• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2nd Round: Boston Celtics vs Washington Wizards

Who ya got

• Celtics in 4 or 5

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Celtics in 6 or 7

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Wiz in 4 or 5

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Wiz in 6 or 7

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you guys are trying to turn this into some dictionary debate about what defines a superstar ...

when all i was saying is that i think he has the skills to develop into an above average player

by your definition i suppose reggie miller would not be considered a superstar.

but there were in fact games where he single handily took over games.

so is there a threshold for how many game they have to take over before achieving superstar status ?

there is no right or wrong answer here ...

its subjective

but I can honestly say that i do not think in the last 50 years there has been as many superstars in the league as there are today. Usually it is 2-4.

this generation has nothing on the level of talent from the 80s with Olajuwon, Magic, Bird, Drexler, Wilkins, Jordan, Ewing, Kareem.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3.1% senior high school players (less than 1 in 35) end up on teams in college. 1.2%senior basketball players in college (1 in 75) are drafted by a National Basketball Association team. .03% of high school basketball players (3 in 10,000) will eventually be drafted by an NBA team.

if you can achieve ALL of that ... and then be considered above average compared to your peers ... that makes you a superstar in my book.

that dude walks out onto the court where you guys are running a game ... and tell him to his face he is not good enough to be on your list, lol

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3.1% senior high school players (less than 1 in 35) end up on teams in college. 1.2%senior basketball players in college (1 in 75) are drafted by a National Basketball Association team. .03% of high school basketball players (3 in 10,000) will eventually be drafted by an NBA team.

if you can achieve ALL of that ... and then be considered above average compared to your peers ... that makes you a superstar in my book.

that dude walks out onto the court where you guys are running a game ... and tell him to his face he is not good enough to be on your list, lol

So every player that makes it to the NBA is already a super star? Do you also believe that every kid that plays an organized sport deserves a trophy, regardless of where their team finishes?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you guys are trying to turn this into some dictionary debate about what defines a superstar ...

when all i was saying is that i think he has the skills to develop into an above average player

so is there a threshold for how many game they have to take over before achieving superstar status ?

its subjective

this generation has nothing on the level of talent from the 80s with Olajuwon, Magic, Bird, Drexler, Wilkins, Jordan, Ewing, Kareem.

You're a super star where you're constantly compared to the all-time greats - Magic, Kareem, Bird, etc....

Reggie Miller was a star player, guys like him will take over games sometimes. But he's not a super star. And Porter's not even an all-star player.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully the Celtics can take care of business tonight.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully the Celtics can take care of business tonight.

what's the old saying? it ain't a series til one team wins on the road? all the Celtics are doing is holding sway on their home floor so far(which btw is good for them)...

lose tonight you lose HC advantage...

no pressure, though...:heh:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's the old saying? it ain't a series til one team wins on the road? all the Celtics are doing is holding sway on their home floor so far(which btw is good for them)...

lose tonight you lose HC advantage...

no pressure, though...:heh:

Celtics got this. I hope.:hope:

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're a super star where you're constantly compared to the all-time greats - Magic, Kareem, Bird, etc....

Reggie Miller was a star player, guys like him will take over games sometimes. But he's not a super star. And Porter's not even an all-star player.

again this is all subjective ...

but if i had to label/categorize players into 3 different tiers

tier 1: all players who make it to the NBA are "star players"

tier 2: all above average players in the NBA are "super star players"

tier 3: all time great above average players in the NBA are "Hall of Fame Players"

by that standard Miller would be considered tier 3 because he is in the Hall of Fame

Last edited:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again this is all subjective ...

but if i had to label/categorize players into 3 different tiers

tier 1: all players who make it to the NBA are "star players"

tier 2: all above average players in the NBA are "super star players"

tier 3: all time great above average players in the NBA are "Hall of Fame Players"

by that standard Miller would be considered tier 3 because he is in the Hall of Fame

It actually isn't. When you categorize NBA players, you compare them with one another then not every player is a start player.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It actually isn't. When you categorize NBA players, you compare them with one another then not every player is a start player.

i think the difference here is you're grading NBA players in a vacuum

while i am comparing them to the general public, the euros, the d-leaguers, college hoops etc.

3 in 10,000 high school players make it to the pros ...

you think they all stop playing pick up games & just retire ?

Last edited:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

while i am comparing them to the general public, the euros, the d-leaguers, college hoops etc.

Jesus Christ..........

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jesus Christ..........

i didnt start this conversation ... i was just trying to say how much I like Oubre and everyone wanted to start playing dictionary detective about words definitions

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i didnt start this conversation ... i was just trying to say how much I like Oubre and everyone wanted to start playing dictionary detective about words definitions

I'll just start calling John Wall a scrub then, if you don't mind. I mean, we'll just be playing dictionary detective then.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok.

I think everyone here is aware that all NBA players are great basketball players. The NBA is hands down the most difficult American pro sport league to get into due to comparatively small roster sizes and the popularity of the sport.

That said, a star player is one who stands out. An NBA star is a player who stands out against his peers in the NBA, not some schmuck at the local Y.

Yes, just about every NBA player was a star at some point in their careers, so if you want to call them all BASKETBALL stars, that is okay. But, there is a difference between a star basketball player and an NBA star. The latter assumes NBA competition.

There are some subjective points to who earns superstar status and what not, but for the most part basketball people have universally defined the term and it is nothing remotely close to your definition. there are many HOF players who were not superstars, so I apologize if I was a little sloppy with my explanation earlier.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

its subjective

Maybe not, but Drexler was never a superstar and Olajuwon wasn't one at the same time Magic and Bird were.

The reason so many players are superstars today, IMO, is because of the individually focused offensive game plans that funnel everything through one player that some teams are employing (Rockets, Thunder, etc.). Also the Warriors fun and engaging style has propelled Curry. That makes those stars more marketable even if they are not as good as the true superstars (LeBron, KD, Kawhi). Yes, marketability and popularity are part of the equation.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok.

There are some subjective points to who earns superstar status and what not, but for the most part basketball people have universally defined the term and it is nothing remotely close to your definition. there are many HOF players who were not superstars, so I apologize if I was a little sloppy with my explanation earlier.

the problem is with the NBA Hall of Fame not being an exclusive club for the very best of the best.

But, thats not my fault.

You have players like Kevin Johnson, Mark Price, Chris Webber, John Starks, Sean Kemp ... who I would consider had the career of a superstar player.

But not Hall of Fame worthy.

By your definition they were just another guy on the roster ?

We can agree to disagree about what is considered to be universally accepted definition

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem is with the NBA Hall of Fame not being an exclusive club for the very best of the best.

But, thats not my fault.

You have players like Kevin Johnson, Mark Price, Chris Webber, John Starks, Sean Kemp ... who I would consider had the career of a superstar player.

But not Hall of Fame worthy.

By your definition they were just another guy on the roster ?

We can agree to disagree about what is considered to be universally accepted definition

No those guys were all stars.

SUperstars are players who stand out among the other stars. The very top of the food chain. The super elite.

You want to see universally accepted?

GOogle "what makes an NBA superstar" and read about it. Don't just take the word of everyone here.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I did say among basketball people. That is an important distinction.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GOogle "what makes an NBA superstar" and read about it. Don't just take the word of everyone here.

the first two results, sbnation & bleacher report, I wont accept as they're blogs sites

but we can use the 3rd result

Putting the NBA's stars into tiers: There aren't many true superstars

he breaks the term "superstar" itself down into tiers.

which using that definition ... its not out of the realm of possibility Oubre could fall into that last category ... seeing as he was a first round pick.

this whole conversation is so dumb ... i was just saying i like the kid. :gaah:

Last edited: