• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2nd Round: Cleveland Cavs vs Toronto Raptors

Who wins? How many games?

• Cavs in 5 or less.

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Raptors in 5 or less.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Cavs in 6 or 7.

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Raptors in 6 or 7.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Potato Salad.

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the Cavs defense against the Raptors was great. Trapping Lowry and DeRozan at every opportunity was a great strategy for this team and it was executed very well. Its not an easy defense to run, takes a lot of concentration and running from all 5 guys on defense and for the most part, the Cavs rotations and recoveries were really good. I really think the week of practice paid off here.

Now, that defensive strategy won't work against the Warriors, if anything they want you to load up. They thrive on moving the ball to the open man. But Lue obviously knows that and we'll just have to wait and see what the Cavs decide to do if the matchup does happen. But this was at least one example of the coaching staff coming up with a good defensive plan and the players executing it very well.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the Cavs defense against the Raptors was great. Trapping Lowry and DeRozan at every opportunity was a great strategy for this team and it was executed very well. Its not an easy defense to run, takes a lot of concentration and running from all 5 guys on defense and for the most part, the Cavs rotations and recoveries were really good. I really think the week of practice paid off here.

Now, that defensive strategy won't work against the Warriors, if anything they want you to load up. They thrive on moving the ball to the open man. But Lue obviously knows that and we'll just have to wait and see what the Cavs decide to do if the matchup does happen. But this was at least one example of the coaching staff coming up with a good defensive plan and the players executing it very well.

I wouldn't call it great defense, but it was a good plan that worked. They really only had 1 game of the 4 where the defense was great. Otherwise the Raptors averaged about 103 points per game. That was a little better than their regular season defense, but not great.

I agree that the same plan won't work against the Warriors. Their ball movement is too good and the Cavs will wear themselves out chasing it if they try that or have to live with guys getting open shots and hope they miss. Basically, with the Raptors if you can control DeRozan and Lowry, you have a great chance to beat them because they really don't have much else.

Not sure what the Cavs can do against the Warriors. Maybe play man to man and switch everything? The Cavs definitely are athletic enough to do that.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call it great defense, but it was a good plan that worked. They really only had 1 game of the 4 where the defense was great. Otherwise the Raptors averaged about 103 points per game. That was a little better than their regular season defense, but not great.

I agree that the same plan won't work against the Warriors. Their ball movement is too good and the Cavs will wear themselves out chasing it if they try that or have to live with guys getting open shots and hope they miss. Basically, with the Raptors if you can control DeRozan and Lowry, you have a great chance to beat them because they really don't have much else.

Not sure what the Cavs can do against the Warriors. Maybe play man to man and switch everything? The Cavs definitely are athletic enough to do that.

Yeah, I agree. Best option with the Warriors is to play them straight up. Try to force them into as much isolation and 1-on-1 scoring as possible. The addition of Durant makes this tougher, because he has no problem scoring 1-on-1 - and the Warriors are still going to find a way to throw the ball around and make their offense work - but its the best option.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/07/...ers-playoffs-lebron-toronto-raptors.html?_r=0

But there were stretches of the regular season — long stretches, in fact — when they looked mortal. They lost 13 of their final 22 games — and the conference’s top seed, to the Celtics.

“We’re healthy,” James said. “We got more practice time during the playoffs than we did the whole month of March because of injuries and because we were on the road so much.”

At the same time, their struggles turned out to be irrelevant. At practice, Coach Tyronn Lue was developing defensive schemes that he would not reveal until the playoffs. He was also working to incorporate midseason acquisitions like Kyle Korver, who wound up demoralizing the Raptors from 3-point range. On Sunday, he scored 18 points off the bench.

as i said the whole time: injuries, lack of practice time, incorporating new players into the fold--- as soon as they got healthy and got some practice they would be fine. ;)

Last edited:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is a funny stat

CAvs lost 13 of their final 22 games of the regular season.

and like i said

it meant ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING in regards to how they would play in the playoffs..

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/07/...ers-playoffs-lebron-toronto-raptors.html?_r=0

But there were stretches of the regular season — long stretches, in fact — when they looked mortal. They lost 13 of their final 22 games — and the conference’s top seed, to the Celtics.

“We’re healthy,” James said. “We got more practice time during the playoffs than we did the whole month of March because of injuries and because we were on the road so much.”

At the same time, their struggles turned out to be irrelevant. At practice, Coach Tyronn Lue was developing defensive schemes that he would not reveal until the playoffs. He was also working to incorporate midseason acquisitions like Kyle Korver, who wound up demoralizing the Raptors from 3-point range. On Sunday, he scored 18 points off the bench.

as i said the whole time: injuries, lack of practice time, incorporating new players into the fold--- as soon as they got healthy and got some practice they would be fine. ;)

Won't matter in June

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LBJ on the development of THE Kyrie Irving after last nights game-

While this might be James’ peak, at 32 years old and with close to 50,000 minutes played under his belt, he cannot keep this up forever. And while James’ commitment to the game hasn’t waned yet, the fact that he told Cleveland.com this week that he has “nothing left to prove” in his career means he's far closer to the finish line than to the start.

“Kyrie can score on anybody he wants,” James told ESPN. “ANYBODY. On a consistent level. His next growth, which I believe is going to make him a great, an all-time great, is when he can also consistently make other guys around him better. Which he is doing now. This is great to see. It’s always great to be a part of somebody’s maturation process. You know what I’m saying? I love it.”

He is ready, maybe sooner than any of us realize, to turn the keys over to Irving and let someone else drive.

“He's 25?" James said to ESPN. "He's going to be in the position to carry the franchise on his own in his prime."

I still think they can play better and will have to defensively but they have improved vastly

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know a conference sucks when you get a standing ovation for being SWEPT
Basketball fans here are still in some weird spot where they don't question why this team has been together for 4 years and hasn't gotten much better.

That or they solely blame Casey.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
q6CRc69.gif

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is a funny stat

CAvs lost 13 of their final 22 games of the regular season.

and like i said

it meant ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING in regards to how they would play in the playoffs..

But yet you kept saying that the Heat were what theyre overall record was vs what they became when the got healthy.

And as a STH and fan of the game, it does mean something.
Why should fans invest their time and money into something players dont care about?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yet you kept saying that the Heat were what theyre overall record was vs what they became when the got healthy.

Why should fans invest their time and money into something players dont care about?

Hey turnup. I was in Miami this weekend.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is kind of an unfair fight without Lowry.

The Cavaliers side of the bracket might be the weakest collection of teams ever assembled.
The #2 seed in the east was the better pathway by far.

All the semi-competent playoff looking teams (Washington, Bos, Chicago) are on the other side.

I think Memphis or OKC would have swept Indiana and Toronto (without Lowry) as well.
Which is why I think they tanked just enough to give up the 1st seed.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in Ohio.
Mid 40's, never stopped raining.
I kissed the ground when I got home.

I was depressed leaving Miami. Soon as I left the airport early this morning, I felt a cold breeze hit me. Went from mid 80's the last 4 days to 45 degrees last night/early this morning when I arrived at JFK

Reactions: TJL

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was depressed leaving Miami. Soon as I left the airport early this morning, I felt a cold breeze hit me. Went from mid 80's the last 4 days to 45 degrees last night/early this morning when I arrived at JFK
You were in Miami and you didn't call me?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were in Miami and you didn't call me?

lol yeah sorry bro. Next time.

I'm trying to head to Miami 2X per year. Stayed my first night on South Beach then the rest of the trip I was in downtown Miami. Pretty close to the Heat arena actually.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm trying to head to Miami 2X per year. Stayed my first night on South Beach then the rest of the trip I was in downtown Miami. Pretty close to the Heat arena actually.
That's awesome, I'm going later this year for a Dolphins game and my buddy I'm going with is a huge Hurricane fan, so we go to the Hurricanes game that Saturday, then the Phins game that Sunday.

We usually stay with his uncle who owns a place there.

Miami is fun, I like it.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I almost had forgotten how much I hated the cold, but it was good practice.
Going to Alaska in early June.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

its not that the players "dont care"- its that they are doing waht they believe is the best thing to give them the best chance to win.

it became a viscous cycle for the Cavs--- they wanted to cut LeBron's minutes down like thy have the last couple years- but becuase of injuries they couldnt---- and as soon as guys got healthy- they wanted to sit lebron to make up for the large amount of minutes he played---- thus- no one is playing together and no one is on the same page.

As i said all along--- just get LeBron and the guys on the floor together with some practice time- and this will all sort itself out. And thats exactly waht happened. I mean it was common sense if you ask me.

of course a team is going to struggle when they have multiple guys missing time- and then as soon as those guys get back- the team rests lebron and or kyrie or whoever to make up for the large minutes they played

now?

plenty of practice time, everyone is healthy. Its why they are playing better. not because tehy magically realized how to play defense again.