• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers OTAs / Training Camp

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
not surprising CB is our weakest link, not even sure our starters are "proven" enough at their spots? but we couldn't force a FA nor high draft pick, so fine how it panned out.

we'll just have to apply more pressure. :-)

Certainly we COULD have. Time will tell if that was the right call or not.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
As of now, he's an aging CB with a big contract so no thanks.

Every CB is "aging." He's 29. That's 4 years younger than Carlos Rogers. And he signed for 1 year. A 1-year contract would not have been a big contract. 12 million is a lot per season, but considering Rogers-Cromartie (for whom I was clamouring last offseason very loudly) signed for 40 million / 14 guaranteed & isn't as good as Revis, 12 million is nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every CB is "aging." He's 29. That's 4 years younger than Carlos Rogers. And he signed for 1 year. A 1-year contract would not have been a big contract. 12 million is a lot per season, but considering Rogers-Cromartie (for whom I was clamouring last offseason very loudly) signed for 40 million / 14 guaranteed & isn't as good as Revis, 12 million is nothing.

Carlos Rogers and Revis are different people and this age differently, I absolutely hate when people try to make those types of comparison. Not only that but Rogers fell of in an absolute hurry. I'm just not interested in giving a CB not named Richard Sherman or Joe Haden $12 in a season. Especially a 29 year old CB who is attempting to return to form after a very serious injury.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not surprising CB is our weakest link, not even sure our starters are "proven" enough at their spots? but we couldn't force a FA nor high draft pick, so fine how it panned out.

we'll just have to apply more pressure. :-)

I'm not sure I understand this post in response to the article; I agree that CB is a major question mark and I would have liked to go after a big time CB in the draft. That being said, the article said both starters were out on this day and it only mention the most experience CB on the team (Cox) as being heavily picked on, it also mentioned Cook as getting a pick and Acker as being solid too.

Our scheme seems to favor low priced CBs with solid skills, it relies heavily on pressure as a 3-4 scheme should. I think we are a more talented yet less experience CB group and I'm a bit interested to see how they do when the dogs are turned lose.

Let's also forget that camp just started and our secondary lost it's leader in Whitner.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Carlos Rogers and Revis are different people and this age differently, I absolutely hate when people try to make those types of comparison. Not only that but Rogers fell of in an absolute hurry. I'm just not interested in giving a CB not named Richard Sherman or Joe Haden $12 in a season. Especially a 29 year old CB who is attempting to return to form after a very serious injury.

He's not "attempting" a return; he already returned from said injury a year ago.

And why do you hate when people compare ages? NFL players' play generally peaks & reduced at similar rates at the same position. You're trying to make 29 sound old for a CB. 29 is not old for any position.

Nobody claimed he was at his 2009 peak, but if he were he wouldn't have signed for 1 year & 12 million. Plus, the Niners could give him the franchise tag if he played extremely well. PLUS, he was cut, so it wouldn't have went against the comp' pick formula. It was a great signing by the Pats, and it's further proof that Baalke has a little Andy Reid in him relying on 4th-round rookies and former backups during a Super Bowl run.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sure I understand this post in response to the article; I agree that CB is a major question mark and I would have liked to go after a big time CB in the draft. That being said, the article said both starters were out on this day and it only mention the most experience CB on the team (Cox) as being heavily picked on, it also mentioned Cook as getting a pick and Acker as being solid too.

Our scheme seems to favor low priced CBs with solid skills, it relies heavily on pressure as a 3-4 scheme should. I think we are a more talented yet less experience CB group and I'm a bit interested to see how they do when the dogs are turned lose.

Let's also forget that camp just started and our secondary lost it's leader in Whitner.

yes, the top back-ups were picked on so the CB group took a hit.

extending the CB group further, we don't even know our starters are solid?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brandon Lloyd - WR - 49ers

The Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows said WR Brandon Lloyd has been the 49ers' "most consistently productive receiver" this offseason.

Colin Kaepernick agrees, saying Lloyd has almost always been "open by a step or two." Lloyd does not appear to have much rust after sitting out an entire season, but already 33 and with little to no value on special teams, Lloyd's roster spot is still anything but secure. Continued stellar practice play like this will go a long way to solidifying his spot on the 49ers' roster.
Source: Sacramento Bee

Jul 29 - 8:41 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Brandon Lloyd - WR - 49ers

The Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows said WR Brandon Lloyd has been the 49ers' "most consistently productive receiver" this offseason.

Colin Kaepernick agrees, saying Lloyd has almost always been "open by a step or two." Lloyd does not appear to have much rust after sitting out an entire season, but already 33 and with little to no value on special teams, Lloyd's roster spot is still anything but secure. Continued stellar practice play like this will go a long way to solidifying his spot on the 49ers' roster.
Source: Sacramento Bee

Jul 29 - 8:41 PM

Someone decide his career is waning & turn to some of that Seattle Sauce? :noidea:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If I were Harbaugh/Roman, I wouldn't even play him at all during the pre season games. But I'd continue to work him like crazy during practices. He's guaranteed to start and you know he's a certified #1 receiver. I'd use the scrimmages to evaluate Johnson/Lloyd/Ellington/Patton. They need to really be careful with Crabs:

Michael Crabtree - WR - 49ers

Colin Kaepernick believes Michael Crabtree is a "step or two quicker now" than he was last season as he recovered from his torn Achilles' tendon.

"He has a burst out of his routes," Kaepernick said. "He has burst when he catches the ball. (He) looks really good out there." We don't normally place much stock in "so-and-so looks much quicker this summer" reports, but it's actually believable in Crabtree's case, as he's now more than a year removed from the injury that cost him 11 games in 2013. Crabtree is primed for a big bounce-back campaign as he plays in a contract year.
Related: Colin Kaepernick
Source: CSN Bay Area

Jul 29 - 6:01 PM

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap is looking awesome. WRs have looked great. Secondary has look good with starters Brock and Cully. Cant wait for the season.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not "attempting" a return; he already returned from said injury a year ago.

And why do you hate when people compare ages? NFL players' play generally peaks & reduced at similar rates at the same position. You're trying to make 29 sound old for a CB. 29 is not old for any position.

Nobody claimed he was at his 2009 peak, but if he were he wouldn't have signed for 1 year & 12 million. Plus, the Niners could give him the franchise tag if he played extremely well. PLUS, he was cut, so it wouldn't have went against the comp' pick formula. It was a great signing by the Pats, and it's further proof that Baalke has a little Andy Reid in him relying on 4th-round rookies and former backups during a Super Bowl run.

I didn't say attempting to return from injury I said attempting to return to form which he hasn't come close to yet.

I hate when people compare one player to another when trying to determine how the second player will age and/or return from injury because no two people are the same. 29 is getting up there, physically your body should begin to decline as you are leaving what in most cases is your physical prime (early to mid 20's). I'm just not interested in playing $12 million to a guy who hasn't shown to be his former self after injury and is likely nearing a decline.

He isn't at is 2009 level which is why I said originally that he's declining as he's not as good as he was in his physical prime. Baalke doesn't seem to value high profile CB's as he feels (and he's been correct this far) that the defensive scheme can be successful with serviceable to solid CB's. I would have liked to see them draft someone. I love the formula we have in place with building through the draft.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, the top back-ups were picked on so the CB group took a hit.

extending the CB group further, we don't even know our starters are solid?

We do know that Brock is very solid as he was our best CB towards the end of last season. We don't however know what we have in Culliver as he struggled heavily when he was last on the field. I'm really curious to see what he, Cook and Morris have.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kap is looking awesome. WRs have looked great. Secondary has look good with starters Brock and Cully. Cant wait for the season.

it'll come down to improvements in the red zone.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were Harbaugh/Roman, I wouldn't even play him at all during the pre season games. But I'd continue to work him like crazy during practices. He's guaranteed to start and you know he's a certified #1 receiver. I'd use the scrimmages to evaluate Johnson/Lloyd/Ellington/Patton. They need to really be careful with Crabs:

Michael Crabtree - WR - 49ers

Colin Kaepernick believes Michael Crabtree is a "step or two quicker now" than he was last season as he recovered from his torn Achilles' tendon.

"He has a burst out of his routes," Kaepernick said. "He has burst when he catches the ball. (He) looks really good out there." We don't normally place much stock in "so-and-so looks much quicker this summer" reports, but it's actually believable in Crabtree's case, as he's now more than a year removed from the injury that cost him 11 games in 2013. Crabtree is primed for a big bounce-back campaign as he plays in a contract year.
Related: Colin Kaepernick
Source: CSN Bay Area

Jul 29 - 6:01 PM

I can see it now, "Kap keeps throwing to his #1 option, not going to his other reads or options"

Fact is, not everyone can get the same amount of looks. If Crabtree is open or has a step on a guy he is getting the ball. I think it is up to Roman and the play calling to get others involved and use Crabtree and Boldin as more decoys in some plays to get Davis, Patton, Johnson, and Lloyd open

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying it for a while but barring major injuries, our O will be better and our D will be worse this year. D begins to gel in second half of the season and we head into the playoffs hitting on all cylinders.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't expecting to see good reports on Lloyd. Does he make this roster?

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying it for a while but barring major injuries, our O will be better and our D will be worse this year. D begins to gel in second half of the season and we head into the playoffs hitting on all cylinders.

I just hope Roman expands the playbook this season. We have a lot of weapons to use

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what do you think the 49ers are going to do with the extra $10,000,000 they got on their books this year now that they restructured Brooks? Crabby gonna get his contract?

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see it now, "Kap keeps throwing to his #1 option, not going to his other reads or options"

Fact is, not everyone can get the same amount of looks. If Crabtree is open or has a step on a guy he is getting the ball. I think it is up to Roman and the play calling to get others involved and use Crabtree and Boldin as more decoys in some plays to get Davis, Patton, Johnson, and Lloyd open

We've been seeing it.