• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

21-22 Season - Jekyll or Hyde ?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fletcher's press conference yesterday made me feel a little better about things. I think the awful run from January to the end of the season must have opened their eyes a little bit. Much more measured approach to yesterday than the January presser where "aggressive retool" and "not looking at a 3 or 4 year process" etc. Compared it to the 2019 offseason, which wasn't an "all in" type of offseason that January seemed to hint at.

Charlie's article was good today: What makes sense and what doesn't from Flyers' offseason plan

on 2019 offseason: It definitely was “aggressive,” in the sense that Fletcher made quite a few moves. He hired Alain Vigneault, the second-biggest available coaching name on the market that summer after Joel Quenneville. He traded for Kevin Hayes’ rights, and then locked him up to a seven-year, $50 million contract to address the team’s gaping hole at 2C. He swapped Radko Gudas for Matt Niskanen in a hockey trade meant to give the team a veteran, first-pair RHD. He acquired Justin Braun for second- and third-round picks to further beef up the right side of the defense and picked up Tyler Pitlick in a deal with Dallas. Then, on draft day, he traded down from No. 11 to No. 14 (taking Cam York) in the first round, picking up an extra second-round pick in the process, which was used to nab Bobby Brink.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also said they were counting on the top 5 pick from this year to be a potential difference maker for them down the line, indicating they plan on using that pick.

So, even if the more measured plan bombs like most of us expect it to, it won't do as much long term damage as I was preparing myself for based on the January press conference.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they go free agent shopping for a top 6 guy, a la Hayes in 2019, it would most likely be a winger based on other comments. Gaudreau, Forsberg, E. Kane, Nichuskin, Burakovsky, and Rust are probably the cream of the free agent crop. Will be interesting to see if Gaudreau/Forsberg actually get to free agency.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they go free agent shopping for a top 6 guy, a la Hayes in 2019, it would most likely be a winger based on other comments. Gaudreau, Forsberg, E. Kane, Nichuskin, Burakovsky, and Rust are probably the cream of the free agent crop. Will be interesting to see if Gaudreau/Forsberg actually get to free agency.
Big no on E Kane, dude is a cancer in any locker room and as a player in general.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know i will get push back on this but i dont want Gaudreau. He's coming off of a contract career year in which hes had the highest goal and point total of his career by far. In layman's terms it will cost a boat load of money to sign him and if history prevails his contribution will not match his contract.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know i will get push back on this but i dont want Gaudreau. He's coming off of a contract career year in which hes had the highest goal and point total of his career by far. In layman's terms it will cost a boat load of money to sign him and if history prevails his contribution will not match his contract.

I'm actually with you on that. It'd be fun and exciting, but for the exact same reasons you list I'd be pretty concerned about that deal working out. I think that's the kind of deal that maybe helps in first year or two, but hurts more than it helps after that. Which is totally counter to what the Flyers should be doing.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Athletic: Our team next season before any moves are made;

View attachment 295637

Pretty sad state considering the cap as well. Just far too much in the 2nd/3rd line caliber and not enough in the 1st/2nd line. And no money to address it. Barring big jumps from guys like TK/Farabee/Tippett, or really smart trades like Charlie alluded to in the article that steal guys from teams right before they break out; the only path to filling that many openings at the top of the lineup with as little cap space as they have, is the draft. Which takes time.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re entirely missing the Flyer’s philosophy. Buy high, sell low.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite all of the current negativity, there really is a lot of potential yet with this roster. It's a little early to be labeling guys like Farabee, Tippett, Allison, Frost, Sanheim, York etc. 3rd line, 3rd pair or not even Nhl players.

I suppose Carter Hart will just be a career below average goalie too or perhaps a non-Nhler?

People like Lasgop admit that we were without our top two centers and top defenseman for most of the season and yet they want to sell the entire team and start over.

Get everyone healthy, make some wise decisions at the draft and in free agency and we can have a good team that is working toward being great.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite all of the current negativity, there really is a lot of potential yet with this roster. It's a little early to be labeling guys like Farabee, Tippett, Allison, Frost, Sanheim, York etc. 3rd line, 3rd pair or not even Nhl players.

I suppose Carter Hart will just be a career below average goalie too or perhaps a non-Nhler?

People like Lasgop admit that we were without our top two centers and top defenseman for most of the season and yet they want to sell the entire team and start over.

Get everyone healthy, make some wise decisions at the draft and in free agency and we can have a good team that is working toward being great.
I thought you blocked me clown. How could you know what I'm posting if I'm blocked?

Pretty sad that you are back to stalking me. You're a tool!! :nod:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, look out for Foerster and Tuomaala. These two kids could be the snipers we've been waiting years to see in a Flyer uniform.