• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers plan on resigning Alex smith

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers plan to bring back QB Alex Smith for 2012 - Yahoo! News

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — Coach Jim Harbaugh has told 49ers quarterback Alex Smith the team plans to re-sign him beyond this season.

Smith, the 2005 No. 1 overall draft pick out of Utah, received a $4.9 million, one-year contract as a free agent last July after the lockout — when many, including Smith himself, figured he'd be headed elsewhere following six up-and-down seasons. He has thrived under Harbaugh, a former NFL quarterback who recently endorsed Smith as the team's answer behind center moving forward.

"I've told Alex that," Harbaugh said Monday. "I wouldn't tell you (the media) something I wouldn't tell Alex.

"I told Alex, 'Hey, we're going to want you to come back here next year.' He's focused on the season, and that's where his mindset wants to be. And I totally respect that, and we'll talk about it and address it once the season is over. That's the way I understand it right now."

The 27-year-old Smith has thrown for 3,150 yards and 17 touchdowns with only five interceptions for the NFC West champion Niners (13-3), who earned the No. 2 playoff seed in the NFC and a first-round bye this week.

Smith is a big reason San Francisco finished with 10 total turnovers, which equaled the 2010 Patriots for fewest in NFL history since 1941.

Smith — booed from every direction during recent seasons at Candlestick Park — has said much of this season's success comes from him not trying to do too much in Harbaugh's West Coast offense.

He has shown the poise under pressure and decision making Harbaugh believed Smith still had in him when Harbaugh took over last January. Smith isn't ready to reflect on his resurgent 2011 season or the franchise's turnaround after going eight years without a playoff berth or winning record.

"You know, it's hard when you're still in the thick of it. It's probably a better question to ask me after the end of the season when everything is wrapped up," he said. "Right now there's still a lot on the line. Not quite time for me to reflect on anything. We've done some good things, putting ourselves in a good situation."

Smith, who has played for a different offensive coordinator in each of his seven NFL seasons, has earned the confidence of his teammates. He went 21 for 31 for 219 yards in Sunday's regular-season finale, a 34-27 win at St. Louis.

"I firmly believe that Alex Smith can do nothing but just keep getting better," said tight end Vernon Davis, who had eight catches for 118 yards against the Rams.

"At this point ... all he can do is get better. If he's willing and that's what he wants. He wants to be successful and learn as much as he possibly can about this game and try to find ways to help this team get better down the road. I'm all for it. I'm a big supporter."

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers plan to bring back QB Alex Smith for 2012 - Yahoo! News

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — Coach Jim Harbaugh has told 49ers quarterback Alex Smith the team plans to re-sign him beyond this season.

Smith, the 2005 No. 1 overall draft pick out of Utah, received a $4.9 million, one-year contract as a free agent last July after the lockout — when many, including Smith himself, figured he'd be headed elsewhere following six up-and-down seasons. He has thrived under Harbaugh, a former NFL quarterback who recently endorsed Smith as the team's answer behind center moving forward.

"I've told Alex that," Harbaugh said Monday. "I wouldn't tell you (the media) something I wouldn't tell Alex.

"I told Alex, 'Hey, we're going to want you to come back here next year.' He's focused on the season, and that's where his mindset wants to be. And I totally respect that, and we'll talk about it and address it once the season is over. That's the way I understand it right now."

The 27-year-old Smith has thrown for 3,150 yards and 17 touchdowns with only five interceptions for the NFC West champion Niners (13-3), who earned the No. 2 playoff seed in the NFC and a first-round bye this week.

Smith is a big reason San Francisco finished with 10 total turnovers, which equaled the 2010 Patriots for fewest in NFL history since 1941.

Smith — booed from every direction during recent seasons at Candlestick Park — has said much of this season's success comes from him not trying to do too much in Harbaugh's West Coast offense.

He has shown the poise under pressure and decision making Harbaugh believed Smith still had in him when Harbaugh took over last January. Smith isn't ready to reflect on his resurgent 2011 season or the franchise's turnaround after going eight years without a playoff berth or winning record.

"You know, it's hard when you're still in the thick of it. It's probably a better question to ask me after the end of the season when everything is wrapped up," he said. "Right now there's still a lot on the line. Not quite time for me to reflect on anything. We've done some good things, putting ourselves in a good situation."

Smith, who has played for a different offensive coordinator in each of his seven NFL seasons, has earned the confidence of his teammates. He went 21 for 31 for 219 yards in Sunday's regular-season finale, a 34-27 win at St. Louis.

"I firmly believe that Alex Smith can do nothing but just keep getting better," said tight end Vernon Davis, who had eight catches for 118 yards against the Rams.

"At this point ... all he can do is get better. If he's willing and that's what he wants. He wants to be successful and learn as much as he possibly can about this game and try to find ways to help this team get better down the road. I'm all for it. I'm a big supporter."

kudo's to Alex Smith for not only taking it up a notch, but kept it pretty consistent. prior to this season, felt his consistency would be more important. every QB has a bad game and he had one, but he was pretty consistent all season.

was there last year for the Eagles game, never heard it so loud ("we want Carr") even when we were winning. my how far he's come?

will we give him rope for the play-offs and if so, how much? its his first time and i'd expect he'd be a little nervous? Alex is only human so hopefully he "settles down" quickly.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be a dick, but does anyone remember that weird video where Davis appeared to have been drinking outside of some nightclub in L.A. where he kind of slammed Alex Smith? I saw it on the ESPN boards, and can't find it with a google search to prove that I'm not making it up...

When I remember that awkward video, and toss that in with his recent comments of "just trying to be a good leader" with other 49ers players... I find it hard to take anything he says seriously. I feel like he's just blowing smoke up our asses with Alex Smith.

Anyway, sorry for jacking the thread... just something I thought about when I read Vernon's comments at the end of that article. I feel like he says stuff, just to be positive and supportive, instead of saying things because he actually believes it.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not to be a dick, but does anyone remember that weird video where Davis appeared to have been drinking outside of some nightclub in L.A. where he kind of slammed Alex Smith? I saw it on the ESPN boards, and can't find it with a google search to prove that I'm not making it up...

When I remember that awkward video, and toss that in with his recent comments of "just trying to be a good leader" with other 49ers players... I find it hard to take anything he says seriously. I feel like he's just blowing smoke up our asses with Alex Smith.

Anyway, sorry for jacking the thread... just something I thought about when I read Vernon's comments at the end of that article. I feel like he says stuff, just to be positive and supportive, instead of saying things because he actually believes it.

The video your describing reminds me of one I saw with Davis walking down a sidewalk, but I recall Davis was talking about Singletary not Smith?? That's all I got...

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The video your describing reminds me of one I saw with Davis walking down a sidewalk, but I recall Davis was talking about Singletary not Smith?? That's all I got...

Was it Singletary? I don't trust my memory on that, so long ago, and I just saw it in passing... I just remembered it as him trashing Smith, and the clowns on ESPN using that to troll us about "alice"

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

same i thought. They asked him if he missed Sing and he said no.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the one...I had forgot about the Orton comment...

That was the bit I got from it, since our "fans of 30 years" at ESPN used the "I love Orton" comments as a way to say the players didn't like Smith either. Funny how you remember stuff...

But, that still sorta goes with what I was saying, there he was throwing his chips in with Orton, instead of Smith. And with his recent comments about how he said positive stuff about Braylon just to be a good leader, I take his opinion of Smith with a grain of salt... I still feel like he's just saying it, because he thinks he has to support his teammates.. instead of saying it because he believes it.

Don't forget, Smith was a FA when Davis said that, wasn't officially his teammate anymore

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

vernon was the one that got smith back into the game against the eagles.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That was the bit I got from it, since our "fans of 30 years" at ESPN used the "I love Orton" comments as a way to say the players didn't like Smith either. Funny how you remember stuff...

But, that still sorta goes with what I was saying, there he was throwing his chips in with Orton, instead of Smith. And with his recent comments about how he said positive stuff about Braylon just to be a good leader, I take his opinion of Smith with a grain of salt... I still feel like he's just saying it, because he thinks he has to support his teammates.. instead of saying it because he believes it.

Don't forget, Smith was a FA when Davis said that, wasn't officially his teammate anymore

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Vernon as a leader, and his comments strike me as being more policy than position.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Vernon as a leader, and his comments strike me as being more policy than position.

That is what I'm getting at, I think, I'm just going the round-a-bout way. I think Vernon says stuff that he feels is the "company policy" and "positive spin" because he thinks that makes him a team leader.

I feel like he only said, "Alex can only get better...." because that is "team policy", "positive reinforcement"... just toting the company line. Or, the way I said it before, blowing smoke up our butts.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That is what I'm getting at, I think, I'm just going the round-a-bout way. I think Vernon says stuff that he feels is the "company policy" and "positive spin" because he thinks that makes him a team leader.

I feel like he only said, "Alex can only get better...." because that is "team policy", "positive reinforcement"... just toting the company line. Or, the way I said it before, blowing smoke up our butts.

Ha ha, exactly!

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you think about it, Alex Smith has really turned the fans around.

Can you think of another QB that got booed so badly the previous year, and the next year the QB put it together and is getting praise by the fans?

Last year on every incomplete pass, people were calling to yank him.

Talk about perserverance.

Can't think of another QB off the top of my head who stuck through that.
I can think of some that played better but not on the same team.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, I personally would not be so fast to re-sign Smith.

We should be able to tell after this post-season, if Smith is what we need or do we need an upgrade at QB.

Let's see how Alex Smith does in the playoffs. He's got some pretty good playoff company:

Rodgers, Brees, Eli, Stafford, Ryan.

Can he compete with those QBs year in and year out in the playoffs? (and these are just the NFC QBs)

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well no surprise that he wants to resign and I'm sure he really wants to come back and I think he's just waiting to see how the playoffs goes before getting down to business. I mean if we win a Super Bowl this year I'm sure that adds a little extra to his contract demands.

I'm in favor of resigning him because I do think he'll be even better next season. We like to stack him up against Rodgers, Brees, Brady, and etc but everyone fails to mention that they've been in their respective offensive systems for years and this is Smith's really first exposure to the WCO since his rookie year. So while Smith will very likely never been on those guys levels it's reasonable to conclude that he should be better with a full offseason and a better comfort level with the offense.

I believe we'll have to upgrade Smith eventually but we could do a lot worse than him right now so I'm fine with him starting till CK or someone else emerges to beat him.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While they are contemplating resigning Smith... RESIGN ROGERS... public service announcement.