• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(3) Warriors vs (2) Celtics 2021-22 FINALS

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was curious, looked it up lol. I'm the last person to know any NHL trivia.

Same here as far as NHL trivia. I didn't start following hockey until Vegas gotta team five years ago.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't cha just love how a thread goes from Celtics/Warriors to racial discussion to f*ckin' hockey?

What the hell do the Detroit Redwings have to do with the NBA Finals???

Sorry. Just spent two days driving 1339 miles and left my sense of humor somewhere around Baltimore.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that period, their biggest claim to fame was winning a 1st round matchup. They also has the Spreewell and Weber fiascos. They had 3 HOFers in their prime on the team at the same time and didn’t do jack with it.

Before ‘15, they didn’t have 7 rings. They had 1 40 year old ring and 2 from a previous city in the infancy of the league as a whole. There were grandparents in the crowd who only heard about the previous ring from their fathers or were too young to even know what basketball was when it happened.

You are getting way to focused on the details of the post than meaning of it. The point is, the WARRIORS were a craptastic franchise pre-15. The Dubs were not a team that could win. Winning was not in the cards. It wasn’t a possibility. So when they did, it was joyful and confusing. This chip doesn’t compare to that.

I understand what you are saying.

But…

There are 11 franchises with 0 championships. Some of those have never even really gotten close (Clippers, Hornets, Wolves, Nuggets, Nets).

8 franchises with only 1 title, and some of those (OKC, Washington, Portland, Sacramento) were from long ago and in some cases from other cities.

The Warrior franchise is now 3rd in titles.

So despite the long dry spell, nobody is ever putting the Warriors in a list of bad franchises. There are just too many that have had little to no success.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But…

There are 11 franchises with 0 championships. Some of those have never even really gotten close (Clippers, Hornets, Wolves, Nuggets, Nets).

8 franchises with only 1 title, and some of those (OKC, Washington, Portland, Sacramento) were from long ago and in some cases from other cities.

So despite the long dry spell, nobody is ever putting the Warriors in a list of bad franchises. There are just too many that have had little to no success.
Saying anything about where the Warrior franchise is now is completely missing the point of my post, though. My post was about where the franchise was (and the mindset of its fan base) BEFORE the run.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But…

I understand that they didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning them, but the Nets did go to back-to-back finals, so I think saying they have never been close is unfair (I mean, they were in the arena).

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying anything about where the Warrior franchise is now is completely missing the point of my post, though. My post was about where the franchise was (and the mindset of its fan base) BEFORE the run.

And what I am saying is before the current run, they were still in a much better spot than most franchises.

And even if you just want to look at that specific 40 year period, there are many others in the same boat.

So any fan of a team like the Clippers or Kings or really many other teams would be correct to tell you to stop complaining. Because it gets a lot worse.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that they didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning them, but the Nets did go to back-to-back finals, so I think saying they have never been close is unfair (I mean, they were in the arena).

Did they actually show up to the arena though?

Fair point I suppose.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But…

I mean...the title count has been dominated by 2 teams and about half a dozen other has like another 27 or so total.

That's 61 of the titles

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what I am saying is before the current run, they were still in a much better spot than most franchises.

And even if you just want to look at that specific 40 year period, there are many others in the same boat.

So any fan of a team like the Clippers or Kings or really many other teams would be correct to tell you to stop complaining. Because it gets a lot worse.
Clippers and Kings fans could have said, “I feel ya, bro”, but not “stop complaining”. 40 years is 2 generations. Only the grandparents could say they tasted the bubbly. Everyone else has been stepped on by other teams climbing the ladder.

The dubs were a losing franchise. The fans didn’t know how to see winning moves (trading Ellis, for example). The org was a laughingstock. They were in the same sentence as the Kings and Clips. 2 chips from a different city and from the infancy of the league do not carry any weight. ‘75 is legit, but no current fans experienced that.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clippers and Kings fans could have said, “I feel ya, bro”, but not “stop complaining”. 40 years is 2 generations. Only the grandparents could say they tasted the bubbly. Everyone else has been stepped on by other teams climbing the ladder.

The dubs were a losing franchise. The fans didn’t know how to see winning moves (trading Ellis, for example). The org was a laughingstock. They were in the same sentence as the Kings and Clips. 2 chips from a different city and from the infancy of the league do not carry any weight. ‘75 is legit, but no current fans experienced that.

Yup, our connection to an NBA title was old highlights and Rick Barry being a local radio host.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, our connection to an NBA title was old highlights and Rick Barry being a local radio host.
And he is a cantankerous asshat, so that wasn’t a lot of help LOL

But his reaction the events of Mullins Jersey retirement night have become the stuff of legend…

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...the title count has been dominated by 2 teams and about half a dozen other has like another 27 or so total.

That's 61 of the titles

I guess that's why the first good basketball video game I can remember was called Lakers v. Celtics.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that's why the first good basketball video game I can remember was called Lakers v. Celtics.
The NBA was a 2-team league for the longest time. I think Jordan had a lot to do with changing that narrative.

Simplified, sure. But true enough, I think.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But what I am saying is that is like half the teams
in the league.

And I have never seen Golden State in laughing stalk territory. Maybe locally during that time, but not nationally.

And certainly never again.