• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ERS EXTEND ANTHONY DAVIS!!!!!

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're delusional. 1. That's just your version of why Davis made such an improvement. He was actually gradually getting better every year and with him coming into the game at 20 realistic people knew there would be growing pains. 2. In 7 games Crabtree had 427 receiving (subtracted the 11 yards on CK's pass) yards with Alex Smith behind center...In 10 games with Kaepernick 880. That's 61 ypg with Smith and 88 ypg with Kaepernick starting.

I have my opinion so don't go calling me delusional fuck head.

Once Crabtree got healthy and put in an off-season he looked like a different player. He was no longer running in sand and actually had a burst. He was getting a good thing going with Smith before the QB switch. If you think he didn't transform as a player prior to Kaep then that is on you. I don't agree.

I went to the training camps and saw Davis up close and in person. You can tell the difference in leg development with him like night and day. There is a reason his footwork excelled this year. He was putting in more work than he had. That isn't an age thing, that is a dedication thing. He is still an immature kid so your age thing holds no water.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing Mays had attitude / intelligence problems.

He had no instincts for the game whatsoever. He got by on raw physical tools and that eventually caught up to him. Thankfully Vernon Davis didnt fall into the same category. He actually honed himself and developed much better agility and concentration on catching the ball. Early on he was strictly a straight line blazer with the dropsies.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had no instincts for the game whatsoever. He got by on raw physical tools and that eventually caught up to him. Thankfully Vernon Davis didnt fall into the same category. He actually honed himself and developed much better agility and concentration on catching the ball. Early on he was strictly a straight line blazer with the dropsies.

This is my feeling as well but those types of players can be molded and actually learn to play the position. With his physical abilities, he might of been pretty good if he actually had to learn how to play.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Davis isn't the kind of guy to get paid & then mail it in. I'm hoping he takes that next step in terms of pass protection & becomes one of the elite tackles in the game.

I think the ABSOLUTE most important mission for the Niners is to keep the OL dominant.

His rookie contract was already pretty healthy. 5 yr $26.5 mil, $15.94 mil guaranteed. I know that top top money tends to change players, but if he survived that much money as a 20 year old then I'm pretty sure he'll do fine moving forward with a pay raise as a 23 year old.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Vernon early on and Mays early on is a good comparison.

Both had good straight line speed and were stiff in the hips with bad hands.

Vernon matured into a great player, Mays hasn't for whatever reason.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His rookie contract was already pretty healthy. 5 yr $26.5 mil, $15.94 mil guaranteed. I know that top top money tends to change players, but if he survived that much money as a 20 year old then I'm pretty sure he'll do fine moving forward with a pay raise as a 23 year old.

Yeah, I'm not too worried him getting lazy not that he's got this contract. It's not a fully guaranteed contract, so he has to make sure he keeps up his level of play or else he'll get cut later down the road.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Once Crabtree got healthy and put in an off-season he looked like a different player. He was no longer running in sand and actually had a burst. He was getting a good thing going with Smith before the QB switch. If you think he didn't transform as a player prior to Kaep then that is on you. I don't agree.

I went to the training camps and saw Davis up close and in person. You can tell the difference in leg development with him like night and day. There is a reason his footwork excelled this year. He was putting in more work than he had. That isn't an age thing, that is a dedication thing. He is still an immature kid so your age thing holds no water.

A male's body isn't fully developed by 20, strength was never Davis' weakness, and correlating leg power with footwork is a bit confusing. How about he needed more time playing a position he never played in his life. The experience gave him consistency (Remember he did own Clay Matthews one of his down years) and that perfectly goes hand in hand with the argument that he was gradually improving throughout his career.

Crabtree now knows the ball is coming his way even if there's a tight window. A WR becomes more confident when his QB trusts in their receiver. There's also more of a sense of certainty when a receiver knows the ball's coming his way. The foot is almost a non-issue; I don't remember him limping at all during a game and he's always excelled at breaking tackles.

In conclusion, keep your version of what happened and I'll live in the real world.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 49ers have signed RT Anthony Davis to a 5 year $37 million deal which includes $17 million in guaranteed. This keeps Davis with the Niners through 2019!!!! I love it! They have extended a key player. Kaepernick, Iupati, Aldon Smith, and Crabtree figure to be coming up in the future as well!

good stuff, if possible you always want to keep your own good players. you know how they play, how they fit, how they act. they know the scheme, other players, and the organization.

the reason why we don't force the highest priced FA's on the market.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

crabtree grew up and was healthy

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what does this do for our cap this season? I missed it if it was already posted

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My expectations were that he would be a bust. I could not believe we drafted a kid like him that high. He looked like Tarzan and played like Jane and someone fell for it. I wanna say it was on Singletary.

I gotta believe that whole draft was just one massive power struggle. You had the whole Scot McCloughan mess and whatever was going on behind the scenes there, added with the fact that Jed was just assuming his leadership role and we got a new GM right before the draft. I think Baalke won out on his first two picks because he could convince Singletary that they were "physical maulers" but that Singletary seized control of the Mays pick due to his defensive "expertise". At least, that's the story that I like to believe! I hope this past draft doesn't make me question it in a few years.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A male's body isn't fully developed by 20, strength was never Davis' weakness, and correlating leg power with footwork is a bit confusing. How about he needed more time playing a position he never played in his life. The experience gave him consistency (Remember he did own Clay Matthews one of his down years) and that perfectly goes hand in hand with the argument that he was gradually improving throughout his career.

Crabtree now knows the ball is coming his way even if there's a tight window. A WR becomes more confident when his QB trusts in their receiver. There's also more of a sense of certainty when a receiver knows the ball's coming his way. The foot is almost a non-issue; I don't remember him limping at all during a game and he's always excelled at breaking tackles.

In conclusion, keep your version of what happened and I'll live in the real world.

The dude was massive when he was drafted so that assessment of not being fully developed at 20 is bullshit. It is not like he grew into his frame and got bigger. Since you can't comprehend what leg development means and are confused I will clarify it for you. Clearly early on he wasn't putting in the work. His legs were soft and his footwork was atrocious. He clearly started taking that seriously before this season began.

Saying a WR knows he is getting the ball as the reason he had more suddenness and speed is a flat out lie. Alex Smith is not the reason Crabtree was slow as shit his first few years. When you have a broken foot and don't get in the off-season conditioning and practice you are gonna be a step slow when you aren't gifted with natural elite speed. It takes time to get back to form. I think Crabs would make Webster his bitch today even with Jimmy Clausen at QB.

So yes please stay in your reality where Jimmy Clausen is a capable QB.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dude was massive when he was drafted so that assessment of not being fully developed at 20 is bullshit. It is not like he grew into his frame and got bigger. Since you can't comprehend what leg development means and are confused I will clarify it for you. Clearly early on he wasn't putting in the work. His legs were soft and his footwork was atrocious. He clearly started taking that seriously before this season began.

Saying a WR knows he is getting the ball as the reason he had more suddenness and speed is a flat out lie. Alex Smith is not the reason Crabtree was slow as shit his first few years. When you have a broken foot and don't get in the off-season conditioning and practice you are gonna be a step slow when you aren't gifted with natural elite speed. It takes time to get back to form. I think Crabs would make Webster his bitch today even with Jimmy Clausen at QB.

i would have liked to see us grab clausen instead of mccoy

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping the Arizona Cardinals picked him up.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Searched the entire Sportshoopla for the phrase "Crabtree limp" nothing came up. The guy never showed any symptoms of having a broken foot (that I can recall) in any preseason or regular season game. While I'm not going to argue that he hasn't improved since being in the NFL, I'm not a believer that this foot problem was a hindrance to him in any game, especially the past two years, and this "sudden burst" is all in your head.

With Davis I thought you were going in the direction that him improving his strength was going to help him from being knocked off his footwork. That was the confusion. -- Anyway I agree his footwork was bad, my opinion has always been that he needs to learn the position. You think he wasn't dedicated enough, based off ______? And you think he wasn't strong enough, despite being known as a mauler and great run-blocker since entering the league.

Jimmy Clausen 2014! Someone has to be willing to pick him up on the market.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Searched the entire Sportshoopla for the phrase "Crabtree limp" nothing came up. The guy never showed any symptoms of having a broken foot (that I can recall) in any preseason or regular season game. While I'm not going to argue that he hasn't improved since being in the NFL, I'm not a believer that this foot problem was a hindrance to him in any game, especially the past two years, and this "sudden burst" is all in your head.

With Davis I thought you were going in the direction that him improving his strength was going to help him from being knocked off his footwork. That was the confusion. -- Anyway I agree his footwork was bad, my opinion has always been that he needs to learn the position. You think he wasn't dedicated enough, based off ______? And you think he wasn't strong enough, despite being known as a mauler and great run-blocker since entering the league.

Jimmy Clausen 2014! Someone has to be willing to pick him up on the market.

Who said anything about a limp? Do you not remember the multiple injuries and missed off-seasons for Crabs? This clearly played a role in him not being 100% healthy and recovered for years. He went in to every season recovering from an injury that limited his off-season work until this year! Stress fracture, neck injury, re-injuring foot (2nd foot surgery two offseason ago). Check check check. Where have you been? You can go ahead and look at stats and QBs and make your own assumptions. Mine is based off the eye ball test. This season Crabs was clearly a quicker player on the field. I attribute that to health and off-season work. Not some bullshit like a mid season QB change. Ludicrous.

Being a mauler and run blocker in college has zilch to do with what I'm talking about. Both those aspects involve getting your hands on a guy which is much easier at that level. Davis was poor at this in terms of pass pro in the NFL until he clearly put more work on it. You keep bringing up strength yet I haven't once. I lost track of how many times he was beaten so badly he barely got his hands on the guy as a result of poor footwork. Thankfully he dedicated himself and improved. This didnt happen because he turned 23. Like Pozz said, banking on a guy with his immaturity level to do that made a lot of us uneasy. Thank god he stepped up to the plate; now he better maintain it and not revert to laziness.

Last edited by a moderator: