• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3rd Base Obstruction- Sox Fan Conclusion

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the rule, they called the play right.

What can be debated, was if the rule is a fair rule. In this case, it looks like middlebrooks falls down, he falls down facing towards second base, not close to the 3rd base line. Then, as he tries to get up, he is pushed down by the cards player who tries to run far inside the path.

The Cards runner ran wrong, but under the rule, and regardless of middlebrooks being away from the path, w/o intent, it is called.

Sox to me did not deserve this call. BUT, they also did not deserve John Farrell's poor management calls late in the game. He truly blew obvious decisions. If he had loaded the bases it was a innng ending double play. And why Bat workman.

JOHN F, you got an F tonite, as did the MLB for not revising that rule.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was absolutely the right call.

Craig scores skipping if not tripped. Don't matter if it was on purpose.

Peavy killed me in his post game interview. What a pile of shit.

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah, the rule is a little sketchy but as you said, it was the right call regardless. It was a stupid play and scenario all around. I agree that loading the bases would have been the way to go. Make it a force play even if you don't get the dp. Pedroia made a heck of a play on that to get the ball and get it home to get Yadier. Salty should have just eaten the ball right there though and not gotten greedy but that is hindsight. He was trying to make a play for his team and most catchers do that. Far too often though, on those plays, the 3b is a little out of position and the errant throw happens. To be honest, Craig should never have been off third at the time anyway and he got lucky. No need for him to go more than halfway from second to third there. We see it all the time with these guys. The guy on third can and usually does get caught in a rundown and third base is his. Either Yadi scores or is out. Craig running anywhere is meaningless and he could have easily ran them into a dp.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question is could Boston appeal the play and won? If u go by the book Craig should have had to retouch 3rd base because he took 2 steps in the direction of 2nd base after the slide. Nitpicking but the ruling was nitpicking imo

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question is could Boston appeal the play and won? If u go by the book Craig should have had to retouch 3rd base because he took 2 steps in the direction of 2nd base after the slide. Nitpicking but the ruling was nitpicking imo

No because he did not make an attempt to go back to 2nd base nor would any baserunner in the history of the world for any reason whatsoever try and go back a base. Instead, like a million other times, when he got up naturally from his slide, he was inside the base and tried to score creating the basepath. And even so, the basepath was literally 6 inches inside the bag, not like it was 3-4 feet.

Try laying on your back and try getting up with the first motion being lifting both legs into the air. There is not a person in the history of the world that would be able to physically get up this way. No one would even accidentally lift their legs there. I would literally bet everything I owned that he did that intentionally and he got called out on it.

Fact is, if no one was in the way, every single runner in baseball would have scored standing up. Justice was served and the Red Sox deserved to lose and they did.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the right call This loss is on the stupid throw by salty He has done this way too many times this year

blaming farrell for not walking jay is dumb they got the out but then blew the game:suds:

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the right call This loss is on the stupid throw by salty He has done this way too many times this year

blaming farrell for not walking jay is dumb they got the out but then blew the game:suds:

Correct. They got the grounder and the out at home. No need for uehara to walk someone.

It is also difficult for a player to sit and watch a runner limp to third. Salty saw and threw. It was just a bad throw and bad catch.

As said, the runner would have scored on the error.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct call. Horrible timing for it to be called BUT Middlebrooks SHOULD have caught that ball.....Salty NEVER should have thrown it! Farrell NEVER should have had Workman hit in the 9th!

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Seat, agree. There are times you can see that Farrell is still learning as a game day manager. The team deserves better decisions from him.

And to those who said he should have not walked to load the bases....what?

Immediately all the announcers scratched their heads on that one, as did I.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joyce and judgement calls should not be mentioned in the same sentence...At least he was looking at the play...

1377454_10152014642282502_424404219_n.jpg

Well.......ummmm.......yaaah!

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw the play live and I thought Middlebrooks was clearly trying to trip him. Since when do you try to get up with your legs in the air like that?

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw the play live and I thought Middlebrooks was clearly trying to trip him. Since when do you try to get up with your legs in the air like that?
That was just a reflexive reaction to the fall.

Middlebrooks was pushing himself up with his arms, not attempting to kick the runner or roll into him.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was trying to trip him, he did a very bad job of it.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joyce and judgement calls should not be mentioned in the same sentence...At least he was looking at the play...

1377454_10152014642282502_424404219_n.jpg

Well.......ummmm.......yaaah!

:L Have you seen a video yet?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure have....don't care for the the sport anymore....I honestly have no idea why I posted that.....bad call in you ask me..

If you're giving up the sport because of a still picture then you probably didn't care much for it in the first place. You realize that his head only turns that way for a split second and he is turned and sees the clear obstruction and calls it as soon as it happens, right? Even Farrell admitted that it was the correct call.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Seat, agree. There are times you can see that Farrell is still learning as a game day manager. The team deserves better decisions from him.

And to those who said he should have not walked to load the bases....what?

Immediately all the announcers scratched their heads on that one, as did I.

Yep. Statistically, the odds of not giving up a run with one out and the bases loaded is better than one out and runners on second and third. It would've been even more beneficial considering the circumstances with who the Cardinals had due up. Kozma (.217 with a .275 OBP and .273 slugging and .232/.273/.281 vs. righties this year) and Wong a rookie (9-59 all year and .173/.218/.192 vs. RHP) were due up. Koji was one of the most dominant pitchers this year, Kozma was one of the worst hitting everyday players in the bigs. I understand trusting Koji to get Jay, but I also think you shouldn't risk going against the odds when you can't afford to give up runs.

Also, his lack of managerial experience with NL rules showed when he brought in Workman (and knew he needed him for more than three outs) but didn't double switch with Ross and Salty and left him in to bat for the first time against a guy throwing 98+ mph.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're giving up the sport because of a still picture then you probably didn't care much for it in the first place. You realize that his head only turns that way for a split second and he is turned and sees the clear obstruction and calls it as soon as it happens, right? Even Farrell admitted that it was the correct call.

No...I have not watched a game in 2yrs. Lost a lot of respect for the game. Steroids, $$$, takes to long, pink hat fans....this call has not done anything for me...just makes it another point why I don't watch. Was Joyce the one who blew the Gallaragher no hitter, I mean perfect game?

Also he, should have not turned his head at all. Look, it was the correct call. This rule is all for the runner, and that is it. What was Middlebrooks suppose to do? He dove for a ball and landed on his stomach, the runner tried to get around him. Not like Middlebrooks came from CF and ran in front of him. A rule is a rule, and its a shitty one. They say it was a judgement call for this, but replay HR and stuff like that. Also, Joyce and judgement calls, don't mix.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No...I have not watched a game in 2yrs. Lost a lot of respect for the game. Steroids, $$$, takes to long, pink hat fans....this call has not done anything for me...just makes it another point why I don't watch. Was Joyce the one who blew the Gallaragher no hitter, I mean perfect game?

Also he, should have not turned his head at all. Look, it was the correct call. This rule is all for the runner, and that is it. What was Middlebrooks suppose to do? He dove for a ball and landed on his stomach, the runner tried to get around him. Not like Middlebrooks came from CF and ran in front of him. A rule is a rule, and its a shitty one. They say it was a judgement call for this, but replay HR and stuff like that. Also, Joyce and judgement calls, don't mix.

It's a good rule...it makes perfect sense. I'm not sure how it matters that he can't do anything. What are you suppose to do as a base runner? Just not score because there's someone blocking your path? :pound:

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good rule...it makes perfect sense. I'm not sure how it matters that he can't do anything. What are you suppose to do as a base runner? Just not score because there's someone blocking your path? :pound:

Let me ask you this, cause I really don't know. What if he jumped over Middlebrooks and was never touched and he was tagged out, is that still considered interference, or does he have to actually make contact? Yes it was the correct call, but there was nothing Middlebrooks could do....Oh well...what can ya do now...2-2....new series now...

Also, did he ever touch home plate? I would think he would have too no? LOL....crazy and if he didnt, does the run count...it's like hitting a HR and not touching home plate. Then you have to do the appeal right?