• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 4 Atlanta Hawks (48-34) vs. 1 Cleveland Cavaliers (57-25)

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CLEVELAND -- Last year, after making his biggest play to that point of the season, Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James made a point of explaining how he overruled his head coach on what set to run for the final shot in a playoff win over the Chicago Bulls.

After carrying the Cavs over the final five minutes of another quality playoff win, this one over the Atlanta Hawks on Monday, James went out of his way to praise his head coach.
there continue to be moments when it becomes more clear how much stronger Lue's connection is with the Cavs' core players. Game 1 had several examples. The most vivid were from James, who on multiple occasions made sure to explain how Lue's actions were a factor in the victory:

• On the strategy of focusing the defense on Hawks guard Kyle Korver, who got just one shot, and allowing Dennis Schroder a playoff career-high 27 points, James said: "We had a game plan, and we follow the game plan our coaching staff gives us."

• On what Lue did during second-half timeouts after the Cavs blew an 18-point lead: "Our coach and our coaching staff are very even keel, and we just try to stay in the moment. ... It's a calm feeling when you come to the sideline no matter if you've given up a lead or not."

• On adjustments that were made late in the game: "There's a game in between the game people don't see. It's up to us to follow the game plan the coach sets for us."
This is just not normal behavior from James, to look for ways to bring back attention to his coach. It's not as though that has never happened, but affirming the coach was not a part of the way he operated while playing for Blatt. For the time being -- and all coach-player relationships in the league are fragile and subject to sudden change -- James continues to display that he is invested in Lue's success.

Fair or not, deserved or not, that was rarely the case with Blatt.

Those within the team insist this is a product of Lue being more demanding and setting a tone of accountability within the team. And here is a prime example of how Lue has gone about his business: the Kevin Love conundrum.

One of the issues that plagued the Cavs was end-of-game distrust that frequently existed between Love, James and Kyrie Irving. It was normal for Love to have big first quarters but disappear in the fourth. And it was a compounding problem; Love often wasn't effective late, but Irving and James would often forget about him.

Lue attacked the issue from both ends by getting on James and Irving when they didn't involve Love. But he also got on Love for letting down just because he wasn't always getting the ball. This is the accountability he preached when he took the job after Blatt was fired.

It hasn't been an instant or perfect switch, but there has been progress. In Game 1, Love was mired in a bad shooting game as he went 4-of-17. But he was still active and involved in the fourth quarter, and Irving and James kept looking for him. Love ended up getting to the foul line five times and getting three rebounds down the stretch.

"He's the same way, no matter the point in the game," James said. "If we mess up, he gets on us, but he's always saying: 'OK, let's move on to the next possession. Let's figure out a way we can be better next possession.'"

Handling James is prickly. Those who know him believe he likes to be held accountable by his coach and he doesn't actually want to make all the decisions despite what the perception may be. But he also will challenge his coach to execute and will abandon the situation if he doesn't like the sales pitch. So that brings back the "I scratched it" moment from last season's playoffs, when James talked openly about overriding Blatt.

Lue is going in strong on the former, believing the way to get the most from James is to hold him to a standard. But he does it without wrath.

"I got it from Phil Jackson," Lue said. "I think just being even-keeled, being poised, staying with it, being positive with the guys. I think it's the best approach."

no doubt about it- Ty Lue is probably the first coach that LeBron James has actually liked and respected in his entire career.

This isn't shocking. Lue is the coach that Lebron wanted. Of course he's praising him, it's his pick of a coach.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the regular season is just a lot different.

When defenses get tough in the post season and it turns into more of a half court game at times- you need guys with elite scoring ability. Kyrie Irving has that in abundance. He is really emerging right now as a big time offensive threat that the other team has to do something to counter. It will be interesting to see what the adjustments are for the Hawks and how LeBron benefits.

This Hawks team does seem susceptible to getting in their heads...Thompson and Delly especially have that ability...
Last time I checked LBJ last 2 Finals he lost to the spurs and GS and both got better.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't shocking. Lue is the coach that Lebron wanted. Of course he's praising him, it's his pick of a coach.
I gotta say

I can listen to the arguments that LeBron has too much power etc...blah blah blah....

but i dont know- maybe there is something i am missing- but if i am an NBA owner and LeBron James was looking at my team to possibly come to- how do you NOT offer him everything he wants? just show him the respect- like the GM stuff- LeBron just wants to know he has the power- he doesnt even exercise it in that respect anyway...

I mean- if i am a GM and have LeBron the FIRST thing on my list of coaches is- how does this guy work with LeBron?....

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say

I can listen to the arguments that LeBron has too much power etc...blah blah blah....

but i dont know- maybe there is something i am missing- but if i am an NBA owner and LeBron James was looking at my team to possibly come to- how do you NOT offer him everything he wants? just show him the respect- like the GM stuff- LeBron just wants to know he has the power- he doesnt even exercise it in that respect anyway...

I mean- if i am a GM and have LeBron the FIRST thing on my list of coaches is- how does this guy work with LeBron?....

Lebron's always had his way with the Cavs. He called for some of their moves, and they didn't work out pre-Miami. He needed to go to a culture of winning, which the Cavs couldn't give him.

So far as far as Lebron calling the shots, he has zero titles. Sometimes you need to keep Lebron from becoming his own worse enemy. Instead of giving him a coach that he wants, why don't you pair him with a coach that knows how to utilize him and the personnel around him properly? I know, what a crazy shit-brain idea.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say

There's a difference between considering your best players opinion and what the Cavs have done. All teams, if they are smart, ask their best players opinion on personnel moves they are considering. What they don't do, is what the Cavs have always done with Lebron, allow him to tell them what personnel moves to make.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this chart and thought it was interesting. Looks like its just the playoffs, so small sample size. Millsap and LeBron 2 of the players that don't seem to be getting calls.

View attachment 114278

Millsap not getting calls is nothing new, unfortunately.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a difference between considering your best players opinion and what the Cavs have done. All teams, if they are smart, ask their best players opinion on personnel moves they are considering. What they don't do, is what the Cavs have always done with Lebron, allow him to tell them what personnel moves to make.
what personal moves have the Cavs made JUST because of LeBron?

the simple fact is- there are none other than bringing in some back end role players like James Jones. The only thing that I KNOW is that the Cavs were going to trade for Love, and- when they had the New York deal proposed they asked LeBron if they thought Jr Smith would be a good addition/controllable.

You- or anyone else- could not point to ONE SINGLE player transaction where LeBron operated as anything more than giving advice to the GM.

Sorry its just fact whether you want to admit it or not.

I just have no clue how you think this stuff ACTUALLY works...if you really THOUGHT about it...youd probably get a visit from the Clue-Bird. lol.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most are saying the Cavs are winning but not impressively and that may be true but they are also doing it with Love not doing so hot in 3 of the 5 games. If he can be more consistent and get more looks in the post it will really help the offense which is already looking good but could be better. Their defense has to improve but I think it will, it usually does in the later rounds. That being said he is still averaging 18 and 12. I just want to see him shoot at a high percentage.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean- do people ACTUALLY think LeBron goes to the GM and says- trade for this guy, or get this guy? LOL

those people are just beyond ignorant with how the NBA works.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most are saying the Cavs are winning but not impressively and that may be true but they are also doing it with Love not doing so hot in 3 of the 5 games. If he can be more consistent and get more looks in the post it will really help the offense which are already looking good but could be better. Their defense has to improve but I think it will, it usually does in the later rounds.
its the playoffs-- win the games....the Cavs have done that better than anyone so far.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron's always had his way with the Cavs. He called for some of their moves, and they didn't work out pre-Miami. He needed to go to a culture of winning, which the Cavs couldn't give him.

So far as far as Lebron calling the shots, he has zero titles. Sometimes you need to keep Lebron from becoming his own worse enemy. Instead of giving him a coach that he wants, why don't you pair him with a coach that knows how to utilize him and the personnel around him properly? I know, what a crazy shit-brain idea.
its just not true that LeBron calls for certain moves...in his first time in Cleveland- there is not even ONE example of such a thing.

The only thing I could even LISTEN to an argument on is the Love deal- but the Cavs were ALWAYS going to do the Love deal once LeBron committed because Love's prime matched up so much better with LeBron.

I mean- i guess if when Griffin went to LeBron and asked him if he thought that JR Smith would be an asset and not a headache- if LeBron said- dont mess up the chemistry- the guys a disaster- Griffin would have taken that into very strong consideration--- but if someone thinks Griffin is sitting there asking LeBron what he should do- they just have no fucking clue- how the league works or how deals get negotiated.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now- as far as filling out the end of the bench- LeBron's relationships in the league and his preferences are taken into account- like James Jones i guess is one instance.....RJeff came to Cleveland to play with LeBron to try and win big- but if someone thinks LeBron is sitting there going- GRIFFIN GO GET RICHARD JEFFERSON...i mean, get real.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its just not true that LeBron calls for certain moves...in his first time in Cleveland- there is not even ONE example of such a thing.

The only thing I could even LISTEN to an argument on is the Love deal- but the Cavs were ALWAYS going to do the Love deal once LeBron committed because Love's prime matched up so much better with LeBron.

I mean- i guess if when Griffin went to LeBron and asked him if he thought that JR Smith would be an asset and not a headache- if LeBron said- dont mess up the chemistry- the guys a disaster- Griffin would have taken that into very strong consideration--- but if someone thinks Griffin is sitting there asking LeBron what he should do- they just have no fucking clue- how the league works or how deals get negotiated.

How does Love's prime match up with Lebron? At this juncture, we're starting to see Lebron's stats (more his FG%) go and he's not as effective of a defender as he used to be. Meaning, Lebron is no longer in his prime, while Love is starting to enter his.

Apparently you're still naive to think that Lebron isn't calling the shots in Cleveland or that he doesn't have the Cavs organization by the balls, because he does. He leaves, and Cleveland's a lottery team, or at best - a 7th/8th seed in the playoffs. Although, given their record w/out Lebron, I'll go with the former. But that's fine, keep thinking that Lebron's in it to win a title for the land and he's not taking every advantage of his current situation.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does Love's prime match up with Lebron? At this juncture, we're starting to see Lebron's stats (more his FG%) go and he's not as effective of a defender as he used to be. Meaning, Lebron is no longer in his prime, while Love is starting to enter his.

Apparently you're still naive to think that Lebron isn't calling the shots in Cleveland or that he doesn't have the Cavs organization by the balls, because he does. He leaves, and Cleveland's a lottery team, or at best - a 7th/8th seed in the playoffs. Although, given their record w/out Lebron, I'll go with the former. But that's fine, keep thinking that Lebron's in it to win a title for the land and he's not taking every advantage of his current situation.
well give me an example.

The thinking on dealing for Love was - he was 27 at the time- not 20- and his prime matched up MUCH better with LeBron's than Wiggins--- and FORTUNATELY for the Cavs- they made the move- because if they did keep him it wouldve been for his defense and his defense has been TERRIBLE thus far.

Dude- i would tell you if LeBron has gotten transactions done on his own- I WANTED him to his first time around but he REFUSED To--- we tried to get Ray Allen and Michael Redd before signing Larry Hughes- and LeBron REFUSED to recruit them- he wanted nothing to do with it--- then or now for the most part...

the fact that people dont see this baffles me- but i guess they just get this idea i ntheir head and dont actually LOOK at what has ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well give me an example.

The thinking on dealing for Love was - he was 27 at the time- not 20- and his prime matched up MUCH better with LeBron's than Wiggins--- and FORTUNATELY for the Cavs- they made the move- because if they did keep him it wouldve been for his defense and his defense has been TERRIBLE thus far.

Dude- i would tell you if LeBron has gotten transactions done on his own- I WANTED him to his first time around but he REFUSED To--- we tried to get Ray Allen and Michael Redd before signing Larry Hughes- and LeBron REFUSED to recruit them- he wanted nothing to do with it--- then or now for the most part...

the fact that people dont see this baffles me- but i guess they just get this idea i ntheir head and dont actually LOOK at what has ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

If you don't think that James is consulted before any potential move, then you've just taken another step down the naive ladder.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't think that James is consulted before any potential move, then you've just taken another step down the naive ladder.
i just TOLD you he was consulted on the Jr Smith move- i mean- can u seriously fucking read? lol...unbelievable...

Griffin had the proposed deal on the table- and went to LeBron and said- is Jr Smith a guy that we can handle in the locker room? LeBron said- YES. Deal done. I think thats exactly how things are SUPPOSED to work. Now- in no way shape or form does LeBron have "Final say" over ANY transaction- but Griffin certainly picks the brain of one of the most intelligent basketball players in the history of the game.

Im sure it was similar with Love- BEFORE LeBron had committed to coming here the Cavs had been trying to trade for Love for a year or two to match up with KI...once LeBron came back - Love actually AGREED to it and demonstrated hed sign long term- he was a 27 year old 3 time all star as opposed to a 19 year old kid which is a MUCH better match for LeBron to win going forward.

Id HOPE that Griffin wouldnt just make moves without consulting one of the most intelligent basketball players of all time and the best player in the league- but if you think LeBron is saying- WE NEED THIS GUY- GO GET HIM- and its done- you have no fucking clue how the NBA works- or you are just purposefully ignorant to continue a narrative that has no basis in fact.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i definitely dont think thats true

Barnes is a FA, Bogut needs a K soon, Ezeli is a FA i think, Iggy is getting older.....Yes the Warriors do have Green, Curry, Thompson all signed up long term- but after this season a lot of that team is up in the air...

The Spurs arent gonna have Ginobili, Duncan, Parker forever- and while Leonard and Aldridge is a nice place to start its not overwhelming to say the least- im taking Bron and one of the Cavs other 2 over Leonard and LA anyday.
Wishful thinking. The only player I could see leaving the Warriors is Barnes. And honestly there will be plenty of guys that will want to take his place. The way they all describe the locker room and the genuine comradery they share- and show on the court- will be hard for many to pass up if given the opportunity.