• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ERS EXTEND ANTHONY DAVIS!!!!!

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems pretty reasonable, another good move by the FO.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we did say,...
Smith is holding back Crabtree
A. Davis is only X years old

And neither of those have anything to do with them being successful today. Davis didn't dedicate himself until he was thought about being moved to G before the season started. Crabtree blossomed once he got healthy and actually participated in an off-season.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
imo we should always have someone on rookie contract on the offensive line. within a 1-2 that should be center. then we should be looking at either RG or RT. boone could slide over to RT to replace davis.

unless we're not planning to resign some other guys like crabtree, we can't have that much cash invested in the offensive line.

the great thing we have going for us is that Boone's contract is pretty much a rookie contract for the next 3 years, and Staley's is pretty darn close to a rookie contract for the next few years as well. Staley's does increase to 6.9M/yr by the final year, but if he's healthy and productive this could be brought down with another short extension. Plus Staley's is non-guaranteed from here on out and Boone is only guaranteed 300K/yr...that gives us a lot of flexibility. Considering Davis' contract appears somewhat reasonable, I think we'll easily be able to resign Iupati soon.

With all that being said, Goodwin is most likely gone next year and hopefully someone like Kilgore can step in. Kilgore becomes a FA in 2 seasons...maybe if he shows us something in preseason/practice we can sign him to a Boone-like contract. Same thing goes for Looney in 3 seasons.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eek! Davis' contract to me was one of the scariest ones that was going to have to be addressed. He's one of the hardest 49ers players for me to get behind and the thought of sinking anything significant into him long-term was something that has scared me for a while. It's not as large as I thought it might be so that's about the best thing I can say about it. I just really wish the darn guy would grow up intellectually and verbally by about 15 years. That would be a nice start.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the great thing we have going for us is that Boone's contract is pretty much a rookie contract for the next 3 years, and Staley's is pretty darn close to a rookie contract for the next few years as well. Staley's does increase to 6.9M/yr by the final year, but if he's healthy and productive this could be brought down with another short extension. Plus Staley's is non-guaranteed from here on out and Boone is only guaranteed 300K/yr...that gives us a lot of flexibility. Considering Davis' contract appears somewhat reasonable, I think we'll easily be able to resign Iupati soon.

With all that being said, Goodwin is most likely gone next year and hopefully someone like Kilgore can step in. Kilgore becomes a FA in 2 seasons...maybe if he shows us something in preseason/practice we can sign him to a Boone-like contract. Same thing goes for Looney in 3 seasons.

Is there a better contract guy in the league than PM? Seriously.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is there a better contract guy in the league than PM? Seriously.

Ahhhh! I could go off on that subject for several minutes! Do you remember the utter CRAP that was thrown around about him back on the ESPN boards? I spent so much time dedicated to straightening the picture out back then on him in his younger days.

The only 49ers employee that I've seen in the last 10-15 years that has been more misunderstood by common fans than Marathe was Mike Nolan, but that's a completely different subject that I'll leave alone.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when Davis and iupati were drafted and people hated those picks cause they were not sexy and could have been filled later in the draft. Then more impact players drafted with those spots in the first round. They sure look sexy now.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhhh! I could go off on that subject for several minutes! Do you remember the utter CRAP that was thrown around about him back on the ESPN boards? I spent so much time dedicated to straightening the picture out back then on him in his younger days.

The only 49ers employee that I've seen in the last 10-15 years that has been more misunderstood by common fans than Marathe was Mike Nolan, but that's a completely different subject that I'll leave alone.

There was a big fear that PM was playing a role in drafting which we flat out sucked at back in the day. It took awhile for things to clear up.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eek! Davis' contract to me was one of the scariest ones that was going to have to be addressed. He's one of the hardest 49ers players for me to get behind and the thought of sinking anything significant into him long-term was something that has scared me for a while. It's not as large as I thought it might be so that's about the best thing I can say about it. I just really wish the darn guy would grow up intellectually and verbally by about 15 years. That would be a nice start.

Pozz, I got a questions for you. It seems as if you are lukewarm at best on this extension. Why exactly is that? I know his mouth and twitter get him into trouble but I LOVE his nastiness and newfound commitment to his craft. He reminds me of Kevin Gogan back in the day and how he played to the echo of the whistle and set the tone for our running game. I DO wish he would keep his mouth shut but I also don't have any reason to complain if the guy doesn't do anything detrimental to the team and still performs. As young and as talented as he is, he seems like exactly who we would want to re-sign.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when Davis and iupati were drafted and people hated those picks cause they were not sexy and could have been filled later in the draft. Then more impact players drafted with those spots in the first round. They sure look sexy now.

I still find Dez Bryant's play sexier. :(

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm a bit surprised by this, too, as I figured Kap, Aldon, and possibly/probably Iupati would all take precedence over Davis, but to lock him up for only $1 million more than Gosder Cherilus isn't half bad. Though he's also costing quite a bit more than Sebastian Vollmer. We'll have to view this one in context with the other moves we make to retain our own players over the next few years.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pozz, I got a questions for you. It seems as if you are lukewarm at best on this extension. Why exactly is that? I know his mouth and twitter get him into trouble but I LOVE his nastiness and newfound commitment to his craft. He reminds me of Kevin Gogan back in the day and how he played to the echo of the whistle and set the tone for our running game. I DO wish he would keep his mouth shut but I also don't have any reason to complain if the guy doesn't do anything detrimental to the team and still performs. As young and as talented as he is, he seems like exactly who we would want to re-sign.

I still can't get past the immaturity issues and the knuckleheadedness that's still there with Davis. I almost always get uneasy about sinking long-term commitments into those type of players who also appear to be so dependant on having strong personalities and influences around them to keep them in the pack with everybody else.

It's not stunning to me that somebody like a Harbaugh or a Roman would be cool with having a guy like him on the team and feel like he'll be fine under them, but if their strong influences go away and the right kind of replacement isn't put in place, I would expect Davis to be one of the VERY first players that could suffer big time with the kind of make-up he has.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this has reminded me of Taylor Mays in the 2nd round. There went my stomach.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

This is one reason to be a little worried...this commitment appears to be something new - hopefully it wasn't inspired by the thought of a new contract. Now, I don't know him or what happens day-to-day - maybe this wasn't new and he just finally figured it out on the field. All in all though, I think Baalke's faith is the best indicator. Baalke has a pretty decent track record on these long term signings.

JPurthe1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Can we relax and enjoy the news.

This guys was the youngest player in his draft class. He is still 23 years young with 3 years of experience under his belt.
Playing arguably the hardest position in football, "The trenches".

He was immature and learning a new position. It takes time and he has done his work and has the respect of the Organization. They know better than I or anyone else about his work ethic.

Now let us all move on to the next folks on our list:

Iupati, Kaepernick, Boone, defensive end Aldon Smith and wide receiver Michael Crabtree are among the next ones in line.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great signing, i like the way this kid plays. Sure he gets dumb penalties sometimes but he plays with an attitude.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this has reminded me of Taylor Mays in the 2nd round. There went my stomach.

Expectations for Mays were much too high due to his physical talented. The fact is that as talented as he was, he wasn't that great of a football player. He needed to sit and work on his coverage abilities, technique and ability to read formatiions. To me he just seemed lost out there and slow to react. He had no business being expected to start for at least 2 years.

He should have been a special teams ace and back up.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That's a tiny bit less than William Beaty got.

Now only Bowman & Andy Lee are signed for a longer term than Davis.