• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers OTAs / Training Camp

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If you have an elite QB the window stays open as long as said QB performs and you draft well.

So I think a Super Bowl window is a real thing just overrated and a overused term. I mean right now the Broncos for example are in a Super Bowl window and they are pouring everything they can into maximizing it. Once Manning is gone that window is going to slam shut and they'll have to rebuild and retool the roster to open it again.

It's just with the way the NFL is structured it doesn't take long to reopen that window if you make the right moves.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have an elite QB the window stays open as long as said QB performs and you draft well.

So I think a Super Bowl window is a real thing just overrated and a overused term. I mean right now the Broncos for example are in a Super Bowl window and they are pouring everything they can into maximizing it. Once Manning is gone that window is going to slam shut and they'll have to rebuild and retool the roster to open it again.

It's just with the way the NFL is structured it doesn't take long to reopen that window if you make the right moves.

Totally agree. It isn't like the old days of the 1970s and the 1980s where you can draft a young core group of players and ride them for several years. With the salary cap and free agency there is always going to be roster turnover and the key is to continue to draft well and make good use of free agency while managing the cap.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't? You think any team can just become a SB contender in one offseason regardless of their salary cap, age, contract status of players and so on? It usually takes at least 3 "rebuilding" years to even have a realistic shot of winning the big one. They don't come out & admit they're rebuilding, but that doesn't mean rebuilding isn't exactly what they're doing.

Isn't Dallas a "class organization?" They have 5 SB titles. They have a Billion-dollar stadium and the largest fan base in football. They're not winning the Super Bowl this year. They would be lucky to go 8-8. And if they went out & tried to load up for this season they would be robbing themselves of potential, future title runs (although those runs probably won't happen anyway with Jerry at the helm).

I know what you're saying about complacency. That's a real risk, and some teams seem like they've given up before the season even starts. But even if you have great coaching & management to prevent that, you also have to have the right players; and they have to be peaking at the right time (and you have to be lucky). If any of those factors are lacking you're not going to win a Super Bowl. Luckily, the 49ers are not in one of those years; but they have been in the past.

What I'm saying is we've got the team built. We have the deepest roster in the league. Our attitude should be keep the window open forever. Why believe it ever has to close?

And no, Dallas is not a class organization. Jerry Jones is an idiot. They are a team with history but he's wrecked their organization with his arrogance.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I'm saying is we've got the team built. We have the deepest roster in the league. Our attitude should be keep the window open forever. Why believe it ever has to close?

And no, Dallas is not a class organization. Jerry Jones is an idiot. They are a team with history but he's wrecked their organization with his arrogance.

If the the players from the last two drafts pan out, I think the team is going to be competitive barring injuries

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

An elite qb for sure. Will Kap be that? The 'window' is the SB as others have stated. The 9ers have a few big players at the end of contracts or just moving on. ( Crabtree,Boldin,Gore,J Smith to name a few) How will the younger ones perform in real games? I hope this SB window doesn't close soon but it will in time as all eventually do.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yeah ok, a little vague in what it means, plus a little overused.

good example on Denver, this is part of the window concept......when you believe you have a real chance of winning it, you push the cap to the hilt. but this is also why a window closes, the cap eventually gets you.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that we can bank on Hyde, Tank,Ward, Reid and others to be what they hope they can be to keep this SB window open.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

in theory this is fine, for the eternal optimist this thinking is fine. but it is so hard to win the SB, when you finally got a good team, you should push it while your core players are in their PRIME.

our window is still open but it might be very different in two years? core players such as Boldin, Gore, Willis, Vernon, Brooks, Justin, RayMac, could be gone or on the downswing? a few good players will seek big contracts (Boone, Iupati, Crabtree) elsewhere. we like to think recent draft classes will replace these guys, but we don't know yet? these are pretty big shoes to fill.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
BWilliamsonESPN
#49ers Harbaugh said Crabtree and Lloyd might both miss a week or two with minor injuries

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in theory this is fine, for the eternal optimist this thinking is fine. but it is so hard to win the SB, when you finally got a good team, you should push it while your core players are in their PRIME.

our window is still open but it might be very different in two years? core players such as Boldin, Gore, Willis, Vernon, Brooks, Justin, RayMac, could be gone or on the downswing? a few good players will seek big contracts (Boone, Iupati, Crabtree) elsewhere. we like to think recent draft classes will replace these guys, but we don't know yet? these are pretty big shoes to fill.

Is not about eternal optimism. It's about building an organization and succession planning. Tank, Dial, Lemonier, Lynch. The next wave. Hyde, Hunter, Patton, Culliver, Brock. And so on....

I'm not willing to accept the model has to be violently cyclical. There will be special cause variation (injuries) that kills a year but periods of rebuilding for years means an organization has failed. It's a high standard, but too often people settle for good enough.

I agree that there may be optimum years but saying there are only certain years we have a chance is lame. Why did we even watch the NFC championship vs the Giants? We didn't go into that year expecting to win a SB but there we were a play or two way from the big game.

If you don't believe you will win, I guarantee you'll fulfill your expectations every time.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2