• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers plan on resigning Alex smith

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a surprise. Harbaugh has been in support of Alex, his QB, for quite sometime. He feels he can get the best of him and his 13-3 record is a good indicator he's getting what he wants.

Is Alex a finsihed product? hopefully not, but maybe that "full offseason" would finally turn Alex into the cold hearted killer we want?

ATM, who's likley to be an upgrade in the offseason? Brees, is going to be a Saint IMO and hopefully so, so who? Shatter the draft history by trading everything for Luck? Not too many options out there IMO right now(that I know of).

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would like to see what smith can do with Harbaugh and a full offseason. Dont mind him being the QB next year. With that being said i still wanna see how he handles the pressure of the playoffs, also this doesnt mean we shouldnt be looking for upgrades through FA/draft.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, if he looks to flop in the playoffs, then we need to move on(Prime is ready to rollout!)

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see what a better oline and a true #1 WR would do as well.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see what a better oline and a true #1 WR would do as well.

yes, but this has been our best OL in years.... something, speaking for myself, wanted to see with Alex at the QB. One of my biggest "defense" for Alex is the poor OLs he had to play. When our OL plays strong, Alex plays well(90%)....

OL still needs some growing to be unbeatable. Cause talent wise, they're top in the league IMO(i said talent wise, not performance). Add in a RG(DeCastro????) and BAM.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah a real RG and a better C would probably do it.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That was the bit I got from it, since our "fans of 30 years" at ESPN used the "I love Orton" comments as a way to say the players didn't like Smith either. Funny how you remember stuff...

But, that still sorta goes with what I was saying, there he was throwing his chips in with Orton, instead of Smith. And with his recent comments about how he said positive stuff about Braylon just to be a good leader, I take his opinion of Smith with a grain of salt... I still feel like he's just saying it, because he thinks he has to support his teammates.. instead of saying it because he believes it.

Don't forget, Smith was a FA when Davis said that, wasn't officially his teammate anymore

There is nothing wrong with him doing that IMO. It makes him a good teammate.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it Singletary? I don't trust my memory on that, so long ago, and I just saw it in passing... I just remembered it as him trashing Smith, and the clowns on ESPN using that to troll us about "alice"

... and you trust those clowns to tell you what it was about? Sorry, but EVERYTHING was about Alex Smith to them and ALL of it was negative. They even turned his lack of throwing Nolan under the bus before Nolan did that to Smith as a negative on Smith. Even if somebody doesn't like Smith, come on!

I think I remember the video you are referencing. I don't think he slammed Smith, I think he said some nice words about Kyle Orton. Everyone knew to get that QB would mean adios to Alex. I don't think he referenced Smith directly at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what I'm getting at, I think, I'm just going the round-a-bout way. I think Vernon says stuff that he feels is the "company policy" and "positive spin" because he thinks that makes him a team leader.

I feel like he only said, "Alex can only get better...." because that is "team policy", "positive reinforcement"... just toting the company line. Or, the way I said it before, blowing smoke up our butts.

I think at the time he was leading the league in TE touchdowns, a lot of that had to do with Smith preferring to pass to him (big guy, chemistry), maybe at that time it wasn't company policy but Davis policy? We knew Troy didn't get it to him so later that was compacted. Having said that, I don't want to say he's purely selfish and ingenuine. It's just a multitude of factors. The truth is in the middle.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, I personally would not be so fast to re-sign Smith.

We should be able to tell after this post-season, if Smith is what we need or do we need an upgrade at QB.

Let's see how Alex Smith does in the playoffs. He's got some pretty good playoff company:

Rodgers, Brees, Eli, Stafford, Ryan.

Can he compete with those QBs year in and year out in the playoffs? (and these are just the NFC QBs)

granted the play-offs are another notch up, but we're in a tough spot at QB. we should re-sign Alex based on 16 games.

we know Alex's ceiling isn't high, but he's already the best stop gap QB we'll find. its tough cause we'll need to give him more than a "stop gap" contract. but play hard ball or be too quick for a change...........and we could easily go back to a 6-10 team.

regardless of his contract terms, soon as Harbaugh is able to develop a better QB, he'll start instead. so lets be satisfied we have a pretty good 'stop gap' able to win 10+ games.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Looks like I'm late to the party. Saw it on ESPN this at the gym on ESPN last night & almost barfed up my protein bar. Tell him he's coming back BEFORE the playoffs??? Bleh. I want him playing like he might NEVER be back...

Does this mean there's no way the Niners fulfill my NFL wet dream of trading for Luck & reuniting Harbs & him?

???:(???

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Looks like I'm late to the party. Saw it on ESPN this at the gym on ESPN last night & almost barfed up my protein bar. Tell him he's coming back BEFORE the playoffs??? Bleh. I want him playing like he might NEVER be back...

Does this mean there's no way the Niners fulfill my NFL wet dream of trading for Luck & reuniting Harbs & him?

Your only shot is at that dream is if the Manning is healthy and they decide to go win now mode and take the kings ransom of draft picks and worry about QB later.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm curious deep, in another thread you mentioned that Harbaugh said Smith was the future. Is this what you referring to? I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything about Smith being the future. I saw harbaugh say he wants him back.

There's a difference between the two.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't get this notion of him not trying his hardest if he knows that he's wanted back. He knows he has no deal if he quits. At the worst, what kind of deal he would get would be based in part upon playoff performance. He didn't pressure to sign when he was hot like Fitzpatrick. Plus, Harbaugh didn't say back as starter (though I would assume he'd start barring implosion or injury). I wouldn't sign him before the playoffs are over, but I wouldn't worry about him not being incentivized. Edwards and Rogers, maybe, but that's just going based upon other's comments I read preseason (I know we're not resigning Edwards, just used as an illustration).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm curious deep, in another thread you mentioned that Harbaugh said Smith was the future. Is this what you referring to? I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything about Smith being the future. I saw harbaugh say he wants him back.

There's a difference between the two.

sorry, now can't find the article.

i recall..........someone asked Harbaugh if Alex Smith was the future? he may not have said "Alex Smith is the future", he may have said something like "yes, he is".

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every qb is the future until they find someone else

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Niner I would assume this means your dreams of trading the whole draft, P Willie , Justin Smith, and the cheerleading squad will be dead.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with a better oline and a #1 WR, will that make Smith hit wide open targets down field? Could his horrible accuracy on the deep ball improve with a full off season under JH? I guess only time will tell but until then i hope they only sign him to another one year deal

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't get this notion of him not trying his hardest if he knows that he's wanted back.

You don't? I'm not saying he's going to quit if he knows the Niners want him back; I just want him playing like he thinks he might lose his job. It's added motivation, and it's real.

It wouldn't mean anything to a guy like Brees or Rodgers, but it would to Alex.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't? I'm not saying he's going to quit if he knows the Niners want him back; I just want him playing like he thinks he might lose his job. It's added motivation, and it's real.

It wouldn't mean anything to a guy like Brees or Rodgers, but it would to Alex.

Oh, I'd still wait until after the playoffs to sign him, but I wouldn't worry about his effort. And, like you, I probably wouldn't have told him or the media like Harbaugh did, but as a fan, I wouldn't worry about it. If there's anything I don't doubt about Alex is that he takes this seriously and tries hard. It may not always correlate to good play and in fact might cause him to think too much, which he then performs worse, or at best, the same, but I don't think he is lulled into self-content. But it is a good rule of thumb to leave the carrot out there along with the stick behind him.