• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers OTAs / Training Camp

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dorsey out for season. Torn bicept.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ugh. Awful. Better hope Dial is ready for the big-time, and that Ian Williams can get back.

Defense starting to have some concerns....

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dial is going to dominate

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard the news about Dorsey. Does this mean Dial will most likely be the starting NT?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard the news about Dorsey. Does this mean Dial will most likely be the starting NT?

From what I've read, Dial and Tank have both looked great at practice. If this continues than Dial is going to have a break through season.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin officially done. Seemed like he just didn't have the commitment to get better- all the physical tools were there. Now the AJ Jenkins pick is officially a major bust.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Grant Cohn's five takeaways after the first week:

SANTA CLARA – Eight training camp practices down, three to go before the 49ers play preseason game No. 1 and you see this for yourself. Until then, here are my top five takeaways from camp.

1. Colin Kaepernick is improving. It’s his fourth season in this offense and he has it down cold – that’s the first thing you notice. He shouts a million things between plays during the two-minute drill, just takes over, and he seems to know where his receivers will be before they get there. He anticipates openings and throws passes before receivers make their breaks. That’s new. He used to stare down one receiver and then scramble if the receiver wasn’t open. Not so much anymore. You can see Kaepernick cycle through his options, look at one receiver and then another and then another. One, two, three. Boom, boom, boom. That’s new. He completes passes to his second or third read three or four times as often as he scrambles. That’s new. By my count, Kaepernick is completing 68 percent of his passes in team drills. He completed 58 percent of his passes last season.

2. The coaches finally are getting the running backs involved in the passing game. Last Saturday I asked Greg Roman if that was a priority this season. He said, “I for one love throwing to the backs because a lot of the times people forget about them.” I almost choked. You’re the one who forgets about them, Greg. Last season, 49ers running backs were targeted on 17.9 percent of the 49ers’ pass plays, one of the lowest percentages in the league. Part of the reason Kaepernick completed just 58 percent of his passes is he rarely had a check-down option to throw to – Roman hardly ever put one in the pass pattern. Roman made the running backs block most of the time on pass plays. Kaepernick would play-fake, look deep, see no one open and then run for his life because there was no running back in the flat. That’s changing. There’s a running back in the flat on almost every pass play in camp.

3. Stevie Johnson is blowing it. When the 49ers traded a fourth round pick to the Bills for Johnson during the offseason, it seemed he was a lock to be the 49ers’ No. 3 receiver. Only a dreadful training camp performance could jeopardize that. Guess what. He’s been dreadful so far. Quarterbacks have thrown Johnson’s way 28 times in team drills. Johnson has caught 13 passes and dropped four. Dreadful. If he doesn’t start playing better, he will lose the No. 3 receiver job to second-year receiver Quinton Patton, who’s been lights-out in camp. He’s been targeted 35 times and has made 28 catches, including three touchdown catches. And when Michael Crabtree pulled his hamstring this week, Patton replaced him in the starting lineup, not Johnson.

4. Jimmie Ward is not the 49ers’ best young cornerback. Not yet, anyway. The 49ers drafted Ward in the first round a few months ago with the hope that he can be the starting nickel back. He played very well the first few days of camp before the players put on the pads and practices became physical. Then Ward got pushed around a bit. Ward frequently faced Anquan Boldin in the slot last week and Boldin wore him out, caught everything thrown his way when Ward was on him. Darryl Morris, an undrafted free agent last season, is the one nickel back who gives Boldin problems. Morris batted away two passes intended for Boldin this week. Boldin became so frustrated, he punched Morris in the facemask during Friday’s practice, and Jim Harbaugh kicked Boldin off the field. Morris isn’t the only young cornerback who has outplayed Ward. Dontae Johnson has, too. The 49ers drafted him in the fourth round this year. He’s huge, just an inch shorter than Richard Sherman. Quarterbacks have tested Johnson’s coverage 16 times during team drills. He has broken up five passes and intercepted one.

5. Key players keep getting injured. Every day it seems someone goes down. Twenty-one players currently are rehabbing injuries instead of practicing: Michael Crabtree, Brandon Lloyd, Jon Baldwin, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Marcus Lattimore, Trey Millard, Anthony Davis, Marcus Martin, Brandon Thomas, Garrett Celek, Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Kaleb Ramsey, NaVorro Bowman, Nick Moody, Aaron Lynch, Keith Reaser and Tramaine Brock. Who’s next?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Encouraging to read that Kap has been going through progressions, anticipating routes, and completing a high percentage of passes. Cohn isn't much of a Kap fan, so if he's praising Colin, he must be looking pretty good. I hadn't necessarily gotten that impression from the daily reports, so it's nice to read that overall he's looked good.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fangio telling it like it is.

How has Carradine looked?

“He’s getting better. He looks kind of like I thought he would. He’s healthy, which is a good thing. He was never healthy last year and now he’s getting a chance to learn and show what he can do mentally. He’s got a ways to go there yet. Like I’ve said, sitting in those meetings doesn’t mean you’ve learned it and he’s living proof of that. So, he’s got to do better from an assignment standpoint for us to feel comfortable to play him. Right now he’s missing too many things mentally.”

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I know it's just camp, but tackling during a non-tackling drill? He's already shown a lack of judgement off the field. It better not translate into him making boneheaded plays this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Encouraging to read that Kap has been going through progressions, anticipating routes, and completing a high percentage of passes. Cohn isn't much of a Kap fan, so if he's praising Colin, he must be looking pretty good. I hadn't necessarily gotten that impression from the daily reports, so it's nice to read that overall he's looked good.

Nice? To me, its fantastic. If he has really made that transition and can take it to real games, wow, look out.

Thanks for posting that article, very encouraging overall, other than the injury situation. Nice to see Quinton looking good too, I think he adds some quickness we can use.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
discouraging about Stevie's performance

an LOL @ Ward's performance....

hooray for Dontae, many here seemed to enjoyed that pick when announced.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for sharing that comprehensive update. The part aboyut Kaepernick sounds encouraging and I hope it carries into the regular season. Glad to see the RBs getting involved in the passing game. Now, if we can stop piling up the injuries.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Very encouraging to hear about Kaepernick as I was always of the belief that once he got down going through progressions and reading defenses everything else would fall into place. Once he becomes confident at what he sees out there I believe he'll be very very good passing the ball. Even more encouraging is it's from Grant Cohn who's always Debbie Downer when it comes to things.

Also very encouraging to read about Roman and the offense. I've been very critical of our pass play design and it's good to know the staff is able to look back and see what can be done better rather than stubbornly keep the same thing in place and blame it on execution.

I don't completely follow his logic on Ward. Expecting him to go toe to toe physically against Boldin arguably the most physical WR in the league isn't playing to his strengths. Most DBs in the league are going to get outmuscled by Boldin 1 on 1 so I don't really think of that as a strike against him.

What I expect Ward to do is hawk the ball and keep up with the likes of Harvin, Cobb, Austin, Welker, etc not go out there and try to out physical guys. That's what Cully is for to take on the bigger physical WR. That's not to say I don't believe Ward couldn't bulk up a bit and learn to become more physical but it's just not something that will be a forte of his.