• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Patriots Draft Thread

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's being overlooked. Just that he's not being discussed with the top 3. Most people in here think anyone below them is not worth the time to discuss.

I think taking a QB with #3 is stupid unless they sign Owenu and Jonah Williams in FA. If they have a two solid tackles with Reif and Anderson backing up and Strange and Sow at OG, then taking one of Williams, Daniels or Maye at #3 might be okay. I say might. Why did Mac drop to 15? Whay wasn't he snatched prior? Same for whoever drops to #3. Whay wasn't he taken at5 #1 or #2? I hate the idea of taking anyone who "falls" to the Patriots. They are there because others know something, saw something or really dislike something about the guy who 'fell'.

I'd prefer that they trade out if the QB at #3 is NOT the guy they wanted. Don't feel that you HAVE to take anyone because everyone else thinks you should. Hell. Tell Arizona that you're taking MHJ or trading the pick to someone who will. Demand #4 and #27 or watch him slip away. Then trade the #4 to a QB starved team who wants the leftover QB and stock up on second or third round picks and a future first round.

Then get the QB you like and/or the best WR available. You don't have to finish the dinner off someone else's plate.
Conversely grabbing what the scouts see as a franchise QB make sense especially when you look at next years class. The question becomes after the top three how far is the drop off? I don't feel Mac fell to 15 I think that's about where he should have been selected and likely where McCarthy will be selected. I feel if the one of the top 3 QBS are there you better grab one, today's mobile QBs have changed the dynamic of the game and can make a huge difference. Perhaps you can grab a mobile QB and OTs later in the draft round two and three?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps you can grab a mobile QB and OTs later in the draft round two and three?
Makes one wonder. The entire class of 2021 QBs has pretty much been a bust. Maybe Trevor Lawrence isn't but he's barely in the top 15 or so.

If one of the top three is above the norm and the Patriots get him, then protecting him when he drops back is even more critical. If he has scramble out of trouble 1 out of every 3 or 4 drop backs, then that's a problem for him and the team. I know we're not experts, but the OL is so critical to success that the Patriots can't ignore the problem they have with their's.

Before we can even begin to think about the draft, I think that they have to show us that they have their heads on straight when signing free agents. If they bolster the OL and pick up a couple of quality pieces at WR and resign Henry, then drafting a QB with #3 will be a must. If they sign Mayfield or Brissett then we know that they will be looking at MHJ or even Bower. What they do in free agency will tell us outright what the plan is for the draft.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The choice was Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning that year. Leaf was expected to be a monster Marino. IMO, Leaf probably had one of the highest expectations only to be one of the biggest failures ever.

Some kids can handle the pressure and throw the ball, some kids can throw the ball.
Leaf was always lazy. Thats why teams do those personality questionings.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conversely grabbing what the scouts see as a franchise QB make sense especially when you look at next years class. The question becomes after the top three how far is the drop off? I don't feel Mac fell to 15 I think that's about where he should have been selected and likely where McCarthy will be selected. I feel if the one of the top 3 QBS are there you better grab one, today's mobile QBs have changed the dynamic of the game and can make a huge difference. Perhaps you can grab a mobile QB and OTs later in the draft round two and three?

Makes one wonder. The entire class of 2021 QBs has pretty much been a bust. Maybe Trevor Lawrence isn't but he's barely in the top 15 or so.

If one of the top three is above the norm and the Patriots get him, then protecting him when he drops back is even more critical. If he has scramble out of trouble 1 out of every 3 or 4 drop backs, then that's a problem for him and the team. I know we're not experts, but the OL is so critical to success that the Patriots can't ignore the problem they have with their's.

Before we can even begin to think about the draft, I think that they have to show us that they have their heads on straight when signing free agents. If they bolster the OL and pick up a couple of quality pieces at WR and resign Henry, then drafting a QB with #3 will be a must. If they sign Mayfield or Brissett then we know that they will be looking at MHJ or even Bower. What they do in free agency will tell us outright what the plan is for the draft.
Rumor is the Raiders want to trade down to get Daniels. Trading back to 13 would still leave both McCarthy and Nix and maybe even Penix(although I dont think he has the drive to win at the pro level). And a shit ton of extra picks.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's being overlooked. Just that he's not being discussed with the top 3. Most people in here think anyone below them is not worth the time to discuss.

I think taking a QB with #3 is stupid unless they sign Owenu and Jonah Williams in FA. If they have a two solid tackles with Reif and Anderson backing up and Strange and Sow at OG, then taking one of Williams, Daniels or Maye at #3 might be okay. I say might. Why did Mac drop to 15? Whay wasn't he snatched prior? Same for whoever drops to #3. Whay wasn't he taken at5 #1 or #2? I hate the idea of taking anyone who "falls" to the Patriots. They are there because others know something, saw something or really dislike something about the guy who 'fell'.

I'd prefer that they trade out if the QB at #3 is NOT the guy they wanted. Don't feel that you HAVE to take anyone because everyone else thinks you should. Hell. Tell Arizona that you're taking MHJ or trading the pick to someone who will. Demand #4 and #27 or watch him slip away. Then trade the #4 to a QB starved team who wants the leftover QB and stock up on second or third round picks and a future first round.

Then get the QB you like and/or the best WR available. You don't have to finish the dinner off someone else's plate.
1) Mcarthy isn’t 1st or early 2nd round value.
2) there are QBs worth discussing after 1st 3
3) 1or2 isn’t necessarily better than 3 - panthers say hold my beer
4)panthers know something, saw something, heard something, yada, yada, yada…..

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are there because others know something, saw something or really dislike something about the guy who 'fell'.
You can't live scared. Do your homework and pick who you want.

It's why I don't gamble. I know others are way better than me and I'm ripe to be played. I'm not willing to put in the effort to change that... With the draft, a team better be willing to do ALL the homework and not either guess or respond to actions by other teams (other than changing a pick due to a run on a position of need).

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Mike Reiss, someone slipped yesterday and said that the Patriots were "very" interested in JJ McCarthy because of his physical and mental toughness. Like any media guy, he went hard after confirmation and quotes. While trying to get more about this supposed interest in McCarthy, he came across another little snippet. The Giant have approached Elliott and have actually been seen having cocktails and cheese and crackers at a local bistro. Upon further digging he came away with a possible trade scenario......

Giants get Patriots' 2024 1st round pick and 2024 4th and 2025 4th round pick

Patriots get Giants' 2024 first round pick (#6), two 2024 2nd round picks (#39, #47) and 2024 3rd round pick (70) plus 2025 2nd and 5th

Of course, all subject to change if the Bears trade the #1 and/or Commanders trade #2. Giants must have their eyes on one of the top three QBs and if he's not available, they won't settle for someone else or that someone else won't be worth everything they're willing to give up to get him.

According to Ian Rappaport, Falcons, Raiders and Vikings have also had cocktails with Elliott as have the Bears and Commanders.

Hope Wolfe doesn't drink too many and misunderstands what someone says. Maybe Reiss was in the bistro a bit too long and got his facts thrown in a Ninja Blender.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quote HC Jerod Mayo: Quarterback is the most important position. The quarter touches the ball on every offensive play. The quarterback distributes the ball and controls the tempo of the offense. It's critical the our quarterback can do these things well. (Paraphrased)

When asked if the Patriots would trade the #3, Elliott Wolfe said that everything is being considered. That opened Pandora's Box. Then came all of the follow up questions. Have you been approached? Who approached you? What have they offered? yada yada yada.

Ian Rappaport said on the Combine Show yesterday that the Patriots have been assaulted for the #3 by Atlanta, Minnesota, Las Vegas, New York Giants, Tennessee, Arizona and the New York Jets. The Jets? What can they offer? They have the #10 and nothing else until the fourth round. You know that they would be going for Marvin Harrison. Is he worth first round picks in '24, '25 and '26 as well as more?

You know the Cardinals want Harrison and they could be offering #4 and #27 plus some other picks to prevent the Patriots from giving Harrison to anyone else. f they did trade with the Cardinals, do they use #4 or trade it to the Giants for #6 and two 2nd round picks. That #3 has the media completely wound up across the country as well the Boston media.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the Combine....................Running Backs.

Just saw the perfect sleeper for the 6th or 7th round. Dylan Laube UNH. Ran for 1200+ scored 18 TDs. Here's the thing that caught me. He caught 68 passes in 2023. AND he was #1 in the country as kick returner 31.1 yards average.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this kid might be the next James White. No one knows if Stevenson will be the same. Hope someone is doing their homework. Worst case id that he doesn't get drafted but my guess is that he's already on someone's radar.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just saw the perfect sleeper for the 6th or 7th round. Dylan Laube UNH. Ran for 1200+ scored 18 TDs. Here's the thing that caught me. He caught 68 passes in 2023. AND he was #1 in the country as kick returner 31.1 yards average.

New Hampshire image
Dylan Laube, RB, New Hampshire
Height: 6-1. Weight: 225.
Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
Projected Round (2024): 3-5.

2/24/24: In 2023, Laube averaged 4.5 yards per carry for 715 yards and nine touchdowns. He showed impressive receiving ability as well, recording 68 catches for 699 yards and seven scores. His best season came as a junior, when he averaged 4.9 yards per carry for 1,205 yards and 15 touchdowns. He caught 49 passes that season for 464 yards and two scores too. Laube is put together nicely and could rise if he works out well before the 2024 NFL Draft.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston Herald has been talking to NFL GMs and the majority think Mac Jones might bring a fifth round pick. One Patriots hater said that they would be lucky if they got a sixth.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Mike Reiss, someone slipped yesterday and said that the Patriots were "very" interested in JJ McCarthy because of his physical and mental toughness. Like any media guy, he went hard after confirmation and quotes. While trying to get more about this supposed interest in McCarthy, he came across another little snippet. The Giant have approached Elliott and have actually been seen having cocktails and cheese and crackers at a local bistro. Upon further digging he came away with a possible trade scenario......

Giants get Patriots' 2024 1st round pick and 2024 4th and 2025 4th round pick

Patriots get Giants' 2024 first round pick (#6), two 2024 2nd round picks (#39, #47) and 2024 3rd round pick (70) plus 2025 2nd and 5th

Of course, all subject to change if the Bears trade the #1 and/or Commanders trade #2. Giants must have their eyes on one of the top three QBs and if he's not available, they won't settle for someone else or that someone else won't be worth everything they're willing to give up to get him.

According to Ian Rappaport, Falcons, Raiders and Vikings have also had cocktails with Elliott as have the Bears and Commanders.

Hope Wolfe doesn't drink too many and misunderstands what someone says. Maybe Reiss was in the bistro a bit too long and got his facts thrown in a Ninja Blender.

I know I sound like a broken record here but IMO there is no other option other than taking a hopefully franchise QB with #3. Rumors are that’s what they’ll do and have him likely sit behind a vet for a season and that makes the most sense to me. We have a high pick in the 2nd round as well as tons of cap space for everything else. Take a friggin QB with #3.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agreee with a little home time bias

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I sound like a broken record here but IMO there is no other option other than taking a hopefully franchise QB with #3. Rumors are that’s what they’ll do and have him likely sit behind a vet for a season and that makes the most sense to me. We have a high pick in the 2nd round as well as tons of cap space for everything else. Take a friggin QB with #3.
Everything right now is a broken record..................B-U-T, where there's smoke................................................................

it'll be rumor after rumor, non-stop until April about the first three picks. If there's any truth at all about the Giants giving up #6 and two seconds, if I was in Wolfe's shoes, I'd be peeing my pants. Talk about building up the value of that #3. Then he can sit back and wait and sucker Arizona into giving up #4 and #27 plus a 3rd or 4th telling them that he's trading it for a bundle to someone who wants MHJ. With #4 he gets the QB and might be able to move up and get a WR with #27.

Again, everything depends on how well they spend the money in free agency.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[
Then he can sit back and wait and sucker Arizona into giving up #4 and #27 plus a 3rd or 4th telling them that he's trading it for a bundle to someone who wants MHJ. With #4 he gets the QB and might be able to move up and get a WR with #27.

That would be amazing as long as we get our QB.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be amazing as long as we get our QB.
This where being a real GM makes a person earn his bread. Make everyone think that the pick is going somewhere and get the players moving. If Wolfe plays this for all it's worth, the Patriots get the QB they want at #4 or they deal #4 to the Giants and get the "player" they want at #6 and end up with #27, 39, 47 as the bonus. You know they could deal #6 and still get another 2nd round pick and stay in the top 10.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scary Tuesday.

Patriots formally interviewed just five QBs at the combine. Sources are telling people that the Patriots actually had ZOOM interviews privately with three others.

Here's the scary part. The Patriots' staff have decided that they want someone outside of the top three QB. It is being rumored that they will trade the #3, most likely to the Giants. They will get the #6 and two 2nd round picks as well as 2025 2nd round pick. No one is sure what the trade will actually be.

Those same sources are say that the #6 will be in play. This is where it gets even more scary. The pick will be going to Green Bay. The Patriots will drop to the #26 and get #41 and #58 in Round 2 and the Packers 2nd Round pick in 2025. More than likely the Pack will have to kick in more, possibly 2025 1st Round pick. Again, more speculation

Now comes the terror.

At #26, the Patriots will take Penix or if he's there, Bo Nix. They will then have #34, #39, #41, #47 and #58 in the 2nd Round.

Just how much is horseshit or truth? Makes one wonder if those three ZOOM interviews were a smokescreen or were they meant not to give away what or who the Patriots are really looking at or really want as their next QB? Albert Breer says that he thinks that they have someone who they really want and don't want anyone else looking in that direction.

Who are those other two?

Michael Pratt - Tulane 6'3" 220#
Joe Milton - TENN 6'5" 235

Where there's smoke, there has to be a fire, even a little one.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scary Tuesday.

Patriots formally interviewed just five QBs at the combine. Sources are telling people that the Patriots actually had ZOOM interviews privately with three others.

Here's the scary part. The Patriots' staff have decided that they want someone outside of the top three QB. It is being rumored that they will trade the #3, most likely to the Giants. They will get the #6 and two 2nd round picks as well as 2025 2nd round pick. No one is sure what the trade will actually be.

Those same sources are say that the #6 will be in play. This is where it gets even more scary. The pick will be going to Green Bay. The Patriots will drop to the #26 and get #41 and #58 in Round 2 and the Packers 2nd Round pick in 2025. More than likely the Pack will have to kick in more, possibly 2025 1st Round pick. Again, more speculation

Now comes the terror.

At #26, the Patriots will take Penix or if he's there, Bo Nix. They will then have #34, #39, #41, #47 and #58 in the 2nd Round.

Just how much is horseshit or truth? Makes one wonder if those three ZOOM interviews were a smokescreen or were they meant not to give away what or who the Patriots are really looking at or really want as their next QB? Albert Breer says that he thinks that they have someone who they really want and don't want anyone else looking in that direction.

Who are those other two?

Michael Pratt - Tulane 6'3" 220#
Joe Milton - TENN 6'5" 235

Where there's smoke, there has to be a fire, even a little one.
I'd be ok with this trade scenario. I'm good with Penix or Nix. Give them a year under a vet.