• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Olympics Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone watched on Peacock? I'm definitely enjoying the multiview channels.
I usually don't like multiview.

So I've stuck to broadcast channels for basketball.

I've watched other events on Peacock.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's behind Tatum though. He was nailed to that bench in the first game too. Once they figure out KD's minutes and rotation spot things should smooth out. Embiid probably shouldn't be starting, or at least they need to stop forcing the ball through him to start the game. It's just clunky and stops the ball.
But Haliburton is a guard. Tatum is a forward. I think there's a bigger logjam at forward.

There's probably minutes there at guard for Haliburton. Especially PG.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did the 2004 basketball team only have 1 All-NBA player, Tim Duncan?

While I like how some future All-Stars were there in LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Carmelo Anthony, as well as Carlos Boozer, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Jason Kidd, Shaquille O'Neal, Sam Cassell, Tracy McGrady, Jermaine O'Neal, Baron Davis, Ron Artest, or Michael Redd could have played.

I'm excluding Ben Wallace because I think you need more offense in this tournament, and I don't think there would be enough time to develop the defensive identity that would suit Wallace's game.

While I remember the 2002 FIBA team finishing 6th, I didn't remember that the 2019 FIBA team finished 7th. Wow.

If I do the same exercise, for # of All-NBA players:

2002:

3 All-NBA players, all from the 3rd team. (Ben Wallace, Paul Pierce, Jermaine O'Neal).

2019:

1 All-NBA player (Kemba Walker, 3rd team).

Paul George was even first team that year. But he didn't play on the 2019 FIBA team.

Seems like Lillard only played in the 2021 Olympics.

DeMarcus Cousins was on the 2016 Olympics team? I don't remember that. He probably barely got minutes, which is why I don't remember it.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how the 3v3 basketball are people we've never heard of.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be watching track and field and basketball.

the team is coming together, many have to realize that these guys don't play together and they need a little time to gel. I think they've gotten there. that being said, I will never understand how any of these other countries can even come close to hanging with the USA in basketball. just seems like the USA should be lightyears advanced. this really is a pretty good group (you could make an argument that 2-3 could be replaced with a couple stars not playing). but this team, and other past teams, keep in mind we have had stars sitting at home that decided not to play. we have sent many very 2nd rate teams to the olympics the past 20-25 years because our top shelf ballers decided to sit on the couch. seems like this didn't happen this year, thank God. and it was odd as hell Tatum sitting on the bench in game 1 with the lame excuses coming out as to why, but the real reason came out............ Kerr and Tatum got into a yelling match. was dumb as hell having Tatum not play 1 min. in game 1.

and about the medal count. USA is weak as hell in gold. but no one comes in better than the USA than 2nd and 3rd place!!! woohoo! lmao. YAY, they have the most medals :rolleyes2: , but it raises an eyebrow when china has double our gold.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Haliburton is a guard. Tatum is a forward. I think there's a bigger logjam at forward.

There's probably minutes there at guard for Haliburton. Especially PG.

I don't think it really matters that much. They cleared minutes for them by benching Embiid. Shorten one rotation and guys fall into new roles at other positions. Bam went from playing with AD to playing when AD was off the court more, another forward gets more minutes as a result. 3 guard lineups when appropriate (depending on matchups), etc.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did the 2004 basketball team only have 1 All-NBA player, Tim Duncan?

While I like how some future All-Stars were there in LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Carmelo Anthony, as well as Carlos Boozer, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Jason Kidd, Shaquille O'Neal, Sam Cassell, Tracy McGrady, Jermaine O'Neal, Baron Davis, Ron Artest, or Michael Redd could have played.

I'm excluding Ben Wallace because I think you need more offense in this tournament, and I don't think there would be enough time to develop the defensive identity that would suit Wallace's game.

While I remember the 2002 FIBA team finishing 6th, I didn't remember that the 2019 FIBA team finished 7th. Wow.

If I do the same exercise, for # of All-NBA players:

2002:

3 All-NBA players, all from the 3rd team. (Ben Wallace, Paul Pierce, Jermaine O'Neal).

2019:

1 All-NBA player (Kemba Walker, 3rd team).

Paul George was even first team that year. But he didn't play on the 2019 FIBA team.

Seems like Lillard only played in the 2021 Olympics.

DeMarcus Cousins was on the 2016 Olympics team? I don't remember that. He probably barely got minutes, which is why I don't remember it.

Teams really are helped by having guys that will play within their roles and do the dirty work without demanding touches (whether directly or by reputation). That's why White is so key with this team, even though people were butt-hurt that his teammate Jaylen Brown didn't get that spot when Kawhi bowed out.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serbia controlled almost all of the game. Surprised they didn't win.

Good comeback. A 7 game series between Serbia and USA would probably be good. It might not be a long series, but each game would probably be good.

I still think Haliburton would be useful in some lineups. These are 12 of the best American players in the league. There are no bad players.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm watching the B-girls breaking finals.

I like it.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first quarter of the gold medal game was fun.

Both teams were aggressive.

LeBron with a block, and behind the back pass.

Wembanyama with scoring.

I didn't realize Wembanyama was averaging a double double for the Olympic games, with rebounds. Nor 2+ steals and 2+ blocks. That was heading into today. Not sure if those averages still hold true after today's game.

The French player who dunked on LeBron was a cool moment too.

I liked Curry's rainbow shot near the end of the game, as well as the steal he had.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James with a double double in assists. What do you think @MHSL82?

What did you think of the game overall?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure I liked or agreed with Dwayne Wade's broadcasting call, that Anthony Edwards was giving Gobert "some Timberwolf love".

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James with a double double in assists. What do you think @MHSL82?

What did you think of the game overall?

I didn’t see any of the game, I just saw a headline about Steph Curry having a good fourth-quarter to put the game away and how the lead shrank in the fourth. I like assists, I don’t know if he got them because he saw the floor well or he had the ball all the time with it being his last game in the Olympics and when we score less than 100 and barely win, I don’t know if it’s fewer minutes or if the defense is better or both. But one thing people need to remember is that it’s not the NBA versus other teams, it is USA versus other teams, and so other teams have good players, too, from the NBA.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t see any of the game, I just saw a headline about Steph Curry having a good fourth-quarter to put the game away and how the lead shrank in the fourth. I like assists, I don’t know if he got them because he saw the floor well or he had the ball all the time with it being his last game in the Olympics and when we score less than 100 and barely win, I don’t know if it’s fewer minutes or if the defense is better or both. But one thing people need to remember is that it’s not the NBA versus other teams, it is USA versus other teams, and so other teams have good players, too, from the NBA.
James was the one with the assists. He saw got them because he saw the floor well.

He had Curry had a two man game at times. Cool to see, because we've never really seen them play together before. All-Star games don't count because they don't run real plays.

I like how other teams have good players. It makes these games much more interesting. We can see a combination of NBA players we know and like on other teams, while also learning about some new ones. Or ones that didn't play much in the NBA before, but could possibly in the future, because of the Olympics.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Chiles won a bronze in the individual floor exercise finals.

At that time, her coach had submitted an appeal that she should have had a higher start value. It was granted, and she got the points she needed to get to 3rd place.

However, a week later, the Court of Arbitration said that her coach submitted the appeal too late. The appeal is supposed to be within 60 seconds. And that their rulings are final and no appeals are allowed.

And that she had to give up her bronze to Romanian Ana-Maria Bărbosu.

Jordan Chiles said why not split the bronze? It's been done before.

USA Gymnastics also says they have video evidence that the appeal occurred within 47 seconds. The Court of Arbitration says all rulings are final, and that they don't consider new evidence.

Now, Romanian Gymnastics Federation is saying split the bronze 3 ways, with Romanian Sabrina Maneca-Voinea being added to the mix. Maneca-Voinea's floor exercise score was also controversial.

USA Gymnastics is going to appeal to the Swiss Federal Tribunal.