1 and Rookie2 with Rookie2 inactive on game days and Baldwin cut. I really see our WR situation having zero impact on Osgood.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh hasn't carried more then 5 WR in to a game since being the 49ers Coach. . So Right now We have Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Osgood and either Baldwin or Rookie we draft.

Baldwin looks like he will be the odd man out.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Harbaugh hasn't carried more then 5 WR in to a game since being the 49ers Coach. . So Right now We have Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Osgood and either Baldwin or Rookie we draft.

Baldwin looks like he will be the odd man out.

Are you talking about the 53-man active roster, or the 46-man game day roster? If you're talking about the 46, that may be correct, but it doesn't have any bearing on how many WRs we would keep on the 53-man roster. If you're talking about the 53, you're way off. In 2012, the Niners carried Crabtree, Manningham, Moss, Ginn, Kyle Williams, and AJ Jenkins for most of the season. For that matter, they started 2013 with Boldin, Williams, Patton, Moore, Baldwin, and Chris Harper on the active roster. In week two, they actually had seven WRs on the active roster, adding Osgood to the listed group.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you talking about the 53-man active roster, or the 46-man game day roster? If you're talking about the 46, that may be correct, but it doesn't have any bearing on how many WRs we would keep on the 53-man roster. If you're talking about the 53, you're way off. In 2012, the Niners carried Crabtree, Manningham, Moss, Ginn, Kyle Williams, and AJ Jenkins for most of the season. For that matter, they started 2013 with Boldin, Williams, Patton, Moore, Baldwin, and Chris Harper on the active roster. In week two, they actually had seven WRs on the active roster, adding Osgood to the listed group.

Yes Game day roster.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes Game day roster.

That doesn't affect the roster numbers, though. What difference does it make which WR is de-activated on game days? Baldwin was already on the inactive list most games last year, so being the "odd man out" as you say would be no different.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn't affect the roster numbers, though. What difference does it make which WR is de-activated on game days? Baldwin was already on the inactive list most games last year, so being the "odd man out" as you say would be no different.

Very true but I have a feeling if we draft a WR early I think they might cut Baldwin. Overall it doesn't really matter because he won't see the field any ways.