• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two in a row bruh.

Same shit different year in the Wemby draft.

Didn’t even know you could fall from 1 to lower than 4. Was listening on the radio and assumed they just screwed up when I heard the news.

Not like I was banking on any at the top saving the dumpster fire I get to watch locally. But this sucks ass.

Twice in a row they've gotten the absolute worst possible result. When you consider they have also fallen in 2 other draft lottos in the last 5 years the odds goes into single digit territory for that to occur.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twice in a row they've gotten the absolute worst possible result. When you consider they have also fallen in 2 other draft lottos in the last 5 years the odds goes into single digit territory for that to occur.
This burns way less than getting second option Thompson instead of the French freak of nature.

But it burns.

Watched zero live basketball after accepting the radio crew didn’t screw up.

Flipped radio to the Tigers being embarrassed by former Tigers and I almost went ahead and picked a favorite EPL club.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they change it last year?

I really don’t remember it before our total effing.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This burns way less than getting second option Thompson instead of the French freak of nature.

But it burns.

Watched zero live basketball after accepting the radio crew didn’t screw up.

Flipped radio to the Tigers being embarrassed by former Tigers and I almost went ahead and picked a favorite EPL club.

Yes last year was way worse.

I was hoping more for 3rd. If Knecht fell to them that would be great but I have a strong feeling the Spurs will take him.

And yea the Tigers are frustrating. Probably a top 7ish future rotation and the bullpen was really good until the last 10 games and they keep stepping on their dick.

The hitting is just wildly inconsistent.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never shoulda tore down the Palace…

They definitely have some bad juju going.

I just hope to God they don't fuck up this extra cap space. This is such a huge offseason with that. I'd rather they kick the can one more year than sign dudes on some bullshit.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They definitely have some bad juju going.

I just hope to God they don't fuck up this extra cap space. This is such a huge offseason with that. I'd rather they kick the can one more year than sign dudes on some bullshit.
Them pulling some Blake Griffin type move seems more likely than I’m comfortable with.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a matter of opinion. None of those guys have really separated themselves from the 21 draft.

"Fortunate"?? Lol dude. They've had horrible horrible lottery luck when you consider as top odds the absolute worst you can fall is 5 and it's happened 2 years in a row. They went from 3 to 6 also and in 2020 they were fully tanking and then covid happened. They went from 5 to 7.

Should they be better? Absolutely. No question. But it's also easier to look brilliant when a guy like Wemby falls in your lap.

I'd be fine with Weaver being fired tomorrow but don't come in here on some trolling shit

My original point was that they've made bad decisions for the last decade. They have. It's too early on Ivey and Thompson, but the early returns on Ivey aren't all that good.

As far as lottery odds, they only had a 14% chance to get the #1 pick from 21-24. Getting it one time I would say is fortunate. The team with the worst record hasn't gotten the #1 pick in like 7 years I think it was. If anything, they're unfortunate to have gotten it in 2021 when there wasn't a true superstar prospect.

I'm not even talking about Wemby falling into their lap. There's a world where they have Haliburton, Mobley, and then assuming their record is better a guy like Jaylen Williams towards the back half of the lottery. They've just made bad decisions for a while now.

And this is probably the first time I've ever been accused of trolling. Lol.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My original point was that they've made bad decisions for the last decade. They have. It's too early on Ivey and Thompson, but the early returns on Ivey aren't all that good.

As far as lottery odds, they only had a 14% chance to get the #1 pick from 21-24. Getting it one time I would say is fortunate. The team with the worst record hasn't gotten the #1 pick in like 7 years I think it was. If anything, they're unfortunate to have gotten it in 2021 when there wasn't a true superstar prospect.

I'm not even talking about Wemby falling into their lap. There's a world where they have Haliburton, Mobley, and then assuming their record is better a guy like Jaylen Williams towards the back half of the lottery. They've just made bad decisions for a while now.

And this is probably the first time I've ever been accused of trolling. Lol.

Hayes over Hali was a terrible pick. No question.

You can't do the "they could've had Jalen Williams" game because no one had him going that high. It's fantastic how he's developed.

I'm not in a place to say Mobley is better. Obviously he is a better defender but on the Pistons it would be lost on how bad the shooting around him would be.

Dropping to 5 2 consecutive years is horrendous luck when you have franchises like the Spurs that have gained 5 times and never lost position.

It's not a matter of getting the top pick it's a matter of going from 1 to 5 twice, 5 to 7 and 3 to 5 in 4 out of 5 years.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright…

Time to say it.

The draft lottery doesn’t work.

Tanking will always be a thing in the NBA. Have to accept it.

I get not wanting to all out reward teams for being terrible, but that is how drafts have been designed for years. If you reward the bad teams for being terrible, in theory they won’t stay terrible for too long.

Problem with the lottery is that that team who should have #1 ends up at #5. They fail to draft that franchise player who can help them turn around and they stay toward the bottom.

Just end this charade already. Draft by record.

If it works in the NFL where a franchise QB has Wemby like value, then it should be good enough for the NBA.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hayes over Hali was a terrible pick. No question.

You can't do the "they could've had Jalen Williams" game because no one had him going that high. It's fantastic how he's developed.

I'm not in a place to say Mobley is better. Obviously he is a better defender but on the Pistons it would be lost on how bad the shooting around him would be.

Dropping to 5 2 consecutive years is horrendous luck when you have franchises like the Spurs that have gained 5 times and never lost position.

It's not a matter of getting the top pick it's a matter of going from 1 to 5 twice, 5 to 7 and 3 to 5 in 4 out of 5 years.

Yeah, if they were drafting at 5 in 22 taking Williams that high isn't likely, but with Haliburton and Mobley, how much better is the record they have? Maybe they are picking in the 8-12 range where it becomes more realistic.

It really comes back to that 2020 pick. Hayes might have been the worst player taken in the 1st round. They haven't recovered since. There were a bunch of really good players taken after him.

Yes, that's terrible luck and unfortunate for them. But getting the #1 pick is also just as fortunate IMO. It's interesting the year they got it, they didn't even have the worst record. The lottery is always fascinating to me.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright…

Time to say it.

I get not wanting to all out reward teams for being terrible, but that is how drafts have been designed for years. If you reward the bad teams for being terrible, in theory they won’t stay terrible for too long.

Problem with the lottery is that that team who should have #1 ends up at #5. They fail to draft that franchise player who can help them turn around and they stay toward the bottom.

If it works in the NFL where a franchise QB has Wemby like value, then it should be good enough for the NBA.

I'm not sure why we messed with the lottery so bad in the first place. Because Philly utilized it to get better? Don't we want better teams and less mediocrity

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright…

Time to say it.

I don’t know why but it is just harder to tank in football?

Injuries?

But you don’t see teams just roll over and die in the nfl like you see nba teams do post AS break

I still vote for the tournament to be the lottery tournament and not some worthless in season one

You can even set up safeguards so teams can’t stash and hold guys to tank and then bring them back for the lotto tourney

Big pot for bad teams to play for and bad teams get High picks for trying

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

Zion was hyped because of his crazy athleticism in a big body.

But I think there were more than a few on here who didn’t think Zion was a can’t miss.

Worthy of number 1 for sure.

But I know for one that I had Ja ranked at least as Zion’s equal.

He wasn’t on Wemby’s level as a prospect.

Zion came pre-loaded with haters because he went to Dook.

For all his games missed, he's still doubled Embiid's games played in their first 4 seasons post draft.