• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2nd Round: Boston Celtics vs Washington Wizards

Who ya got

• Celtics in 4 or 5

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Celtics in 6 or 7

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Wiz in 4 or 5

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Wiz in 6 or 7

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but at least the Celtics have a bench. So their starters should at least have gotten regular rest. If the Wizards had somehow won, they'd be coming in completely gassed.

Yeah, the first layoff was long and the Cavs came out firing on all cylinders. This layoff was even longer though, so rust could be an issue. The question will be if the Celtics can take advantage and steal game 1. If they can, I think we see a 6 game series.

If not, it will be over in 5 at most.
its hilarious though isnt it- completely true though--- if the Celtics- the #1 seed and hometeam- win game 1- they will have "stolen it".

its why i thought the Cavs being vulnerable was hilarious.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its hilarious though isnt it- completely true though--- if the Celtics- the #1 seed and hometeam- win game 1- they will have "stolen it".

Everyone knows the score...

Cleveland coasted at times through the regular season, and missed out on the #1 seed as a result. But the Cavs are the clear favorite, and yes: any win for Boston is a "stolen" win against a LeBron led club.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's how it is when you have Lebron though. You end up with the HCA team looking to steal games on their own homecourt. I don't like the guy, but that doesn't change the fact that he's the best in the game.

I don't think you truly understood what was meant by the Cavs being vulnerable. The defense they played all season long and really, throughout the playoffs minus one, maybe 2 games, made them vulnerable. Not necessarily in the East because, as was pointed out, they are good enough to simply outscore everyone in the East. So really, all that it meant as far as the East was that they could have series extended. So far though, outside of the Pacer, no one seems to want to fight them and the Pacers just didn't have near enough talent.

However, if they bring that same level of defense against a healthy Warriors or Spurs...it could be a short series because they can't just simply outscore those teams. If they want to win another title, they have to get their defense back to at least close to what they played last year. Imo, their defense is what won them the title last year. They were ridiculous defensively last year.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knows the score...

Cleveland coasted at times through the regular season, and missed out on the #1 seed as a result. But the Cavs are the clear favorite, and yes: any win for Boston is a "stolen" win against a LeBron led club.
i mean- i thought that was abundantly clear as well.

I mean- the best evidence is the Cavs longest winning streaks the last 2 seasons were IN THE PLAYOFFS.

What kind of team has their longest winning streak of the season IN THE PLAYOFFS! lol.....not only THIS season, but last season as well.

i mean- if there is one cold hard black and white fact that showed you how seriously they take the regular season- thats it. When your LONGEST winning streak of the season is in the playoffs- when its supposed to be the toughest- its exceedingly evident that they flip a switch once the postseason starts.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's how it is when you have Lebron though. You end up with the HCA team looking to steal games on their own homecourt. I don't like the guy, but that doesn't change the fact that he's the best in the game.

I don't think you truly understood what was meant by the Cavs being vulnerable. The defense they played all season long and really, throughout the playoffs minus one, maybe 2 games, made them vulnerable. Not necessarily in the East because, as was pointed out, they are good enough to simply outscore everyone in the East. So really, all that it meant as far as the East was that they could have series extended. So far though, outside of the Pacer, no one seems to want to fight them and the Pacers just didn't have near enough talent.

However, if they bring that same level of defense against a healthy Warriors or Spurs...it could be a short series because they can't just simply outscore those teams. If they want to win another title, they have to get their defense back to at least close to what they played last year. Imo, their defense is what won them the title last year. They were ridiculous defensively last year.
well- if i remember correctly- and id be 100% willing to find the posts- you thought there lack of defense in the regular season would translate/result in them losing extra games in the East- more so then in previous years- thus hurting their ability to rest.

thus far that has not happened AT ALL. Right?

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats Celtics.

Wizards have to figure out a way to dump Mahinmi The guy was hurt most of the season, contributed next to nothing, will be 31 next season & made almost $16M. I realize that he had somewhat of a breakout season prior to the in Indiana but that now appears to have been more of a fluke.

That money can certainly be better spent. Their bench scored 5 pts last nt while one sub on Boston scored 26. That is unacceptable. I sure hope that they can get rid of this guy somehow (but doubt it).

It was a great series, and both teams walk away winners. John Wall and Bradley beal played great, but no one around them showed up. And in the 4th, the Celtics focused on those two, using young players and rookies like Jaylen, Terry, Marcus and Kelly. The story of the series was Brad using his bench and the Wiz had none.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a great series, and both teams walk away winners. John Wall and Bradley beal played great, but no one around them showed up. And in the 4th, the Celtics focused on those two, using young players and rookies like Jaylen, Terry, Marcus and Kelly. The story of the series was Brad using his bench and the Wiz had none.

I disagree a little bit. In Game 7, both Porter and Morris contributed -- but it wasn't enough.

Wiz have to upgrade their bench ... and figure out if Porter is part of their long-term future.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just leave this here:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well- if i remember correctly- and id be 100% willing to find the posts- you thought there lack of defense in the regular season would translate/result in them losing extra games in the East- more so then in previous years- thus hurting their ability to rest.

thus far that has not happened AT ALL. Right?

Yes, I said it could cost them some games in the East if it didn't improve. I also said that they were good enough to just outscore the rest of the East to get to the finals...which is exactly what they've done.

They had a couple of close calls vs. the Pacers, but so far, their defense hasn't hurt them as badly as I thought it might. The potential problem that presents in the finals, is that they could go into the finals thinking that will work for them against the Warriors or Spurs.

Their defense was slightly better vs. the Raptors than vs. the Pacers, so maybe they continue that trend and play even better defense vs. the Celtics? If so, then maybe they will get it back to where it was last year by the time they get to the finals. Anything less though, and I think it could be a short series.

Do you think they can continue to go "D'Antoni style" and win the title by just outscoring the Warriors or Spurs?

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty entertaining series. Beal's flopping during that game was hilarious.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pair of loud mouth morons---

“It seems like the teams that are home now want to start talking,” Jefferson said, according to James Herbert of CBS Sports. “Dion Waiters was saying nobody wanted to see the Miami Heat, nobody wants to see the Miami Heat. Then Bradley Beal says nobody wants to (see the Wizards). Well, if no one does, then show up. If you get there, then prove it.”

Jefferson continued: “Bradley’s a great young player, he’s going to have a great career in front of him, but don’t talk about teams that didn’t want to see you when you’re out of the playoffs. It makes absolutely no sense. A team that has now won 10 in a row in the playoffs, the defending champions. They didn’t want to see you, but you didn’t get out of the second round? It makes headlines, but how does that make sense? … He wouldn’t say that before the series if he was going against Bron (James). He can say it now that he’s out of harm’s way.”

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pair of loud mouth morons---

“It seems like the teams that are home now want to start talking,” Jefferson said, according to James Herbert of CBS Sports. “Dion Waiters was saying nobody wanted to see the Miami Heat, nobody wants to see the Miami Heat. Then Bradley Beal says nobody wants to (see the Wizards). Well, if no one does, then show up. If you get there, then prove it.”

Jefferson continued: “Bradley’s a great young player, he’s going to have a great career in front of him, but don’t talk about teams that didn’t want to see you when you’re out of the playoffs. It makes absolutely no sense. A team that has now won 10 in a row in the playoffs, the defending champions. They didn’t want to see you, but you didn’t get out of the second round? It makes headlines, but how does that make sense? … He wouldn’t say that before the series if he was going against Bron (James). He can say it now that he’s out of harm’s way.”

Agree with Jefferson. Did anyone want to see the Heat with the way they were playing before Waiters got hurt towards the end of the season? Probably not. No one really wants to play a hot team in the first round (or any round) if they can avoid it. But, if you don't make it so you can prove it, you need keep your mouth shut. Otherwise your just the loud mouthed kid on the playground saying that you'd have "kicked that guys ass if the teacher hadn't shown up to stop the fight."

As for Beal...your team made the playoffs, you lost in 7 games to a team that is currently being curbstomped...what makes you think your team would be doing any better?