• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers have reportedly signed secondary coach Ed Donatell to a new contract

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/3/3/5466388/ed-donatell-contract-49ers-secondary-coach-2014he

49ers have reportedly signed secondary coach Ed Donatell to a new contract. We've got the latest details.

ESPN's Bill Williamson is reporting the San Francisco 49ers have agreed to terms on a 2-year contract with secondary coach Ed Donatell. His contract expired after this past season. Although he has been a popular interview request for defensive coordinator jobs, the well ended up relatively dry this year once the 49ers finished their playoff run. He now is signed through the 2015 season.

As Williamson pointed out in his report, the 49ers likely made it worth Donatell's while to stick around for more than just a one-year deal. The 49ers have one of the highest paid coaching staffs in the league, and will grow even further if they get an extension worked out with Jim Harbaugh.

The New Orleans Saints and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are among the teams rumored to have requested interviews of Donatell in previous seasons. Both teams were blocked because Donatell was under contract. Although it is probably somewhat frustrating to miss out on these opportunities, Donatell has stated he understands the situation, and the realities of being under contract.

What I do enjoy about this is that it provides a slight crack in the notion that Harbaugh and company can not get along. It's only one coach, and as they say "money talks", but Donatell provides us with an important lesson. On the one hand, it is possible the Harbaugh issues are overblown. On the other hand, even if Donatell were to have issues with Harbaugh, his willingness to sign a multi-year extension shows that he can be a grown-up about the situation.

I have no idea what Donatell feels about Harbaugh, but given how badly people want to infer things are on the verge of falling apart, this goes against the grain of that media-fueled narrative. It certainly doesn't end any of this, but it's nice to get some good news about the coaching staff amidst the rumor-mongering.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good I like coach Donatell glad he is sticking around.

Agreed. Its hard to say if the passive approach taken by 49er DBs is a result of his coaching or is just required as part of the overall 49er defensive scheme.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Its hard to say if the passive approach taken by 49er DBs is a result of his coaching or is just required as part of the overall 49er defensive scheme.

I think it's safe to say that it's a part of the 49ers culture at this point.

We are still haunted by the ghost of Jim Mora Jr.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's safe to say that it's a part of the 49ers culture at this point.

We are still haunted by the ghost of Jim Mora Jr.

I think the players dictate the scheme. If we had CBs better at press I think we would be more aggressive.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Greg Manusky is rolling in his grave now that you said that.

Hahahaha, I believe that's the second time I've read you say that a living person is rolling in their grave. Yes, I know the figurative speech, I just have only seen that referred to dead people. Otherwise, people just say that Greg Manusky would hate to hear you say that (or something to that effect).

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahaha, I believe that's the second time I've read you say that a living person is rolling in their grave. Yes, I know the figurative speech, I just have only seen that referred to dead people. Otherwise, people just say that Greg Manusky would hate to hear you say that (or something to that effect).

Crimson enjoyed it last time, figured I would hit the joke again. It's a personal favorite of mine.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crimson enjoyed it last time, figured I would hit the joke again. It's a personal favorite of mine.

Ha ha! That's how we came up the name for our high school rock band. My dad said "Mozart would roll over in his grave if he heard your music". That brought back a funny memory.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha! That's how we came up the name for our high school rock band. My dad said "Mozart would roll over in his grave if he heard your music". That brought back a funny memory.

But that makes sense because he's dead. Manusky? Not so much. You could have named yourselves after Paul McCartney, saying he'd roll over in his grave if he heard you guys - you know of the Paul is Dead conspiracy, right?