• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free agency and draft thread

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree. They definitely have to extend Micah and CeeDee and it will get done. I just don't understand the delay. Not sure what they do with Dak. Play out this season and see if he shows up in the play-offs? Or try to knock down some of his cap hit?
yeah figured 34 to 35 mil range.
As far as parsons. He is the one I wouldnt be in a hurry to sign. He has 2 more years on his Rookie contract.
CeeDee will get done. (this year) Then the Cowboys will decided what they are doing with Dak, (keeping him or letting him walk) & then by next year Parsons will be the priority (in my book)

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he’s smart he will hold out now while he has leverage.
what leverage is that?

If the Cowboys wanted. He could have zero say (outside of I quit) for the next three years.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A player can hold out any year.
you said "now while he has leverage"
Hasn’t been injured. Still young and one of the best pass rushers in the game. Many think they won’t resign Dak when it becomes time. That means Dak likely gets franchised for at least one year. A franchise tag provides limited cap flexibility. It becomes harder to sign a pass rusher to a deal when the QB is on what would likely be a $55 million a year salary on the cap.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn’t been injured. Still young and one of the best pass rushers in the game. Many think they won’t resign Dak when it becomes time. That means Dak likely gets franchised for at least one year. A franchise tag provides limited cap flexibility. It becomes harder to sign a pass rusher to a deal when the QB is on what would likely be a $55 million a year salary on the cap.
None of us know about what will happen with Dak.
But he cant be Fran tagged. he either gets resigned or leaves.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of us know about what will happen with Dak.
But he cant be Fran tagged. he either gets resigned or leaves.
Oh wow didn’t know that. Why can’t Dak be franchised?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prescott has no-tag and no-trade clauses in his contract. The no-tag clause is superfluous because his current tag figure would be $80M+.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys have committed themselves to pay Parsons $21M+ for next season even if he's injured or plays like crap this year. Obviously the Cowboys think he's worth more than $21M+. I doubt he'll hold out, but there's no reason for Parsons to play hard for the $5.4M he's due this season, (if you include his pro-rata signing bonus in that figure). He can coast, put in minimum time/effort, and generally be a locker-room cancer. I expect the Cowboys to extend him, Lamb, and Prescott before the season starts. As ever, I could be completely wrong.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys have committed themselves to pay Parsons $21M+ for next season even if he's injured or plays like crap this year. Obviously the Cowboys think he's worth more than $21M+. I doubt he'll hold out, but there's no reason for Parsons to play hard for the $5.4M he's due this season, (if you include his pro-rata signing bonus in that figure). He can coast, put in minimum time/effort, and generally be a locker-room cancer. I expect the Cowboys to extend him, Lamb, and Prescott before the season starts. As ever, I could be completely wrong.
this could be quite possible.
Dont think his ego will allow himself to coast however. He wants to be seen as the best.
Also I think lamb & Prescott will be dealt with prior to dealing with Parsons. if that is this year so be it, but good chance that is next year.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this could be quite possible.
Dont think his ego will allow himself to coast however. He wants to be seen as the best.
Also I think lamb & Prescott will be dealt with prior to dealing with Parsons. if that is this year so be it, but good chance that is next year.
I don't think Parsons will be a problem child either. If the Cowboys can get Parsons to perform for peanuts then much kudos to them.

The Cowboys will send a signal. Either they reward players who over-perform early, (because winning championships is the priority), or the Cowboys are a business-first organisation and rookies don't need to perform until year 4.

I think the perception is that the Eagles are all-in and that the Cowboys are all business.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Parsons will be a problem child either. If the Cowboys can get Parsons to perform for peanuts then much kudos to them.

The Cowboys will send a signal. Either they reward players who over-perform early, (because winning championships is the priority), or the Cowboys are a business-first organisation and rookies don't need to perform until year 4.

I think the perception is that the Eagles are all-in and that the Cowboys are all business.
Cowboys are definitely about business. No matter what Jerry says.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well sure but thankfully the game is played between the fat lines.

many times things aren't what they seem in June.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The damage is already done here. I don’t think the Cowboys are “all business”. If they were they would have been out ahead of the growth in salary. It’s the worst business model to wait until other people set the market for you. They’ve sat on their hands and watched the WR market and QB market blow up. They’re already chasing this thing.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parsons wont get extended this offseason. I dont believe any rookie has been extended in their 4th year of their rookie contract with their 5th year option looming in the last decade. His time is next offseason.

And he cant holdout. The penalties are way too severe. 3 days of missed training camp and he literally doesnt become a UFA any longer after his 5th year.

The last CBA put in some very strong language in for holdouts especially those under rookie deals. You wont see rookies holding out or even holding in when they are in their 4th year.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parsons wont get extended this offseason. I dont believe any rookie has been extended in their 4th year of their rookie contract with their 5th year option looming in the last decade. His time is next offseason.

And he cant holdout. The penalties are way too severe. 3 days of missed training camp and he literally doesnt become a UFA any longer after his 5th year.

The last CBA put in some very strong language in for holdouts especially those under rookie deals. You wont see rookies holding out or even holding in when they are in their 4th year.
Good stuff. Thanks. I didnt know about that language of the CBA.