• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NBA Draft Thread

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuse me? Oy vey.

And we will see who that player is. You keep thinking this is a generic draft.

The guy drafted at 4 will end up settling in to an 8-10 minute a night back up. This year there’s a better chance that he is out of the league in 4-5 years than he is to be a 30 minute a night starter.

I think Garland’s speed pairs very very well around Wemby. I think that pick and roll pair could be absolutely deadly. It’s the Cavs who won’t see the value of the 4th pick in THIS draft.

And it still doesn’t work like you think it does.

Even if the player doesn’t pan out, the value of the pick is still worth more than a player like Garland who is viewed as expendable given the money he is making and the fact that he is not a star.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does a jaylen brown trade look like

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does a jaylen brown trade look like

Brown is a lot better than Garland.

Probably 3-4 picks and matching salary.

Brown is a 2 way player.

Garland is a 1 way player who is inconsistent offensively. That is not worth $40 million.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it still doesn’t work like you think it does.

Even if the player doesn’t pan out, the value of the pick is still worth more than a player like Garland who is viewed as expendable given the money he is making and the fact that he is not a star.
Again…
1. If you were talking about most other drafts you’d have a point.
2. We are weeks away. Data is being gathered and teams are looking at what’s out there and how they would fit. The guy slotted at 4 on most everyone’s board is not likely to be a guy that anyone would project to be more valuable than the 24 year old Garland.

You continue to say things that would apply to a 2026 or even 2025 pick with loads of possibilities pre lottery draw and a likely better pool of talent to choose from.

The draft is often unknown in terms of how it will play out. The unknown exists on multiple levels. In terms of assessing assets though, the number 4 pick this year has very little.

Even if we grant your point on Garland about salary you’re over paying a successful and useful player on the floor. That’s not as bad as starting yourself on a path to have to overpay a role player because he was over drafted.

I think what you’re saying is that you would take a 5-10% chance that Nerlens Noel is gonna work out this time instead of taking the known entity in Garland. I think the priorities you’re putting on display here are the things that get thrown out there after GMs get fired and people are explaining why they were a failure as a GM.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again…
1. If you were talking about most other drafts you’d have a point.
2. We are weeks away. Data is being gathered and teams are looking at what’s out there and how they would fit. The guy slotted at 4 on most everyone’s board is not likely to be a guy that anyone would project to be more valuable than the 24 year old Garland.

You continue to say things that would apply to a 2026 or even 2025 pick with loads of possibilities pre lottery draw and a likely better pool of talent to choose from.

The draft is often unknown in terms of how it will play out. The unknown exists on multiple levels. In terms of assessing assets though, the number 4 pick this year has very little.

Even if we grant your point on Garland about salary you’re over paying a successful and useful player on the floor. That’s not as bad as starting yourself on a path to have to overpay a role player because he was over drafted.

I think what you’re saying is that you would take a 5-10% chance that Nerlens Noel is gonna work out this time instead of taking the known entity in Garland. I think the priorities you’re putting on display here are the things that get thrown out there after GMs get fired and people are explaining why they were a failure as a GM.

Yes

Every single time.

If I am a rebuilding team, I take the shot on upside over a known commodity making $40 million who is merely a good player.

Going to spend that money better.

And if the pick doesn’t pan out, I am not giving him a big second contract.

And if I do trade 4?

I am getting a player either better or cheaper than. garland.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes

Every single time.

If I am a rebuilding team, I take the shot on upside over a known commodity making $40 million who is merely a good player.

For the next 2-3 years you’re a team struggling to get to the floor with team salary. In 2 years his deal is up. You can resign him then or you can likely do a sign and trade for pieces coming back if Garland pick and roll with Wemby isn’t what I’ve projected it to be.

What are you going to do with this low dollar value 4 pick that isn’t getting a second contract? You’re pretty much stuck with Kris Dunn.

You are suffering from recency bias because the Mitchell Garland pair doesn’t work and it’s been to the detriment of Garland. You’re underselling a 24 year old player.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes

Every single time.

And if I do trade 4?

I am getting a player either better or cheaper than. garland.

Of course we’re saying this and the rockets will be trying to trade 3 for bridges

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course we’re saying this and the rockets will be trying to trade 3 for bridges
Knicks and Sixers are in on that market as well. If Bridges goes it’s an overpay and it’s likely 4 or 5 firsts.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pistons will gladly trade their 5th pick for Garland lol. Flip Ivey then

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pistons will gladly trade their 5th pick for Garland lol. Flip Ivey then

A little different situation than SA

I agree det should be trying to add a vet

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knicks and Sixers are in on that market as well. If Bridges goes it’s an overpay and it’s likely 4 or 5 firsts.

The 3rd overall pick is still worth at least 3 late firsts

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea the fact we are saying Garland isn't worth 1 in a bad draft and the Nets want 4 or 5 for Bridges....

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the next 2-3 years you’re a team struggling to get to the floor with team salary. In 2 years his deal is up. You can resign him then or you can likely do a sign and trade for pieces coming back if Garland pick and roll with Wemby isn’t what I’ve projected it to be.

What are you going to do with this low dollar value 4 pick that isn’t getting a second contract? You’re pretty much stuck with Kris Dunn.

You are suffering from recency bias because the Mitchell Garland pair doesn’t work and it’s been to the detriment of Garland. You’re underselling a 24 year old player.

It is very easy to get to the floor. Sign a free agent in a short deal and overpay him for a year or 2.

If they want Garland, they can get him without giving up 4.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is 24 yr old Garland even a 'vet' really?

I mean…

In the sense that he is already past his rookie contract he is.

And that is the most important factor regarding his trade value.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is very easy to get to the floor. Sign a free agent in a short deal and overpay him for a year or 2.

If they want Garland, they can get him without giving up 4.
That is the new thing.

Bruce Brown did that with Indiana and was dealt.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bronny showed out at the Klutch pro day.

His draft stock is rising over the past month or so. Probably an early to mid 2nd rounder now.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea the fact we are saying Garland isn't worth 1 in a bad draft and the Nets want 4 or 5 for Bridges....

Bridges fits on every team

Every single one

Small guards need a lot of help and protection defensively