• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free agency and draft thread

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fact they almost made the playoffs last year with their entire OL out at various points and one of the worst defenses in the NFL says that it's not a problem with the QB.... the new head coach will have something to say about the defense while the offense remains basically unchanged. Everyone knows Pete's system was horribly out-dated and any OC with a functioning brain could easily exploit it with over 10 years of game film to pick apart with the same ol' system.

Whatever. Guess we could just stay mediocre drafting top 15 QBs like the Bears over the last decade... but I'm sure Caleb Williams will pan out. :rolleyes2:

And Trevor Lawrence has a good ceiling but has shown little to be paid $55M per year... point being, why pay him that right now? Get through at least the 4 years on his rookie contract. And if Lawrence says he would walk... he's just in it for the cash. I bet he starts mailing it in and remains an overpaid mediocre QB for the rest of his career. Geno may be a mediocre (well he's not, he's actually above average according to the last 2 seasons, one of which was an injury for a tackle that is now illegal/flag/ejection worthy), but at least he's not overpaid... which Lawrence is.
Why pay Lawrence $55M a year?
That is what starting QBs are going these days and that number is only north going forward. If you already know TL is your QB then why wait 2 years and be forced to pay $65M+ when the rate goes up?

And why cheap out on a QB? Saving 25M is at best getting an upgrade here or there but no where near the value of paying a franchise QB. I wasn't necessarily taking a shot at Seattle, y'all just perfect example. Saving 25M a year because paying a cheaper QB but still sitting with major holes on the roster because that money doesn't go that far in the first place

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why pay Lawrence $55M a year?
That is what starting QBs are going these days and that number is only north going forward. If you already know TL is your QB then why wait 2 years and be forced to pay $65M+ when the rate goes up?

And why cheap out on a QB? Saving 25M is at best getting an upgrade here or there but no where near the value of paying a franchise QB. I wasn't necessarily taking a shot at Seattle, y'all just perfect example. Saving 25M a year because paying a cheaper QB but still sitting with major holes on the roster because that money doesn't go that far in the first place

Eh perhaps... Although in 3 years he'll prob. just want a new extension anyway so what's the point?

I also don't think he's really earned it... okay he won a playoff game because the Chargers shit the bed while committing like 4-5 turnovers...meh.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh perhaps... Although in 3 years he'll prob. just want a new extension anyway so what's the point?

I also don't think he's really earned it... okay he won a playoff game because the Chargers shit the bed while committing like 4-5 turnovers...meh.
I mean contracts are not what have you done for me but what can you do for me. And so far he's shown with Doug Peterson that they can drag the Jags from bottom-dwellers to winning games and playoff contenders when healthy. And at age 25, he's still have time to improve his overall consistency. At worst he's a just only a top 15 QB for your franchise but that's the rate for QBs these days anyway

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean contracts are not what have you done for me but what can you do for me. And so far he's shown with Doug Peterson that they can drag the Jags from bottom-dwellers to winning games and playoff contenders when healthy. And at age 25, he's still have time to improve his overall consistency. At worst he's a just only a top 15 QB for your franchise but that's the rate for QBs these days anyway

Unless you're Geno Smith who is playing better than Lawrence :D

Now yes I know Lawrence has the better upside and is 25... but if Seattle had even close to Jacksonville's D (which they will with a coach that now knows WTF to do with a collective group that was 11th in PFF ratings last year yet somehow fielded one of the worst defenses) they would've easily made the playoffs.

This just kind of seems like Daniel Jones 2.0... and yes I'd rather take Lawrence over Jones but meh..

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,021.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now yes I know Lawrence has the better upside and is 25... but if Seattle had even close to Jacksonville's D (which they will with a coach that now knows WTF to do with a collective group that was 11th in PFF ratings last year yet somehow fielded one of the worst defenses) they would've easily made the playoffs.

This just kind of seems like Daniel Jones 2.0... and yes I'd rather take Lawrence over Jones but meh..
Lawrence is a better QB than Jones.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Image result for your cranky heres a snickers gif

Image result for your cranky heres a snickers gif
Humanharvest407 Keke GIF - Humanharvest407 Keke Shark GIFs

:becky:

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't go so low as Danny Dimes level. Jones is a bottom tier starter and just will never be any good. Just too mentally weak to be anything special. I think Lawrence is in that group right now with Smith, Carr, Cousins, Watson, Tannehill, Mayfield, etc. All those guys in the 8-25 ranking range that the differences talent wise aren't huge and it's his age that is the bigger factor. His draft position and young age help him because obviously, he still could be very good. I'm not surprised by the signing. Knew it was coming and the Jags kinda had to do it at some time so they are looking at it as better now at this amount than next year at even more. These first contract extensions for QBs are rarely about what they have actually done and more about their status and potential. Having said that, TL needs to have a big season and show he's worth this soon because so far, he's been very average, at best.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He still has a high ceiling, he just isn’t what people thought for years. You still don’t let him walk bc of his talent. I guess the bright spot here is you sign him now at $55M/yr instead of waiting two more years at $70-80M/yr.

That’s all I got lol
I think that's the thought behind signing him early. Per over the cap, Patrick Mahomes cap hit for this coming season is like $37M. It jumps into the $60's the next year, but that number can easily be brought down by converting salary to signing bonus

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's even more baffling, he was only coming into his 4th year. Did someone tell the clown owner/GM that his rookie contract is for 4 years with a 5th year option? Did Lawrence say if he didn't get extended he's gonna walk in year 6? lol.. whatever.

If you wait a year, the price goes up as others get their extensions in the interim.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you wait a year, the price goes up as others get their extensions in the interim.

Sure... if he was a top tier QB I get it.. but Lawrence at this point is not. They're paying him like they expect him to be. He actually regressed last year.

Course then again it is the Jags...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure... if he was a top tier QB I get it.. but Lawrence at this point is not. They're paying him like they expect him to be. He actually regressed last year.

Course then again it is the Jags...

Doesn't really matter in most cases. Next up young franchise QB gets the next upper echelon QB contract.

Funny how overrated Lawrence tends to be. A bit too close statistically to Daniel Jones for comfort, although Jones has more starts (60 vs 50).

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't really matter in most cases. Next up young franchise QB gets the next upper echelon QB contract.

Funny how overrated Lawrence tends to be. A bit too close statistically to Daniel Jones for comfort, although Jones has more starts (60 vs 50).

L0ZC5zk.gif

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I prefer the comparison to Baker Mayfield. After 3 years, Baker was being ran out of Cleveland and has had to fight his way back for basically having almost the same level of success as TL.Granted, Baker had a better Oline in Cleveland and a OROY but similar shitty coaching early and slammed for battling through injury year 3. For Lawrence, it's been one excuse after another because he's liked by the media or maybe because they all are holding onto their predictions that he was a can't miss. He will definitely need to raise his game to the next level this year and beyond or the bust narrative will grow. Man, that draft class looks awful in hindsight. At least, as far as QBs go.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer the comparison to Baker Mayfield. After 3 years, Baker was being ran out of Cleveland and has had to fight his way back for basically having almost the same level of success as TL.Granted, Baker had a better Oline in Cleveland and a OROY but similar shitty coaching early and slammed for battling through injury year 3. For Lawrence, it's been one excuse after another because he's liked by the media or maybe because they all are holding onto their predictions that he was a can't miss. He will definitely need to raise his game to the next level this year and beyond or the bust narrative will grow. Man, that draft class looks awful in hindsight. At least, as far as QBs go.
Baker was 26 years old. Lawrence is 24.

The Lawrence haters are pretty goofy. Like Jacksonville was supposed to be something and getting drafted by urban Meyer was a good spot to land.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,021.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas signed ex Raiders CB Gareon Conley. Hasn't played in the NFL in 4 years.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas signed ex Raiders CB Gareon Conley. Hasn't played in the NFL in 4 years.
That’s one of the only moves the Cowboys have made in this years free agency which shows how pathetic their offseason has been. I mean other than getting Zeke back and signing Kendricks at LB, they’ve done jack shit. And Jerry somehow thinks they’ll be able to contend for a Super Bowl this year - I don’t see it. In fact I could see the Cowboys missing the playoffs altogether - I like Dak but he can’t do it all, their rushing game looks weak, they only have 2 proven WRs in Lamb and Cooks (albeit 2 very good WRs) and their edge rush looks shaky.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s one of the only moves the Cowboys have made in this years free agency which shows how pathetic their offseason has been. I mean other than getting Zeke back and signing Kendricks at LB, they’ve done jack shit. And Jerry somehow thinks they’ll be able to contend for a Super Bowl this year - I don’t see it. In fact I could see the Cowboys missing the playoffs altogether - I like Dak but he can’t do it all, their rushing game looks weak, they only have 2 proven WRs in Lamb and Cooks (albeit 2 very good WRs) and their edge rush looks shaky.
LOL
we'll see

could be worse, least we're not the Saints.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL
we'll see

could be worse, least we're not the Saints.
You guys definitely have a playoff chance - there’s enough talent in Dallas to contend for the division crown or a wild card spot, although I think the Eagles are the favorites to win the NFC East. But I don’t think there’s enough talent there to win the Super Bowl, they did basically nothing to improve from last season, and the rushing game and edge rush are concerns. But yeah things could definitely be worse for you guys - at least you’re not the Giants or Cards or Saints or Panthers to name a few NFC teams that will likely suck.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys definitely have a playoff chance - there’s enough talent in Dallas to contend for the division crown or a wild card spot, although I think the Eagles are the favorites to win the NFC East. But I don’t think there’s enough talent there to win the Super Bowl, they did basically nothing to improve from last season, and the rushing game and edge rush are concerns. But yeah things could definitely be worse for you guys - at least you’re not the Giants or Cards or Saints or Panthers to name a few NFC teams that will likely suck.
Of Course the Eagles are the favorites to win the division.
NFCE has to keep its streak going!